It's yet another special day today! (was - It is a special day today.

Old January 29th 18, 11:00 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
David B.[_2_]

Default Malware on an Apple Mac? Surely not!

A Facebook poster said this to me today ...

"I have been using Apple computers since the 1979 Apple II Plus, which I
still have. I travel around the world for my work, I never have used any
anti-virus tool, and I have never had any problems with viruses,
malware, worms or trojans on any of my Macs in all these years.

So I am very wary of anti-virus software manufacturers spamming me to
offer free scans of my systems. I never accept such things. That's why I
have no experience at all with programs like ClamXAV.

I do agree with you that there may be a certain risk in downloading an
anti-virus program, especially as it has been reported numerous times
that such programs tend to affect the performance of your Mac without
offering you any real advantages. But unfortunately that's the only
thing that I can contribute to this discussion.

Kind regards."

=

Just thought you might like to know. :-)

He was responding to my question asked in the 'comments section' after
this article:-

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/ma...e-3454926/#zzz

Btw, ClamXAV is *NOT* free!

Tell me, how can one be sure that if one downloads the "free trial" and
installs the software, one isn't, in fact, loading malware ON to one's
Apple computer?

Who checks to make sure that this doesn't happen?

The user of the computer might well remain totally unaware that anything
may be amiss.

Something to think about!

--
David B.
Old January 29th 18, 11:16 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

On 1/29/18 PDT 2:00 PM, David B. wrote:
A Facebook poster said this to me today ...

Snipped bits out

Naughty boy sneaking in alt.comp.os.windows-10 as another x-post.
Old January 30th 18, 12:01 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 29/01/2018 22:16, John McWilliams wrote:
On 1/29/18Â*Â* PDT 2:00 PM, David B. wrote:
A Facebook poster said this to me today ...

Snipped bits out

Naughty boy sneaking in alt.comp.os.windows-10 as another x-post.

:-) It's good to know that some other folk are eagle-eyed too! ;-)

Are you aware of THIS group, John? alt.binaries.photos.original
Old January 30th 18, 08:39 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Andy[_7_]

You can get a virus or mal ware on a Mac just as easy as a pc.
In fact hackers have been targeting the new Mac os 11

--
AL'S COMPUTERS

Old January 30th 18, 09:27 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
David B.[_2_]

On 30/01/2018 07:39, Andy wrote:
You can get a virus or mal ware on a Mac just as easy as a pc.
In fact hackers have been targeting the new Mac os 11

Really?

I thought I already had THE most up to date OS - 10.13.3

When was "the new Mac os 11" launched?

--
David B.

Old January 30th 18, 12:49 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

On 29/01/2018 23:01, David B. wrote:
On 29/01/2018 22:16, John McWilliams wrote:
On 1/29/18Â*Â* PDT 2:00 PM, David B. wrote:
A Facebook poster said this to me today ...

Snipped bits out

Naughty boy sneaking in alt.comp.os.windows-10 as another x-post.

:-) It's good to know that some other folk are eagle-eyed too! ;-)

Are you aware of THIS group, John?Â* alt.binaries.photos.original

See: Message-ID:

That's for the group 'rules'.
Old January 30th 18, 03:07 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Mayayana

"David B." wrote

| I have never had any problems with viruses,
| malware, worms or trojans on any of my Macs in all these years.

I haven't had any trouble on my Windows
boxes, either, and I also don't use AV.
Smug Apple fandom is not a protection. It
will only be worse in the future if Macs become
more popular. Like AOL, Apple does a good
job of protecting their users from needing to
have technical expertise, but it's not foolproof.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...sing-campaign/

Crooks Created 28 Fake Ad Agencies to Disguise Massive Malvertising Campaign

"the group exclusively targeted desktop browsers, ignoring mobile traffic.
The user's operating system did not count, the group going after Windows,
Linux, Mac, or ChromeOS users alike."

As usual, the big risk here is allowing javascript
in the browser. The second biggest risk is the
assumption that you're not at risk.

Old January 30th 18, 03:13 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
nospam

In article , Andy
wrote:

You can get a virus or mal ware on a Mac just as easy as a pc.

nope. it's significantly more difficult.

In fact hackers have been targeting the new Mac os 11

there is no mac os 11.

there was a 10.11, but that's more than two years old and if they were
targeting it, they failed.
Old January 30th 18, 07:53 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
David B.[_2_]

On 30/01/2018 14:07, Mayayana wrote:
"David B." wrote

| I have never had any problems with viruses,
| malware, worms or trojans on any of my Macs in all these years.

I haven't had any trouble on my Windows
boxes, either, and I also don't use AV.
Smug Apple fandom is not a protection. It
will only be worse in the future if Macs become
more popular. Like AOL, Apple does a good
job of protecting their users from needing to
have technical expertise, but it's not foolproof.

Don't shoot me. I'm simply the messenger!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...sing-campaign/

Crooks Created 28 Fake Ad Agencies to Disguise Massive Malvertising Campaign

"the group exclusively targeted desktop browsers, ignoring mobile traffic.
The user's operating system did not count, the group going after Windows,
Linux, Mac, or ChromeOS users alike."

As usual, the big risk here is allowing javascript
in the browser. The second biggest risk is the
assumption that you're not at risk.

Thanks for sharing that tidbit, Mayayana.

The 'bad guys' are, indeed, sneaky!

Old January 31st 18, 01:03 AM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,comp.sys.mac.system,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Jolly Roger[_2_]

On 2018-01-30, Andy wrote:
You can get a virus or mal ware on a Mac just as easy as a pc.

Not nearly as easily, no.

In fact hackers have been targeting the new Mac os 11

No such thing as macOS 11. And people have been attacking macOS since
the first release back in 2001, yet there are ZERO viruses in the wild
for macOS in all that time. Most macOS malware are trojans that require
the user to actively download, and supply administrator credentials to
install.

JR