18m 10mm?

Old July 18th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Vass[_3_]

Default 18m 10mm?

Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm
(OK I understand i get a better apeture as well)
TIA
--
Vass

Old July 18th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Vass wrote:
Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm
(OK I understand i get a better apeture as well)
TIA

The 24mm focal length is already included in the 18mm - 55mm range.

With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a lens
of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR
produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

More precise details once you give the make - as DSLRs differ in the exact
amount by which they crop the 35mm image frame.

David

Old July 18th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

"Vass" wrote:
Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

Yes, but: it also depends on what kind of camera you are using this
lens.
On a full-frame camera 50mm is considered 'normal' while on camera with
a DX-size sensor 32mm or 33mm are considered 'normal' (crop factor of
1.5 resp. 1.6).

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm

Different horse. Lenses with a fixed focal length (often called 'prime')
are typically higher quality (and as you mentioned often faster) lenses.
This is because a zoom lens has to be jack of all trades errrrmmm, focal
length which requires compromises, while a prime lens is optimized for
one particular focal length only.

jue
Old July 18th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Vass[_3_]

"David J Taylor"
wrote in
message m...
Vass wrote:
Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm
(OK I understand i get a better apeture as well)
TIA

The 24mm focal length is already included in the 18mm - 55mm range.

With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a lens
of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR
produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

More precise details once you give the make - as DSLRs differ in the exact
amount by which they crop the 35mm image frame.

Canon EOS 350D
thanks for the info
--
Vass

Old July 18th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Vass wrote:
[]
Canon EOS 350D
thanks for the info

... so what I wrote is approximately true, and your 18mm - 55mm lens is
"wide angle" at the 18mm end and "medium telephoto" at the 55mm end. It's
a general purpose, light, low-cost, do-everything lens. Until you learn
more about using the camera, I would suggest not buying any more lenses.

Cheers,
David

Old July 18th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

David J Taylor wrote:

Vass wrote:
Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm
(OK I understand i get a better apeture as well)
TIA

The 24mm focal length is already included in the 18mm - 55mm range.

With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a lens
of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR
produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

Uh...27mm on the wide end?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old July 18th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:19:31 +0100, Vass wrote:

With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a lens
of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR
produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

More precise details once you give the make - as DSLRs differ in the exact
amount by which they crop the 35mm image frame.

Canon EOS 350D
thanks for the info

The math is very simple for any other lens you might want to
consider. To find out the "effective" focal length, you multiply by
a factor determined by your camera's sensor size. For Nikon's DX
cameras, this is 1.5. For your EOS 350D, it's 1.6. So multiplying
18 and 55
Old July 18th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ASAAR

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:19:31 +0100, Vass wrote:

(oops - hit the wrong key while typing sent the reply prematurely)

With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a lens
of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens on a DSLR
produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

More precise details once you give the make - as DSLRs differ in the exact
amount by which they crop the 35mm image frame.

Canon EOS 350D
thanks for the info

The math is very simple for any other lens you might want to
consider. To find out the "effective" focal length, you multiply by
a factor determined by your camera's sensor size. For Nikon's DX
cameras, this is 1.5. For your EOS 350D, it's 1.6. So multiplying
18 and 55 by 1.6 shows that the 18-55mm lens is equivalent to a
28.8-88mm lens on a 35mm camera, and 28.8 is considered to be a mild
wide angle. The same lens on a Nikon body would be equivalent to
using a 27-82.5mm lens.

Your 24mm and 28mm lenses would be considered to be wide angle
lenses if used on 35mm cameras or on DSLRs having large "Full Frame"
sensors. On your EOS 350D, they're equivalent to 38.4mm and 44.8mm
lenses, which really put then in the Normal (not Wide) category.

Old July 19th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"Vass" wrote:
Can someone clarify something for me?

kit lens 18-55mm
I see 24mm and 28mm prime lenses listed as "wide angle"
so is my kit lens a "Wide angle" at the 18mm end?

Yes, but: it also depends on what kind of camera you are using this
lens.
On a full-frame camera 50mm is considered 'normal' while on camera with
a DX-size sensor 32mm or 33mm are considered 'normal' (crop factor of
1.5 resp. 1.6).

or is there a difference?
i.e. would I benefit from buying the 24mm

Different horse. Lenses with a fixed focal length (often called 'prime')

Often MISTAKENLY called "prime," yes. But this misusage, through the wonder
of Usenet, has become epidemic and is now immensely popular with misled
lovers of jargon everywhere.

are typically higher quality (and as you mentioned often faster) lenses.
This is because a zoom lens has to be jack of all trades errrrmmm, focal
length which requires compromises, while a prime lens is optimized for
one particular focal length only.

Not when the prime lens is a zoom lens, of course.

Example: I have occasionally used my 50mm lens on a reversing ring, nose to
nose with my 18-55mm kit lens. In that setup the 18-55 (on the camera) is
the prime lens and the 50 is the supplementary lens.

Nothing about the word "prime" means, suggests or implies "fixed focal
length" or fixed anything else. "Prime" in the case of "prime lens" means
primary, first in order, original, etc. -- all dictionary definitons for
"prime." In other words, the prime lens is the camera lens, as distinct from
some other lens used with it.

Neil

Old July 19th 08, 07:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_5_]

Blinky the Shark wrote:
David J Taylor wrote:

[]
With a typical digital SLR, the sensor is smaller than the full 35mm
frame, so the image is cropped. The result is as if you had used a
lens of about 1.5 times the marked focal length, so the 18-55mm lens
on a DSLR produces the same image as a 24-82mm lens on a film camera.

Uh...27mm on the wide end?

Yes, I meant 27 but wrote 24! Sorry. Thanks for pointing out the error.

David