Shelf life of E6 chemicals

Old December 12th 04, 01:28 AM
David Nebenzahl

On 12/11/2004 3:17 PM P. Meschter spake thus:

Thank you all for your input. I tried the opened Kodak and it was fine.
Paul

Ha! Take that, U-235 (or is it U-238?). "Deceased". "Dead". "Useless".

HA! Your credibility is down another 85 points.

--
Don't blame Ralph Nader: blame Gavin Newsom.

Old December 12th 04, 04:06 AM

Were the BOTTLES opened, or just the box? No way opened bottles would
still be usable after 9 months.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe....9.16.26&lc=en

"Working Solutions and Oxidation--Once the original container is
opened, the chemicals are exposed to oxidation. Reaction of chemicals,
especially developers, with oxygen in the air will gradually cause them
to deteriorate. Oxidation continues to some extent even if the
container is immediately resealed. You can reduce oxidation by storing
working solutions in amounts that can be used all at one time. For
example, if you open a 10-gallon-size package, mix the entire amount,
and then store the solution in 1-gallon containers. Then, each time you
open a container you can use the entire amount, and the remaining mix
is not exposed to air."

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...equestid=35902

Old December 12th 04, 01:45 PM
Jim Phelps

Uhmm, Yes they would. Regardless of material posted by the 'objective'
chemical manufacturer (like telling everyone they go bad after 6 months is
not a way to increase sales or anything like that, no, they wouldn't do
that, would they?).

The world is not a lith toned picture.

Old December 12th 04, 07:01 PM
Frank Pittel

Jim Phelps wrote:
: Uhmm, Yes they would. Regardless of material posted by the 'objective'
: chemical manufacturer (like telling everyone they go bad after 6 months is
: not a way to increase sales or anything like that, no, they wouldn't do
: that, would they?).

To be fair I think we can all agree that it's best not to open the bottles
until you actually need them. I figure that with the one shot kit being marketed
to the "home" user they would have to do something about the shelf life of the
concentrate chemistry. That would be the only way that they would be able to sell
the 5L kits.

-------------------

Old December 12th 04, 07:35 PM
Frank Pittel

I figured it would be. I would recommend that you mix what you need for your
immediate needs and not store mixed chemistry though.

P. Meschter wrote:
: Thank you all for your input. I tried the opened Kodak and it was fine.
: Paul

: "Claudio Bonavolta" wrote in message
: ...
: "P. Meschter" a ?crit dans le message de
: ...
: I have some Kodak E6 that was opened in April and assume this will still
: be
: serviceable.
:
: If it wasn't mixed completely (I only mix what I need and keep the
: concentrates), it may be fine.
: First developer darkens with oxydation, it's a good indicator.
: You may increase concentrates' life by filling the bottles with inert gaz.
: With any chemical, if you have a doubt, don't develop important films with
: it.
:
: However, I found a 6-bath Tetenal kit that I bought last year that I
: forgot
: about and has not been opened. If sealed, what might I realistically
: expect
: for a shelf life of the Tetenal? Would you use it?
:
: It should be fine, but, again, try it first with non-important films.
:
: Thanks,
: Paul
: