KODAK POLYMAX FINE ART

Old August 26th 04, 01:35 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

understand Ilford is in financial trouble and looking for a buyer.

Hasn't that been the case since day aught?

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com
Old August 27th 04, 12:37 PM
Matteo

Hy,
I would like to know which is the best developer for the Kodak Polymax Fine
Art Double Weight: Dektol or Polymax ??
Thank
Matteo

Old August 27th 04, 01:10 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Matteo wrote:
Hy,
I would like to know which is the best developer for the Kodak Polymax Fine
Art Double Weight: Dektol or Polymax ??
Thank
Matteo

I like D-72, but substituting 100ml of 1% benzotriazole in water for the
KBr. IIRC, Ansel Adams used Dektol for everything near the end of his career.

I used to use lots of different developers for paper. My other favorite
was Ansco 113 (Amidol), but after a lot of testing, I concluded that they
were all alike except:

1.) Amidol required about double the exposure of other paper developers.
2.) The color I liked with Amidol was a result not of the developing
agent, but the restrainere. It was then that I started mixing D-72
(essentially Dektol) and using bzt instead of KBr.

The miracles of deeper blacks, etc., seem due to increased exposure of the
print, not some mysterious property of the developer.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 08:05:00 up 22 days, 23:42, 4 users, load average: 4.21, 4.18, 4.12

Old August 27th 04, 02:16 PM
Frank Calidonna

Jean D,

I have found that adding a bit of bromine to dektol also will give a
deeper black without pushing the highlights to grey. Probably the same
as using benzotriazole as it allows greater exposure.

Frank

Old August 27th 04, 02:39 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Frank Calidonna wrote:
Jean D,

I have found that adding a bit of bromine to dektol also will give a
deeper black without pushing the highlights to grey. Probably the same
as using benzotriazole as it allows greater exposure.

Frank

I sure would not want liquid bromine in my darkroom.
Perhaps, as you say, adding it to a paper developer will give deeper blacks.

The reason I prefer benzotriazole to bromide is that bromide tends to give
prints a disagreable (to me) greenish tint in the blacks, and bzt is free
from that. It very much depends on the color of the viewing light, though.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 09:35:00 up 23 days, 1:12, 3 users, load average: 4.12, 4.15, 4.14