Almost OT - I need help with iPad

Old January 3rd 14, 07:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Almost OT - I need help with iPad

On 2014-01-02 03:48:26 +0000, nospam said:

nospam:
another way is to use the dropbox app and just move the pdfs into
the dropbox folder on your computer and then download them on the
ipad (syncing is not automatic for dropbox on the ipad due to
limited space there). you can read the pdf in the dropbox app or
you can move it to another app, such as apple's ibooks.

OK! I don't have a problem moving files between my desktop and my
iDevices (iPhone & iPad). I am just curious as to what you mean by
what you said above; "syncing is not automatic for Dropbox on the
iPad due to limited space there".

You browse Dropbox on your iOS device, the content of your dropbox folder
isn't synced, automatically or manually, to your iDevice. You can download
selected files to your iOS device, but you can't sync your entire Dropbox
directory.

Luckily, I might add, since I have 250GB on my dropbox account.

With Dropbox as I use it, retains all uploaded files on their server
not the iDevice, they are only opened in a selected app via the
"Open In" Dropbox option. There is no syncing at all regardless of
space, limited or not.

Exactly, which is in opposition to how it works on your computer(s) where
all content on your Dropbox repository is automatically synced down to the
hard drive of your computer(s). I.e. if you add a file from a computer or
an iOS device, it will be automatically downloaded to all your computers,
but not all your iOS devices (and presumably none of your Android devices
either).

Android!!!
In this household we are taking Mac, MBP, iPad, iPhone x2.

The one Android device I owned (a Motorola phone) has long since gone
to join the choir invisible.

Savageduck

Old January 3rd 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.01.01, 22:31 , Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm trying to add the manuals for my camera and my flashes to my iOS7
iPad as PDF files. I am having no luck whatsoever. Judging by Google
results, I am far from alone with this.

I've got the files into the iTunes library on my computer, but there
they sit. What do I do to get them into the iPad?

in iTunes, select the device (the iPad) in the sidebar.
(if the sidebar is hidden, use "View" | Show Sidebar to view it).

Then on the sub-bar (below the Appple logo) select "Books"

Make sure "sync books" is checked.
Select "all books" or "selected books" as per your needs.
-if the latter, make sure the desired book is selected in the Books
window.
-also set the "Books/Pdf" / "Books and Pdf" dropdown as needed.

Hit "sync" at the bottom...

( iTunes is a hideous piece of **** to be sure ....)
--
“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.”
- Mike Tyson

Old January 3rd 14, 08:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014.01.03, 15:48 , Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.01.01, 22:31 , Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm trying to add the manuals for my camera and my flashes to my iOS7
iPad as PDF files. I am having no luck whatsoever. Judging by Google
results, I am far from alone with this.

I've got the files into the iTunes library on my computer, but there
they sit. What do I do to get them into the iPad?

in iTunes, sel...

oops - I see that was covered already...

Old January 3rd 14, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 04:56:38 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

But Google says it doesn't work like that for a lot of
people. That includes me.

i don't know what you or anyone on google is doing. it works as i
described.

any file that itunes can handle can be dragged to itunes (which
includes pdfs) and it will automatically figure out what to do with the
file. there is no reason to manually add to library by digging through
the file system (but you can if you want to do it the hard way).

See https://discussions.apple.com/message/22109574#22109574 and
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23122492#23122492 as examples.

big deal. a couple of people doesn't mean it happens to everyone.

There are a lot like that. I don't know how many people it happens to
but it does show that I am neither alone nor making it up.

i didn't say you made it up.

however, it's not a widespread issue.

itunes has always supported drag/drop. it's a fundamental and natural
user interface action.

if it doesn't work on your system (or the above posters), then there's
something wrong.

Yep. The question is 'what?'

it's hard to tell from afar.

It's hard (for me) to tell from up close.

