Best advice for those wanting iPad

Old April 18th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Haar[_2_]

Default Best advice for those wanting iPad

On 4/18/10 11:35 AM, "sobriquet" wrote:

Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
implemented, while pocket pc users have been enjoying multitasking
for years.

My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
don't feel a need for more.

It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.

Old April 18th 10, 06:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
sobriquet wrote:

Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
iPhone?

at the same time? an app could do that but *why* ?

That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
various kinds of music
and audiobooks simultaneously).

wtf?

Does it have gps and an orientation sensor so you can automatically
orientate pictures and record gps data in the exif info?

of course it does. it has a gps and a 3d accelerometer, not just an
orientation sensor.

Does the iPhone allow you to record phone calls?

no. recording phone calls is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Does it allow you to use the iPhone as
a voicemail or answering machine to automatically handle calls or
present callers with an interactive menu of options?

why would anyone want to do that on a phone? there are free or
inexpensive services that do that a lot more reliably.
Old April 18th 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-04-18 10:05:54 -0700, sobriquet said:

On 18 apr, 18:01, Robert Haar wrote:
On 4/18/10 11:35 AM, "sobriquet" wrote:

Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
implemented, while pocket pc users have been enjoying multitasking
for years.

My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
don't feel a need for more.

It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.

Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
iPhone?
That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
various kinds of music
and audiobooks simultaneously).

What a load of BS!
I suppose you do that, while simultaneously skateboarding across a
freeway, balancing a tray of cocktails on your butt, playing a
saxophone, downloading stolen software, writing a doctoral
dissertation, scratching your head, and posting to this NG.

Such talent!

Does it have gps and an orientation sensor so you can automatically
orientate pictures and record gps data in the exif info?

Does the iPhone allow you to record phone calls? Does it allow you to
use the iPhone as
a voicemail or answering machine to automatically handle calls or
present callers with an interactive menu of options?

Your ignorance based on personal bias is only to be expected.

Savageduck

Old April 18th 10, 06:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/18/10 11:01 AM, in article , "Robert
Haar" wrote:

On 4/18/10 11:35 AM, "sobriquet" wrote:

Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
implemented, while pocket pc users have been enjoying multitasking
for years.

My iPhone (not jail broken) allows me to be on a phone call while I am
reading email or browsing the web. And I get background push notifications
through several apps. While it may not be technically full multitasking, I
don't feel a need for more.

It sounds like you have drunk Google's Cool-aid.

He has A.D.D. and the need for that is mostly uncontrollable. Much like
Bloomberg Television on steroids...

Old April 18th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
George Kerby

On 4/18/10 12:47 PM, in article
2010041810470347408-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"

Old April 18th 10, 09:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
sobriquet wrote:

Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
iPhone?

at the same time? an app could do that but *why* ?

Because you can enjoy music and audiobooks simultaneously.

maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.

Just like you can read a book while listening to music.

that can easily be done.

That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
various kinds of music
and audiobooks simultaneously).

wtf?

It's great. There is a lot of music (la monte young, john cage, ..)
that is quite
suitable for mixing it up with other music or playing it in the
background as a backdrop
for other music.

so get an app that lets you mix. it's not something most people are
going to want to do.

Does it have gps and an orientation sensor so you can automatically
orientate pictures and record gps data in the exif info?

of course it does. it has a gps and a 3d accelerometer, not just an
orientation sensor.

Does the iPhone allow you to record phone calls?

no. recording phone calls is illegal in many jurisdictions.

Not where I live (Netherlands, Europe).
Publishing a recorded private conversation might be another matter.

netherlands isn't the only place where they're sold.

Does it allow you to use the iPhone as
a voicemail or answering machine to automatically handle calls or
present callers with an interactive menu of options?

why would anyone want to do that on a phone? there are free or
inexpensive services that do that a lot more reliably.

Because that's the kind of functionality you'd expect from a pocket
computer.

it's not a pocket computer.

I can use Skype on my computer to call people on their regular phone
or mobile and use an audio application to record the conversation.
With software like Automate it should also be possible to handle Skype
calls automatically.

there may be voip apps that can do it, but not via the regular iphone
phone number.
Old April 18th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
sobriquet wrote:

Because you can enjoy music and audiobooks simultaneously.

maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.

Or maybe they didn't realize they could and they didn't realize that
it
is extremely enjoyable.

i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.

The pleasure derived from listening
to good music adds up to the pleasure derived from listening
to a fascinating audiobook.

get an audiobook with music then.

Sometimes I worry that I might die of a pleasure overdose, but
pleasure is one of those rare things that you can't have too much of.

Far more easy to listen to an audiobook than to read a book. Listening
to a book
is a passive activity where you have your mind available to reflect
upon the
content of the book, while reading is an active talk that can make you
tired
as it requires effort on your part to make your eyes trace the
sentences and
you constantly have to match the end of the line to the start of the
subsequent
line.

yet more people read books than listen to them.

Evolutionarily speaking, sound and spoken language is much more
ingrained in our evolutionary makeup compared to written language that
you have to convert to spoken language in your head.

whatever.

so get an app that lets you mix. it's not something most people are
going to want to do.

No, because why would you need a separate application for
multitasking.. that's silly.

playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
multitasking.

