Write speed on Digital Rebel?

Old July 18th 04, 01:47 AM
ppdavid

Default Write speed on Digital Rebel?

What is the write speed of a Digital Rebel? I am writing to a Lexar 1G 40X
card. One camera shop told me that the Rebel writes at about 12X but also
told me that they thought that Canon was coming out with a mod that would
bump that up to a higher number. Anyone know about this subject? I have
seen web sites that provide hacks to the computer DOS but nothing offers
help in this area. I would like to improve the write speed for taking
action shots.
My first time in this newsgroup. If this is the wrong newsgroup for this
question, someone point me in the right direction.

Old July 18th 04, 01:59 AM
Bill Hilton

From: "ppdavid"

What is the write speed of a Digital Rebel? I am writing to a
Lexar 1G 40X card.

~ 8.4x with that particular card, according to this site.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

One camera shop told me that the Rebel writes at about 12X

~ 8.9x with the fastest card Rob tested, with a 60x Sandisk. I've been testing
a 40X Lexar, two different 60X Sandisks (Ultra and Extreme) and a 2 GB Lexar
80x on my 1D Mark II and there's just a slight difference between them,
indicating the camera is the bottleneck.

I would like to improve the write speed for taking
action shots.

You'll probably need a new camera for that. This camera is pretty much pegged
out with the Lexar, according to the site I referenced.

Bill

Old July 18th 04, 01:59 AM
Bill Hilton

Old July 18th 04, 02:15 AM
ppdavid

Bill,
Thanks. Answer part of my question. I was hoping someone would confirm
that Canon is going to issue a mod to improve the write speed....or point me
to a hack that I could do myself. If that does not happen, it does not
look like there is any reason to pay a premium for cards over 40X..
Paul

Old July 18th 04, 02:19 AM
G.T.

ppdavid wrote:
What is the write speed of a Digital Rebel? I am writing to a Lexar 1G 40X
card. One camera shop told me that the Rebel writes at about 12X but also
told me that they thought that Canon was coming out with a mod that would
bump that up to a higher number. Anyone know about this subject? I have
seen web sites that provide hacks to the computer DOS but nothing offers
help in this area. I would like to improve the write speed for taking
action shots.

You need a camera with a bigger buffer, not one with better write
speeds. The write speed will never be good enough for action shots.

And the 40x and such designations are so far from reality in any
practical consideration that those designations should be ignored.
Actual write speeds should be looked up if they exist.

Greg

--
Destroy your safe and happy lives
Before it is too late
Old July 18th 04, 02:35 AM
G.T.

ppdavid wrote:

Bill,
Thanks. Answer part of my question. I was hoping someone would confirm
that Canon is going to issue a mod to improve the write speed....or point me
to a hack that I could do myself. If that does not happen, it does not
look like there is any reason to pay a premium for cards over 40X..

Highly unlikely. This is a hardware bottleneck rather than a firmware
bottleneck.

I'm running the hacked firmware and it brings many cool features to the
DR but that firmware is never going to overcome hardware limitations.

http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html

Greg
Old July 18th 04, 11:02 AM
Alfred Molon

ppdavid wrote:
What is the write speed of a Digital Rebel? I am writing to a Lexar 1G 40X
card. One camera shop told me that the Rebel writes at about 12X but also
told me that they thought that Canon was coming out with a mod that would
bump that up to a higher number. Anyone know about this subject? I have
seen web sites that provide hacks to the computer DOS but nothing offers
help in this area. I would like to improve the write speed for taking
action shots.

1.5 MB/s according to dpreview. The D70 is much faster here, being able
to write to the memory card at 4 MB/s.
--

Alfred Molon