Eric Stevens
Old January 3rd 14, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 04:56:39 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Now, not only have I downloaded the manuals for the D300 and the
SB600, but I have also installed the manual for the Canon G12 and the
Sigma macro flash. Life is wunnerful.

not if you're stuck using a sigma product.

It's a good flash and at the time it was the only flash I could get
which would suit my 15mm macro.

Ahem! 105mm macro.

Just afterwards, Nikon brought out
their R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System. I couldn't wait.

sigma flashes don't properly support nikon's ittl.

This one was compatible up to the D2. However there has been
considerable development of i-TTL since then and the flash doesn't
know anything about this. Not that this matters to me.

however, if you use it in non-ittl, it might be fine.

It is.

Eric Stevens
Old January 3rd 14, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 15:48:38 -0500, Alan Browne
wrote:

On 2014.01.01, 22:31 , Eric Stevens wrote:
I'm trying to add the manuals for my camera and my flashes to my iOS7
iPad as PDF files. I am having no luck whatsoever. Judging by Google
results, I am far from alone with this.

I've got the files into the iTunes library on my computer, but there
they sit. What do I do to get them into the iPad?

in iTunes, select the device (the iPad) in the sidebar.
(if the sidebar is hidden, use "View" | Show Sidebar to view it).

Then on the sub-bar (below the Appple logo) select "Books"

Make sure "sync books" is checked.
Select "all books" or "selected books" as per your needs.
-if the latter, make sure the desired book is selected in the Books
window.
-also set the "Books/Pdf" / "Books and Pdf" dropdown as needed.

Hit "sync" at the bottom...

( iTunes is a hideous piece of **** to be sure ....)

Don't be cruel. It's a good example of thoroughly intuitive software.
I mean to say, it has to be intuitive: there is no obvious logic at
all to many parts of it. :-)

Eric Stevens
Old January 3rd 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

( iTunes is a hideous piece of **** to be sure ....)

Don't be cruel. It's a good example of thoroughly intuitive software.
I mean to say, it has to be intuitive: there is no obvious logic at
all to many parts of it. :-)

what parts have no logic?

itunes is very buggy, with many of those bugs having been there for
years and show no signs of being fixed, but other than that it's
reasonably well designed.

a lack of intuitiveness is *not* one of its shortfalls.
Old January 3rd 14, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article 201401031154036383-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

With Dropbox as I use it, retains all uploaded files on their server
not the iDevice, they are only opened in a selected app via the
"Open In" Dropbox option. There is no syncing at all regardless of
space, limited or not.

Exactly, which is in opposition to how it works on your computer(s) where
all content on your Dropbox repository is automatically synced down to the
hard drive of your computer(s). I.e. if you add a file from a computer or
an iOS device, it will be automatically downloaded to all your computers,
but not all your iOS devices (and presumably none of your Android devices
either).

Android!!!
In this household we are taking Mac, MBP, iPad, iPhone x2.

The one Android device I owned (a Motorola phone) has long since gone
to join the choir invisible.

doesn't matter if it's android or ios.

with rare exception, dropbox on mobile devices is not automatic.
Old January 3rd 14, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Now, not only have I downloaded the manuals for the D300 and the
SB600, but I have also installed the manual for the Canon G12 and the
Sigma macro flash. Life is wunnerful.

not if you're stuck using a sigma product.

It's a good flash and at the time it was the only flash I could get
which would suit my 15mm macro.

Ahem! 105mm macro.

that did seem a bit short.

Just afterwards, Nikon brought out
their R1 Wireless Close-Up Speedlight System. I couldn't wait.

sigma flashes don't properly support nikon's ittl.

This one was compatible up to the D2. However there has been
considerable development of i-TTL since then and the flash doesn't
know anything about this. Not that this matters to me.

sounds like d-ttl, not i-ttl.

sigma only supports part of i-ttl, not all of it.

you can still use it in manual or automatic modes.

however, if you use it in non-ittl, it might be fine.

It is.

ok
Old January 3rd 14, 09:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

....er, WHOOSH!

Savageduck