All you need is simply 2 or 3 music players that will play
simultaneously and independently.

it's not something that very many people care to do.

it's not a pocket computer.

Hehehe... right.. Apple has put so many restrictions on its
functionality that you can't
consider it a real pocket computer.

nonsense.
Old April 18th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
sobriquet wrote:

i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.

I doubt that you have ever seriously listened to audiobooks.

i doubt that listening to music *and* an audiobook is representative of
most users.

You're silly. The whole point of multitasking and running separate
applications
is that you can play it back in endless combinations.
I think it's hard to explain to people who have never enjoyed this.
It's like trying to explain how wonderful music is to people who have
never heard
music.

it's not something most people *do*. get real.

yet more people read books than listen to them.

Gee.. perhaps that has something to do with the fact that audio
recordings have been a relatively recent invention, compared to the
invention of scripture?

no.

Right, you probably don't give a **** about your evolutionary
background.

you're right, i don't. wtf does that have to do with multitasking?

playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
multitasking.

I'm simply talking about running two or more applications
simultaneously and independently.

that both produce audio on top of each other.

I might enjoy a game of go while listening to music (and maybe an
audiobook or language course on the side). Or I might use mapsource to
explore the topographical map of my surroundings while enjoying music
and audiobooks.

you can do that on an iphone, other than listen to two songs or books
or whatever at the same time.

next thing you know you'll want to watch two movies at the same time.

If only they knew about this reliable method to induce sheer bliss.

i can think of better ways.

Apple devices like iPods and iPhones are infamous for artificial
restrictions.
You have to hack your way around DRM and other nonsense.

nonsense.
Old April 18th 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article
,
sobriquet wrote:

On 18 apr, 23:48, nospam wrote:
In article
,

sobriquet wrote:
i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.

I doubt that you have ever seriously listened to audiobooks.

i doubt that listening to music *and* an audiobook is representative of
most users.

So you simply deny it might be useful to run multiple applications at
the same time?

never said that.

listening to two or more audio sources at the same time is not
something most people want to do.

however, they might want to listen to music and play a game, while the
phone listens for email or sms text messages. actual real world
scenarios.

I mean real applications, not things that can be run simultaneously
because they are integrated into the operating system in a special
way.

yes, real applications.

You're silly. The whole point of multitasking and running separate
applications
is that you can play it back in endless combinations.
I think it's hard to explain to people who have never enjoyed this.
It's like trying to explain how wonderful music is to people who have
never heard
music.

it's not something most people *do*. get real.

Multitasking on the computer is something people do all the time.
Just because you have a mobile version of a computer, that's no reason
to stop multitasking.

actually no. most people use one application at a time. if you are
watching a movie, are you also reading an ebook? if you are playing a
game are you also editing images in photoshop?

you might have an email app running in the background and if it beeps
for new email, you *switch* to it, read the email, then switch back to
photoshop or whatever and continue working.

Hmmmm, and the fact that people share mp3s much more on p2p than books
has nothing to do with the fact that books are much harder to digitize
(compared to music) either?

not so much anymore, and ebooks can be found online too for those that
really want to go that route.

Right, you probably don't give a **** about your evolutionary
background.

you're right, i don't. wtf does that have to do with multitasking?

It has to do with the difference between reading a book and listening
to an audiobook.
Anyone who has done both activities for any significant amount of time
will testify that an audiobook is superior in many respects compared
to a book in print (or ebook). Though in some respects, books in print
also have certain advantages, like making it easier to search for
particular
words or sentences in the text.

it's easier to search in an ebook (which can be read via speech
synthesis by the way). you *can't* search a printed book.

So it's preferable to have both the ebook and audiobook version, and
reading along while listening can also be nice (especially when
listening to audiobooks to practice a foreign language).

there are plenty of apps designed for learning foreign languages.

playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
multitasking.

I'm *simply talking about running two or more applications
simultaneously and independently.

that both produce audio on top of each other.

Like people having a conversation in a bar where there is music
playing in the background.
How many people do you know who would object to this arguing they
can't talk or listen
when the music distracts them?

what does that have to do with listening to two sound sources on the
*same* speakers?

you can do that on an iphone, other than listen to two songs or books
or whatever at the same time.

I doubt it, as I'm talking about running multiple applications and
this article suggests iPhone users are still waiting for true
multitasking:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html

'true multitasking' has no technical definition. the fact remains that
you *can* do multiple things on an iphone.

next thing you know you'll want to watch two movies at the same time.

Some applications are more suitable for multitasking than others.

true, which is used to an advantage on mobile devices.

If only they knew about this reliable method to induce sheer bliss.

i can think of better ways.

Orgasms are kind of boring compared to the type of bliss I'm talking
about.

maybe you are doing it wrong.

Information is the best drug.

you obviously need a higher dosage, since you lack quite a bit of
information about iphones.

So you can use your iPhone/iPod as a memory stick and simply drag and
drop music on it from the desktop?

sure can, and without wires too.

I know that in the past it was not that easy.. DRM hasn't been
abolished from the iTunes store for that long.

so what? it's gone now.

drm was there due to the record companies. apple has always said it was
not something they wanted to do.