You can't even take pictures at a public city beach anymore?

Old August 29th 04, 08:20 AM
Matt Ion

JohnCM wrote:

"look me in the eye, I know what you're doing, taking pictures of
girls on the beach undressing". I then said "so what, it's a public
beach and I have every right to take pictures". He continues to
verbally assault me, and threaten to call the cops.

See right there, I woulda told him to go ahead, call the cops... that's
enough to shut up most of these loudmouths. Cops showing up is the LAST
thing they really want.
Old August 29th 04, 08:21 AM
Mark M

"Archibald" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:22:47 -0400, "The Black Sheep"
wrote:

"JohnCM" wrote in message
. com...

I tell you, I'm really considering leaving New York or this country
altogether. Perhaps it's just because I am so mad now, but I just
can't live in a society that seems so paranoid anymore. I see the

MTA
Police and police all over train stations now. It's just no fun
anymore, heck, it's miserable. Today may be the last straw. I want

live in a country like the United States we used to have. You know,
the one where protesters got respect and were allowed to march, one
where you can freely take photos on public property, one where

people
trust eachother,etc. It's bad enough we lost the World Trade Center
and all those innocent lives, but now we're losing something even

more
valuable.

Move to Canada. I've been on Parliament Hill taking photos after
midnight, walking right up to the front door of Parliament, and the
only police attention I ever got was an RCMP officer nodding "good
evening" and another moving his car for me so it was out of my shot.

And then walk over to the U.S. embassy -- which hunkers behind a
concrete barrier and barbed wire. Land of the free!

Why would Canada need to fear terrorists? Terrorists LOVE Canada, now that
they've agreed to adopt Al-Jezeera news as a legitimate news channel--which
allows terrorists to deliver large scale pro-terrorist propaganda.

Those embassy workers are likely hiding from *Canadians.*

Canada is quickly becoming Al Qaida's pal in the media.
So...to Canadians... Before you yell at ME...go yell at your television
regulators.

Old August 29th 04, 08:23 AM
Mark M

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article , qtraindash7
@optonline.net says...

[SNIP]
I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.

This scene could just have easily played out, even without your camera, in
almost any "inner-city" neighborhood, had you just violated their turf, or
worn the wrong color ****.

I've seen brown, green, red, and...well...peanut and corn.

Are there other colors?

Old August 29th 04, 08:34 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 06:02:18 GMT, wrote:

Basically, in the US, the jerk yelling at a legal activity is
already committing assault.

Not necessarily. The following is the Utah version.

Yelling and causing a scene is actually classified as "Disorderly
Conduct" (unreasonable noises in a public place").

It's not really "Assault" unless the asshole communicates a threat
*and* accompanies that threat with a show of immediate force or
violence.

For example, I can tell someone that I'm going to kick the **** out of
them for taking photos of my topless girlfriend laying on the sand,
and I can say it all day long, and I'm not be guilty of
assault...unless I do something like shake a closed fist at them while
at the same time saying "I'm gonna kick your ass". That would be a
class B misdemeanor.

If he lays hands on you, it's battery.

In Utah, just laying a hand on someone while at the same time
communicating a threat of violence is simple "Assault", a class B
misdemeanor. That's because the asshole didn't actually hurt you
(except maybe your ego), yet.

If the asshole hits you with his open fist, but it doesn't cause any
serious injuries, it's still "Assault", however, since he actually hit
you, it would be upgraded to a class A misdemeanor.

However, if the asshole causes serious bodily injury, or uses a
dangerous weapon (such as your metal-spiked tripod), then it would be
"Aggravated Assault", a second degree felony.

If he tries to get your camera, you could likely throw in robbery --

Basically the same here in Utah.

If the asshole just takes your camera from you without saying a word
or threatening you in any way, shape or form, it's just "Theft". The
degree of theft is based upon the value of the item that was stolen.

A theft, for example, would be if an asshole thief stole my Nikkor VR
70-200mm f/2.8 lens while I wasn't looking. Because this particular
lens is valued at more than $1000 (but less than $5,000), the thief
committed a third degree felony.

