Paintshop and Corel

Old December 5th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

Default Paintshop and Corel

In article , Tony Cooper wrote:

I have two external drives. It is not "necessary, compulsory, or
needed" for my backups to be directed to either or both of those
drives.

No, but they are a requirement if you want to do a backup to either or
both of them.

What's this? Stating the obvious? Should I mock you?

You're an adult (?) you are free to do whatever pleases you. I am just
letting you know what the words you use mean.

Actually, your statement here is exactly my point: "they are a
requirement if you want..."

Indeed. Hence, "requirement" does not mean "what you want to do", it can
very much be dependant on a desire. I.e. you may want to do something,
which requires a condition to be met.

So it's the other way around. The "want" is "make a backup", "make a
backup" then have the requirement of connecting the backup disk. It doesn't
start with you "wanting" to connect the backup disk, that's a requirement
for your desires to be fulfilled.

But, I want them to be directed to these drives.

So you make their presence be a requirement - i.e. necessary, compulsory or
neeeded. Voila.

Just so you'll know, "Viola" without the grave accent is a musical
instrument. The word "VoilĂ*" is actually a contraction of vois lĂ*, or
"see there".

I take your diversion to accented characters as you admitting that
"requirement" means soemthing that is needed, compulsory or necessary?

Therefore, in my backup protocol, I make this a requirement.
Requirement follows want.

It may, to some extent.

To all extent.

Incorrect.

No requirement follows something that is not wanted in
some way. Shallow-thinking.

Incorrect.

That doesn't equate the word "requirement" with the
phrase "what you want to do".

As you say, "incorrect".

No, the statement above is correct.

You want to go to the pub, that requires that you put some pants on, but
that's not what you "want to do", it is something you have to do.

In any context, not necessarily computer-context, a requirement is
simply the manifestation of a want.

Without it being wanted, it is not a requirement.

This is totally incorrect though. An iOS developer is required to purchase
a Mac to run Xcode to develop applications. In many cases, this is against
their wishes, and an unwanted and for some an unfortunate requirement. This
is something driven by a *need*, not a *want*, quite clearly illsutrating
the fact that the word "requirement" does NOT mean "what you want to do".

More limited thinking. You have misidentified the "want". The person
wants to be an iOS developer. That creates the requirement.

Indeed - he does NOT want to have to buy a computer, i.e. he has no desire
at all to meet the requirement, but he is forced to. Hence - "requirement"
does NOT mean "what you want to do"

In the example:

What he wants to do: Be an iOS developer:
Requirement: Get a Mac

See how the two lines differ, and how what he wants doesn't match the
requirement? Of course you don't.

Not all "want to do"s become requirements, but I didn't say that this is
the case.

Again, you should get yourself a real dictionary and learn a thing or two.

Understanding the definition of a word is not enough. You must learn
when that word, with one of the word's definitions, can be used in
context to effectively communicate a thought.

You should learn that too, yes.

--
Sandman[.net]