CF cards apparently not dead yet

Old December 1st 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default CF cards apparently not dead yet

On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:44:56 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the reality is that most people aren't interested in waiting a half
hour for their photos and videos to copy.

Most people don't have half an hour's worth of photos or videos to
copy.

they do if they bought slow cards, possibly much longer than that.

The source of your data is ... ?

Eric Stevens

Old December 2nd 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Anyone who writes, as you did, "move is another, although move means
deleting the originals" should never accuse anyone else of being over
their head in a topic.

that's *exactly* what move means.

If you had ever demonstrated a sense of humor here before, I would
think you are joking. But, you're not.

Moving a file does not delete anything. It merely relocates the file.

nope.

move a file from volume to another volume and the file will be copied,
then the original deleted,

Nonsense. The original is moved. Nothing is deleted.

wrong.

read what i wrote, and the parts you snipped in an lame effort to twist
things.

resulting in one instance of the file.

Of course. The one instance is the original in the new location.
Remember the example of the apple being moved from one hand to the
other. It's still the original apple.

you *still* don't get it.

You are confusing the "original location" with the "original file".

i'm not the least bit confused.

The moved file is the same as it was in the prior location. It
remains the original.

not necessarily.
Old December 2nd 17, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Eric Stevens
says...
Most people don't have half an hour's worth of photos or videos to
copy.

When I travel I shoot an average of 200-600 shots per day (RAW+JPEG) and
sometimes some videos. 10GB of data on a given day is not unusual.

Then, in the evening I don't have that much time. Usually I'm back late,
am short of time, so it makes a difference if the image transfer to the
computer takes 2 minutes instead of 10 minutes.
--
Alfred Molon

Old December 2nd 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken Hart[_4_]

On 11/30/2017 11:30 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:22:53 -0500, nospam
wrote:

snip

move is another, although move means deleting the originals.

No, the original is not deleted. It is relocated.

Try to think of this in simple terms. You have an apple in your left
hand. You move it, or transfer it, to your right hand. The apple has
been relocated, but it has not been deleted.

Yes, but...

Your fruit in the hand analogy doesn't 'transfer' well to computers.

In most of the file transfers I've seen (No, I don't claim to have seen
EVERY type!), a file move or transfer is a two part operation: first the
file is copied to the destination, then after verification that the copy
worked, the original is erased.

The apple has been moved or transferred to the other hand, but while the
transfer or move was in progress, the apple existed in both hands. (A
concept that the government has perfected years ago!)

(I only wish you had picked a banana or orange. You know that using an
Apple is just going to start something!)

import is specific to asset managers, since it's a lot more than just
copying.

the point is that upload and download are incorrect.

I like precise use of the correct words in any situation, but there is
no precise term in this case. The *function* is a copy function
since the files remain on the original medium and are replicated in a
new location, but the term "copy" has not achieved any standard
status.

copying does not mean deleting the original.

Right, but I have not said or implied that it does. Quite the
opposite, in fact.

if the original is deleted after a copy, it's a move.

Incorrect since the original is not deleted, it's just relocated. If
the file has been copied, and the file which was copied is deleted
from where it was copied from, that's a separate and discrete
function. It's not part of the copy or transfer function.

upload or download would be when it involves a remote system (i.e., the
cloud), which it does not.

Historically, upload and download referred to a remote system. That
remote system was historically much larger and more capable than the
home user's system (An Altair?). You uploaded _to_ the larger remote,
and downloaded _from_ the remote system.

Following the theme of interacting with a larger, more powerful system,
you would upload your photos from your camera to your computer.

For that matter, an upload or a download is also a copy function. The
uploaded or downloaded files are replicated in another location, but
we don't use "copy" to describe uploading or downloading.

sometimes copy is used in that context and may be acceptable.

examples: copy to the cloud. copy to the server.

More to my point that there are not standardized and specific terms
and that there are - instead - a number of terms that are
understandable, widely and commonly used, and therefore correct.

"Transfer" - a widely used term - is sorta incorrect since the files
are not transferred from one place to another.

yes they most certainly are transferred.

To "transfer" is to move from one location to another. SanDisk is
using the word to mean "copy" or replicate somewhere else. The files
are not transferred; they never move. They stay on the card with a
copy placed elsewhere. What is being transferred is a copy, not the
file.

Again, it's one more validation of my original point: we have several
terms that are understood to have the same meaning, and none of the
several common terms can be said to be incorrect.

Except perhaps in the context of historical origins. And pedantic
fanaticism.

(Since I'm currently reading about ARPAnet, I'm kinda into the history
thing right now!)

once again, you're *well* out of your league.

I love it when you come up that one. If it's my league, I can't be
out of it. The actual saying for what you mean is "You're well out of
my league". You can't even use a bog-standard ad holmium correctly.

This one I had to look up, and actually put some thought to. (It's a
Saturday, the public TV station is doing pledges, and I'm bored!)

If your "league" is defined as the sphere of knowledge that you possess
and understand, then to be "out of your own league" would mean to be
arguing a topic that is outside your sphere of knowledge, a topic that
you don't entirely comprehend. So it is possible to be "outside of your
own league"

Alternatively, if you are outside of my league, then you are discussing
a topic that you admit to having less knowledge of the subject than I
have. Or perhaps more knowledge.

In the case of nospam, it's probably best to call a spade a shovel, and
just tell him that he will understand why nobody wants to play with him
when he grows up and moves out of his grandmother's basement.

I'll leave it at that, as the public TV station is only two tote bags
away from "This Old House".

--
Ken Hart

Old December 2nd 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Ken Hart
wrote:

move is another, although move means deleting the originals.

No, the original is not deleted. It is relocated.

Try to think of this in simple terms. You have an apple in your left
hand. You move it, or transfer it, to your right hand. The apple has
been relocated, but it has not been deleted.

Yes, but...

Your fruit in the hand analogy doesn't 'transfer' well to computers.

the analogy doesn't transfer at all. as i said before, it's bogus.

In most of the file transfers I've seen (No, I don't claim to have seen
EVERY type!), a file move or transfer is a two part operation: first the
file is copied to the destination, then after verification that the copy
worked, the original is erased.

correct (although there are exceptions, which i've mentioned).

The apple has been moved or transferred to the other hand, but while the
transfer or move was in progress, the apple existed in both hands. (A
concept that the government has perfected years ago!)

not quite correct. the copy partially exists, growing as the copy
progresses.

if the copy fails or is cancelled by the user, then the partial copy is
what gets deleted, leaving the original untouched.

(I only wish you had picked a banana or orange. You know that using an
Apple is just going to start something!)

they're in season.

upload or download would be when it involves a remote system (i.e., the
cloud), which it does not.

Historically, upload and download referred to a remote system. That
remote system was historically much larger and more capable than the
home user's system (An Altair?). You uploaded _to_ the larger remote,
and downloaded _from_ the remote system.

correct.

Following the theme of interacting with a larger, more powerful system,
you would upload your photos from your camera to your computer.

not correct.

cameras and computers are peers.

normally, the camera shows up as external 'hard drive', as does the
memory card in a card reader, so it's just a simple copy to transfer
the photos, the same as copying files to/from another drive volume.

these days, cameras are usually smartphones and in many cases, more
powerful than the computer to which they are attached. also, photos are
frequently transferred automatically, without the user needing to do
anything.
Old December 2nd 17, 11:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/2/2017 4:21 PM, Ken Hart wrote:
On 11/30/2017 11:30 PM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:22:53 -0500, nospam
wrote:

snip

move is another, although move means deleting the originals.

No, the original is not deleted.Â* It is relocated.

Try to think of this in simple terms.Â* You have an apple in your left
hand.Â* You move it, or transfer it, to your right hand.Â* The apple has
[...]

no precise term in this case.Â*Â* The *function* is a copy function
since the files remain on the original medium and are replicated in a
new location, but the term "copy" has not achieved any standard
status.

copying does not mean deleting the original.

Right, but I have not said or implied that it does. Quite the
opposite, in fact.

if the original is deleted after a copy, it's a move.