However, if the thief steals a 600mm f/4, valued at greater than
$5000, then the thief committed a second degree felony.

If the asshole takes your camera through fear, force, threats, etc.,
then it's "Robbery", a second degree felony, regardless of value.

If the asshole takes your camera through the use of a dangerous
weapon, such as a knife or gun, than it is "Aggravated Robbery", a
first degree felony, regardless of value.

An attempted Theft can quickly escalate into a Robbery, or even an
Aggravated Robbery because the victim discovers the theft in progress,
and then attempts to prevent the theft while at the same time the
asshole decides to persist with the theft.

after all, if a guy demands your property, what likelihood is there
that you'll get it back unharmed.

Then yell like hell to attract a crowd, preferably with
cameras, then start snapping pictures of the miscreants.

Of course, from what I hear of NY, that probably constitutes a
death sentence all by itself.

Is it in the UK where they are making it a crime to call for help or
to resist during a robbery? Any truth to that?

-Astro

Old August 29th 04, 08:36 AM
Journalist-North

"JohnCM" wrote in message
om...

(snip)

The one younger male (the head jerk) accused
me of taking pictures of his girlfriend on the beach.

(snip)

I know today's incident wasn't related at all to terrorism, but one
man's insane jealousy and paranoia, but still, it's part of the
paranoia society is inflicted with these days.

------------

Oh, come off it. You know perfectly well that the girl... if there even was
one... was his CHATTEL. He OWNED her as if he might own a classic Pontiac
Firebird and you just can't take her picture on a public beach any more then
you could take a picture of his Firebird parked on a public street without
him being fully justified in kicking the s**t out of you for doing it.

Consider yourself lucky you still have a camera... and your life. If you had
taken purvey pictures like that of the girl (or the car) in South LA rather
than in NY (where the bullies are really "pussy" about things like that), he
would have put all six 38 cal slugs into your perverted body... and then
popped out for a six pack and a pizza with his equally manly pals.

Wa-chew lookin at?

Journalist

Old August 29th 04, 08:44 AM
Ryan Robbins

wrote in message
No cause needed -- the Constitution gives the thugs no
authoority to abridge my legal behavior.

The Constitution governs relations between the government and the people,
not relations among the people.

Old August 29th 04, 08:55 AM
Journalist-North

"Mark M" wrote in message

(snip)

Why would Canada need to fear terrorists? Terrorists LOVE Canada, now
that
they've agreed to adopt Al-Jezeera news as a legitimate news channel--

+++ Got news for you AJ is legitimate news mostly run by ex; BBC Arabic
service types.

which
allows terrorists to deliver large scale pro-terrorist propaganda.

+++ Propaganda is just an alternate truth. Do you really believe EVERYTHING
that you hear on Fox too?

Those embassy workers are likely hiding from *Canadians.*

+++ Too right they should.

Journalist

Old August 29th 04, 09:01 AM
Mark M

"Journalist-North" wrote in message
. uk...

"Mark M" wrote in message

(snip)

Why would Canada need to fear terrorists? Terrorists LOVE Canada, now
that
they've agreed to adopt Al-Jezeera news as a legitimate news channel--

+++ Got news for you AJ is legitimate news mostly run by ex; BBC Arabic
service types.

which
allows terrorists to deliver large scale pro-terrorist propaganda.

+++ Propaganda is just an alternate truth. Do you really believe

EVERYTHING
that you hear on Fox too?

Was Fox talking about this?
Good for them.

Those embassy workers are likely hiding from *Canadians.*

+++ Too right they should.

And you feel this is OK?

Old August 29th 04, 09:03 AM
AstroPax

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:54:00 -0700, "Rick" wrote:

Completely true, according to the best sources.

Source?

-Astro

Old August 29th 04, 09:08 AM
Rick

"AstroPax" wrote in message ...
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:54:00 -0700, "Rick" wrote:

Completely true, according to the best sources.

Source?

Look at my other posts elsewhere in this thread.

Rick