Travel to Greece: do you regret not bringing a certain lens?

Old May 15th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Travel to Greece: do you regret not bringing a certain lens?

For anyone with experience photographing in Greece,
do you regret not bringing a long lens, and how long
do you think you needed? I want to travel light,
so I was not planning on telephotos (I have the
wide end covered). I'll be bringing a 30D,
and 24 mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 28-135 IS,
70-200 f/4 L IS, a 1.4x TC (to reach 280mm)
and a CF tripod with panoramic head. If, in your
experience you needed/wanted longer than 280mm,
what subjects did you feel that need for?

Roger
photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com
Old May 15th 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
carrera d'olbani

If, in your
experience you needed/wanted longer than 280mm,
what subjects did you feel that need for?

A monk praying on the high cliff in Meteora ?

Old May 15th 07, 09:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sophie Wilson

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
:

For anyone with experience photographing in Greece,
do you regret not bringing a long lens, and how long
do you think you needed? I want to travel light,
so I was not planning on telephotos (I have the
wide end covered). I'll be bringing a 30D,
and 24 mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 28-135 IS,
70-200 f/4 L IS, a 1.4x TC (to reach 280mm)
and a CF tripod with panoramic head. If, in your
experience you needed/wanted longer than 280mm,
what subjects did you feel that need for?

I used a 300mm lens on a Pentax K10D to take pictures of the Acropolis from
the surrounding hills in Athens. It wasn't long enough... (Potentially you
can get splendid pictures of the Parthenon and Erectheon, rather than a
wider shot of the top of the Acropolis.) I didn't take a tripod, but you
can repeat the same feat at night when its floodlit to advantage... I left
my FA 50 f1.4 at home that trip, taking "only" a DA 14 f2.8, Sigma 18-125
and Tamron 70-300. (I certainly needed the DA 14 for shots on the Acropolis
itself.) So I most regretted not having my FA* 400 f5.6 as well (or maybe
instead of the 70-300).

--Sophie
Old May 15th 07, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Gilbert

Roger N. Clark

Whatever lens you take I'd strongly recommend also
taking a polarising filter.

Chris

Old May 15th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

Ο "Chris Gilbert" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Roger N. Clark

Whatever lens you take I'd strongly recommend also
taking a polarising filter.

Chris

Absolutely
(from Greece)

Old May 15th 07, 11:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dennis Pogson

Chris Gilbert wrote:
Roger N. Clark

Whatever lens you take I'd strongly recommend also
taking a polarising filter.

Chris

Mules are available for hire in all the big towns.

DP

Old May 15th 07, 11:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
gpaleo

Ο "Dennis Pogson" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Mules are available for hire in all the big towns.

DP

Seen "Borat" one too many times, maybe????????????

Old May 15th 07, 02:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Sophie Wilson wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I'll have to rethink bringing a 300 f/4.

Roger
Old May 16th 07, 01:09 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
For anyone with experience photographing in Greece,
do you regret not bringing a long lens, and how long
do you think you needed? I want to travel light,
so I was not planning on telephotos (I have the
wide end covered). I'll be bringing a 30D,
and 24 mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 28-135 IS,
70-200 f/4 L IS, a 1.4x TC (to reach 280mm)
and a CF tripod with panoramic head. If, in your
experience you needed/wanted longer than 280mm,
what subjects did you feel that need for?

Roger
photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

I would actually be thinking that you do not have the wide end covered.

Old May 16th 07, 01:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Pete D wrote:
"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" wrote in
message ...
For anyone with experience photographing in Greece,
do you regret not bringing a long lens, and how long
do you think you needed? I want to travel light,
so I was not planning on telephotos (I have the
wide end covered). I'll be bringing a 30D,
and 24 mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 28-135 IS,
70-200 f/4 L IS, a 1.4x TC (to reach 280mm)
and a CF tripod with panoramic head. If, in your
experience you needed/wanted longer than 280mm,
what subjects did you feel that need for?

Roger
photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

I would actually be thinking that you do not have the wide end covered.

I was wondering when someone would open that question.
The key is pano head: I do mosaics which enables me to
make any angular field of view, including greater than
180 degrees. In most of my travels, I have never
found a need for wide angle lenses, and usually never carry
wider than 28mm on APS C digital sensors.
Even without a pano head, one can do mosaics, even hand
held. It works quite well and results in wonderfully
large megapixel images.

Roger

bringing up browser using autorun on photo cd Gary Digital Photography 3 October 31st 05 05:44 PM
Going to Greece Miriam Agron Digital Point & Shoot Cameras 4 March 9th 05 06:58 AM
Travel Lens S. Digital Photography 29 December 10th 04 09:05 PM
travel with lens William Graham 35mm Photo Equipment 29 August 2nd 04 12:47 AM