OT Subtle spam argeement

Old May 4th 14, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

Default OT Subtle spam argeement

On 2014.05.04, 18:15 , PeterN wrote:
On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

What I do under WinXP doesn't merit such an investment. That said,
anyone with a little computing nous doesn't need more than AVG (free) or
the Avast (free) A-V.

On the Mac side, regular (automated) backups do the rest with occasional
rotations to an offsite (a friend's house).

Same friend's business startup will be 100% external storage of working
files and 100% internet based backup. No media of any kind will be
allowed to be used in his business (no CD/DVD/Bray, USB's, Flash, etc.,)
and as much as possible the computers he buys won't have CD/DVD drives.
He's striving to have a no-photocopiers, no printer operation. Paper
received will be scanned, the file stored and the paper binned. (At
least almost all suppliers are very happy to invoice electronically now...).

He's nearing the point of deciding on desktop terminals for employee
workstations or going server/thinclient instead. (It gets complicated
at that point...)

He's also attempting to be 100% paper free down to not even printing
business cards, letterhead, collateral, etc. If given a paper business
card, it will be scanned and stored as an image as well as OCR'd into a
contact management app (that is web based) and the card thrown out.

I'm rooting for him - will be interesting to see how far he can push it
as an information only operation.

--
"Big data can reduce anything to a single number,
but you shouldn’t be fooled by the appearance of exactitude."

Old May 4th 14, 11:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.

"Bareback" - Goes well with Mavericks!

Love it.

Old May 4th 14, 11:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-04 22:32:47 +0000, Eric Stevens said:

On Sun, 4 May 2014 15:24:15 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-for-Macs.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/85a4kxf

You will note that that was not a particular OSX issue, and all of the
publicized OSX malware & trojans have been proof of concept infections
commissioned by the various developers and purveyors of AV software.
Not a single Mac in the wild has been so infected.

Mac users are not vulnerable to surreptitious cloaked Malware. They
have to make an active effort to install such and the failsafes are
very much in place. There are other issues, but for those I suggest you
bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Savageduck

Old May 4th 14, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-for-Macs.html
or http://tinyurl.com/85a4kxf

Yeah - old news about a trojan that affected nobody I know with Macs (a
lot of people), that was detectable with one command line in terminal
and eradicated (in the rare instance one had it) with another command
line in terminal.

Windows users crack me up! (I used to be one - then MS came out with
Vista - in dispair I went down to the river and was washed and saved).

Old May 4th 14, 11:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

On 5/4/2014 5:41 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
On 2014.05.04, 17:25 , PeterN wrote:

I use AVG. Not the free version/

On my WinXP virtual machine I use the free AVG. OTOH, if I lose that
virtual machine to a virus or other malware I can just copy a fresh
one
over from backup...

The free version is fine, but I like that extra bit of protection that
you get from the premium paid version.

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.

Chumming the water?

Just saying.

If you had been following thread once it moved to the arena of AV SW,
fellow Mac user Alan cast the first bait when he responded to Eric with:
“Anti-virus? Quaint.”

I guess he was a tad too subtle.

You're supposed to stand shoulder to shoulder with me, but noooooo, you
go and point the finger....

Old May 4th 14, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

You should try the Mac OSX universe sometime. Most of us ride bareback
without that “extra bit of protection”.

The risk to Apple users is increasing. See

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...irus-immunity-
claim-for-Macs.html
or http://tinyurl.com/85a4kxf

not anything significant, it isn't.

the weakest link is not the computer, it's the idiot behind the
keyboard who gets phished and no amount of anti-malware tools will
block that.
Old May 4th 14, 11:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

Eric Stevens
Old May 4th 14, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ps-virus-immun

bring them up over at comp.sys.mac.system

Me? I'm not going to bring up the issue of viruses in Macs. I didn't
even do it this time.

other than posting the link, you mean?
Old May 5th 14, 12:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN said:

[...]

I would do that except that I am still dependent on so much
Windows-only software. The main ties are Wordperfect, Paradox and
Quattro Pro, and Visual CAD. There a number of items in image
processing too: Paintshop Pro in particular, and a few items round the
fringe of that. I could end up not requiring any CAD program but after
all these years I don't want to go over to the dark side with Word.

Eric Stevens
Old May 5th 14, 12:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-05-04 22:47:03 +0000, Alan Browne

On 2014-05-04 22:25:17 +0000, Tony Cooper sai

d:

On 2014-05-04 22:15:37 +0000, PeterN sa

id:

:
“Anti-virus? Quaint.”

I guess he was a tad too subtle.

You're supposed to stand shoulder to shoulder with me, but noooooo, you
go and point the finger....

They didn’t get it.

Anyway, I had to play my part in this little drama.

Savageduck