Is it really illegal to snap a picture of a clerk in a Post Office?

Old March 30th 13, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank S

Default Is it really illegal to snap a picture of a clerk in a Post Office?

On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

On 3/29/2013 11:31 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:

L Snip

I take a lot of candid photographs, and I believe in the rights of
the
photographer as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to get some
employee's ass chewed out by his supervisor even if the supervisor
is
wrong.

I'd let it go.

FWIW. I've never met a post office employee who didn't deserve an ass
chewing. Just sayin'.

Then you ought to take a visit to the Paso Robles, California post
office, where you will find staff as efficient, and helpful as you
might find in some of the best managed, user friendly businesses in
the country. It is a fairly large post office which deals with the
needs of a medium size town and the vast rural delivery needs found in
Northern San Luis Obispo County. I can't remember being treated less
than civilly, or getting less than good service from any of that
branch's employees.

Methinks you are tarring all USPS employees with the same brush.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/53/152...992d24ff_o.jpg

USPS employee at work in the Passport Photo Studio, February 2005.

The sky and Earth didn't open up, no thunder nor lightning.

--
Frank ess

Old March 30th 13, 09:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

I like the studio lighting. ;-)

Savageduck

Old March 30th 13, 11:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.03.29 22:14 , Danny D. wrote:
Is it illegal to snap a photograph of a clerk inside a post office?

May I ask:
Legally, in California, in a Post Office, when nobody objects,
is it against the law to snap a photograph or otherwise record
the transaction?

No idea. But really ... the US post office is still on rules that date
to the pony express when cameras were a novelty. I doubt there is a
rule against taking a photo.

The person to ask would be the local postmaster. Not an employee in a
store. If the "officer in charge" claims such a rule, ask him to
produce the rule next time you're by the shop. And "local" rules don't
count.

The question to ask, always (of cops, guards and now posties) is:

"Oh, is that so? Please produce the rule or law. If you can't
produce it I'll wait while you call your supervisor and ask him
to produce it. What is your name again? Spell that please? Your
badge/employee number? Yes, indeed, whenever I'm harassed I make
sure I have what I need to report it."

I often ship parcels or registered letters and I always take a bar-scan
of the shipping label (using the Canada Post app and phone camera). I
could take photos of the postal clerk and I doubt she would object.

--
"There were, unfortunately, no great principles on which parties
were divided – politics became a mere struggle for office."

Old March 30th 13, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2013.03.30 10:01 , Scott Schuckert wrote:

property. Despite all appearances, the post office is no longer part of
the government; legally, they're a private company that's been given a
monopoly contract to deliver the mail.

Despite re-org it remains an agency (government monopoly) of the US
Gubmint. The bored gubners are appointed by the guy at 1600 PA Av in
DC. (staggered terms).

Old March 31st 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaxD

On 3/30/2013 9:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

Not at all. I really meant to limit my disparaging remark to actual post
office employees and not to postal deliverymen/women.
I have had some good deliverymen and some not so good.
On the other hand my original comment stands.
I may not have had enough exposure since during our travels I rarely use
a post office. But the local (El Paso, TX) service in the offices is
nothing to be proud of.
Old March 31st 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MaxD

On 3/30/2013 10:38 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 08:27:06 -0600, MaxD wrote:

:
: FWIW. I've never met a post office employee who didn't deserve an ass
: chewing. Just sayin'.

I have, often. Every time I've done business at the window in the post office
across the street from my office, the clerks have been unfailingly friendly
and helpful.

Bob

There seem to be several fortunate post office patrons here.
It might have been my unfortunate experience to be attended to shortly
after some particularly disgruntled customer who left the clerk in a bad
mood. I try to be as unassuming and pleasant as I can when dealing with
the public (or, in this case P.O. employees) because I use to wear
shirts with a logo for "Agency Services", my small company.
Maybe it's a local meme. :-)

Old March 31st 13, 04:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

The USPS employees I speak of work behind the counter, in the sorting
rooms, are USPS delivery persons, and rural delivery contractors.

I have had some good deliverymen and some not so good.
On the other hand my original comment stands.
I may not have had enough exposure since during our travels I rarely
use a post office. But the local (El Paso, TX) service in the offices
is nothing to be proud of.

Well, that is Texas for you.

Savageduck

Old April 1st 13, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 3/30/2013 11:33 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

I am forced to disagree. the workers at our local PO would be hard to
top for being friendly and efficient. Indeed I have rarely found a USPS
employee who isn't quite friendly and helpful. They are people and if
you cop an attitude, they certainly would be justified in responding in
kind.

--
PeterN
Old April 1st 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_3_]

On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

So you never take a coffee break?

--
PeterN
Old April 1st 13, 01:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-30 07:27:06 -0700, MaxD said:

[...]

I am forced to disagree.

Who are you disagreeing with, MaxD, or me??

the workers at our local PO would be hard to top for being friendly and
efficient. Indeed I have rarely found a USPS employee who isn't quite
friendly and helpful. They are people and if you cop an attitude, they
certainly would be justified in responding in kind.

You seem to be in agreement with me.

Savageduck