Beseler or Omega or ???

Old August 12th 04, 02:25 AM
Scott Schuckert

Default Beseler or Omega or ???

In article , David Nebenzahl
wrote:

He musta been thinking of Durst.

Doh. Yep, I was. Been away from everything but Beseler too long. The
rest of the comparison I'll still go with, however - adding that the
Durst would have to be a Peugeot - european and well, odd - at least to
me.

I LIKE enlargers I can (and sometimes must) align with a hammer...

-- Scott

Old August 14th 04, 01:23 PM
John Garand

ON Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:29:55 GMT, "William Schneider"
WROTE:

snip
I believe that the original poster couldn't go wrong with either a Beseler
or an Omega. Both are good enlargers. Finding one capable of doing 5x7 will
make his search more difficult though. For my money, 4x5 needs enlarged, but
5x7 is a good size for a contact print. Well-made contact prints are more
"magical" than projection prints.

Bill Schneider

Omega E units are not exactly common, but there has been a fair supply
of Durst 138/45EM enlargers on that auction site recently - usually go
for a pretty decent price (for the buyer). Knowledge of the negative
carriers is essential for the Durst, they seem to be less common than
the enlargers. Shipping is high as these things are built like tanks.
They can be taken apart and shipped UPS, but some sellers (non-users)
seem not to know this and think they have to palletize and truck ship
the enlarger.

Old August 19th 04, 10:28 AM
John McGraw

Bob Salomon wrote in message ...
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Omegas were made in
New York City.

But now they are in Maryland.

I thought Omegas were no longer being made. I'll be glad to be wrong.
Personally, I greatly prefer Omega Ds to Bessler 45s. John

Old August 21st 04, 04:15 PM
geo

"John McGraw" wrote in message

I thought Omegas were no longer being made. I'll be glad to be wrong.
Personally, I greatly prefer Omega Ds to Bessler 45s. John

Ditto. My Beseler 45M & 23CII were a pain to align.