PS CC for iPad?

Old July 16th 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default PS CC for iPad?

On Jul 16, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 7/14/2018 12:52 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 14, 2018, David Taylor wrote
(in article ):

On 14/07/2018 16:15, Savageduck wrote:
It seems that Adobe has plans to release Photoshop CC fo iPad in 2019.
Probably the same plan as with LR CC, free, but to gain the full sync
features a Creative Cloud subscription would be required. Currently I have
the 1TB plan for $14.95/month.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/13/adobe-photoshop-ipad-2019-report/

I wonder how it compares to Affinity Photo - about £20/US$25 once-off
purchase with a 30% discount at the moment....

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I haven't used both so I can't comment.

We will only be able to make a true comparison once the proposed version of
PS for the iPad is released. I have both for my Mac, and iPad Pro, and as
capable as Affinity Photo is, on my Mac my preference remains for my LR+PS
workflow.

Affinity Photo (AP) on my iPad Pro, is a better editing/adjusting app than
the combined trio of PS Fix, PS Mix, and PS Express. AP does not have the
asset management, editing, and desktop/laptop syncing capability of LR CC. I
think this PS was an obvious development for Adobe.

If I had to make a choice for a non-Adobe iPad photo editing app it would be
Affinity Photo, or Pixelmator. For an iPad/macOS combo Pixelmator does a
very good job of syncing between iPad and desktop via iCloud. However, my choice
for non-Adobe stuff for my desktop would be Alien Skin Exposure X3, Luminar,
On1 Photo Raw, Pixelmator then AP.

Just to be clear: You have expressed preferences for some very fine post
processing programs. However, you have not tried Topaz, and therefor3e
properly omitted it. As for Luminar, it is an excellent program, I have
tried it on both a Mac OS and a PC. Although Skylum, the publisher,
claims that their programs work equally well on both a MAC and PC, from
my own uses, I don't think the PC version is ready for prime time.
Having said that, for HDR and color mapping I prefer Aurora, despite its
glitches.

To answer the first of your questions, I tried a few of the Topaz plug-ins
about 4 years ago, and they just did not do it for me. I have not been a
Topaz fan ever since. To be fair, things might have changed, but my bias
remains.

Luminar released an update last week which they claim has addressed some
Windows version issues.

https://skylum.com/blog/enhance-your...atest-luminar-
updates

https://www.dpreview.com/news/357095...-1-3-0-update-
brings-many-improvements-new-camera-support

or
https://tinyurl.com/ybrz9uqq

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/07/11/luminar-2018-version-1-3-0/

Savageduck

Old July 16th 18, 07:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/16/2018 2:04 PM, Savageduck wrote:

snip

To answer the first of your questions, I tried a few of the Topaz plug-ins
about 4 years ago, and they just did not do it for me. I have not been a
Topaz fan ever since. To be fair, things might have changed, but my bias
remains.

Luminar released an update last week which they claim has addressed some
Windows version issues.

https://skylum.com/blog/enhance-your...atest-luminar-
updates

https://www.dpreview.com/news/357095...-1-3-0-update-
brings-many-improvements-new-camera-support

or
https://tinyurl.com/ybrz9uqq

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/07/11/luminar-2018-version-1-3-0/

Thanks, I upgraded Aurora last week. It almost acts as a proper plugin
for PS. When using it in LR, there are still issues saving the image
back to LR. I have no present interest in dumping PS, if that changes, I
will evaluate my options at that time, as software can be counted on to
morph.
--
PeterN
Old July 17th 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 16, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

https://skylum.com/blog/enhance-your-workflow-with-the-latest-luminar-updates

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3570959871/skylum-luminar-2018-1-3-0-update-brings-many-improvements-new-camera-support

or
https://tinyurl.com/ybrz9uqq

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/07/11/luminar-2018-version-1-3-0/

Thanks, I upgraded Aurora last week. It almost acts as a proper plugin
for PS. When using it in LR, there are still issues saving the image
back to LR. I have no present interest in dumping PS, if that changes, I
will evaluate my options at that time, as software can be counted on to
morph.

Personally my preference is for an LR CCC/PS CC workflow with the additional
assistance of various plugins. I have yet to find a replacement which does
all that I use LR CCC/PS CC for.

On the Mac both Luminar and Aurora function as Adobe plugins. However, Aurora
has limitations under PS, and works best from LR CCC. With Aurora under LR
CCC you would select the image files for HDR merging, right-click, and from
the menu select *Export to Aurora 2018*. Once you have competed adjustments
and tone-mapping under Aurora the result should be saved back to LR.

That said this thread was more of a discusion regarding Adobe mobile apps,
iPad Pro, and the proposed *PS for iPad*. On my last trip away from home I
travelled without my old 17” MBP, and used my 512GB iPad Pro with LR CC and
Affinity Photo (AP) for on-the-road initial edits. My major beef with AP is
its lack of integration with the Adobe CC ecosystem. Though it does use
Apple’s iCloud to facilitate some sharing. So for the most part I have been
happy with not having to lug a laptop, and to do the away from home edits
with LR CC, and have those edits synced to my Adobe CC storage for syncing to
my desktop. Having the proposed *PS for iPad* would be a welcome addition,
but not that necessary given the capability of LR CC on the iPad Pro,
especially when combined with the Apple Pencil.

Since that trip LR CC has had a few updates and is even more capable with
included camera profiles, and other features, but I have not had to use it
much since March. So I loaded the 100-400mm windsurfer shoot to try a few
iPad edits on the latest LR CC update, and I am impressed. So if the proposed
*PS for iPad* doesn’t materialize I could survive without it.

Here is an LR CC on iPad Pro edit.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nwJgRPn/0/0c87049f/X3/i-nwJgRPn-X3.png

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-qRnbCSC/0/16672399/X3/i-qRnbCSC-X3.png

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZW2HtXF/0/8a06af02/O/i-ZW2HtXF.jpg

Savageduck

Old July 17th 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 17, 2018, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Jul 16, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I should add that it is easy enough to open a file in Affinity Photo for iPad
from LR CC on the iPad Pro for PS type editing if needed:

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mm5dvnW/0/9e92129b/O/i-Mm5dvnW.png

Savageduck

Old July 18th 18, 02:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 7/17/2018 5:31 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 16, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

[...]

On a Mac it does exactly as you state. On a PC, you have to re-import
the file into LR. I still like working with Aurora, and hope they will
fix that bug soon.

--
PeterN