Incorrect since the original is not deleted, it's just relocated.Â* If
the file has been copied, and the file which was copied is deleted
from where it was copied from, that's a separate and discrete
function.Â* It's not part of the copy or transfer function.

upload or download would be when it involves a remote system (i.e.,
the
cloud), which it does not.

Historically, upload and download referred to a remote system. That
remote system was historically much larger and more capable than the
home user's system (An Altair?). You uploaded _to_ the larger remote,
and downloaded _from_ theÂ* remote system.

Following the theme of interacting with a larger, more powerful system,
you would upload your photos from your camera to your computer.

For that matter, an upload or a download is also a copy function.Â* The
uploaded or downloaded files are replicated in another location, but
we don't use "copy" to describe uploading or downloading.

sometimes copy is used in that context and may be acceptable.

examples: copy to the cloud. copy to the server.

More to my point that there are not standardized and specific terms
and that there are - instead - a number of terms that are
understandable, widely and commonly used, and therefore correct.

"Transfer" - a widely used term - is sorta incorrect since the files
are not transferred from one place to another.

yes they most certainly are transferred.

To "transfer" is to move from one location to another.Â* SanDisk is
using the word to mean "copy" or replicate somewhere else.Â* The files
are not transferred; they never move.Â* They stay on the card with a
copy placed elsewhere.Â* What is being transferred is a copy, not the
file.

Again, it's one more validation of my original point:Â* we have several
terms that are understood to have the same meaning, and none of the
several common terms can be said to be incorrect.

Except perhaps in the context of historical origins. And pedantic
fanaticism.

(Since I'm currently reading about ARPAnet, I'm kinda into the history
thing right now!)

once again, you're *well* out of your league.

I love it when you come up that one.Â* If it's my league, I can't be
out of it.Â* The actual saying for what you mean is "You're well out of
my league".Â* You can't even use a bog-standard ad holmium correctly.

This one I had to look up, and actually put some thought to. (It's a
Saturday, the public TV station is doing pledges, and I'm bored!)

If your "league" is defined as the sphere of knowledge that you possess
and understand, then to be "out of your own league" would mean to be
arguing a topic that is outside your sphere of knowledge, a topic that
you don't entirely comprehend. So it is possible to be "outside of your
own league"

Alternatively, if you are outside of my league, then you are discussing
a topic that you admit to having less knowledge of the subject than I
have. Or perhaps more knowledge.

In the case of nospam, it's probably best to call a spade a shovel, and
just tell him that he will understand why nobody wants to play with him
when he grows up and moves out of his grandmother's basement.

Are you sure about nospam being a he?

Old December 3rd 17, 12:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 17:58:18 -0500, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 16:59:45 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

Anyone who writes, as you did, "move is another, although move means
deleting the originals" should never accuse anyone else of being over
their head in a topic.

that's *exactly* what move means.

If you had ever demonstrated a sense of humor here before, I would
think you are joking. But, you're not.

Moving a file does not delete anything. It merely relocates the file.

nope.

move a file from volume to another volume and the file will be copied,
then the original deleted,

Nonsense. The original is moved. Nothing is deleted.

'Moving' is a physical action. Something is physically moved. You can
physically move a brick. You can physically move a car. But computer
data is not physical. It is represented by a pattern of bits, the
exact nature f which depends on the medium on which the data is
stored. You cannot physically move data from (say) RAM to a hard disk.
The data on the hard disk is represented by a pattern of electrical
charges. The data on the HDD is represented by microscopic magnetic
domains.

resulting in one instance of the file.

Of course. The one instance is the original in the new location.
Remember the example of the apple being moved from one hand to the
other. It's still the original apple.

But that entails a physical movement. It's generally impossible to
move data inside a computer in the same way.

Old December 3rd 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 01 Dec 2017 17:51:29 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

the reality is that most people aren't interested in waiting a half
hour for their photos and videos to copy.

they do if they bought slow cards, possibly much longer than that.

The source of your data is ... ?

mathematics.

Mathematics can tell you whether or not "most people have half an
hour's worth of photos or videos to copy." I bet you can't prove it.

Eric Stevens