Why should I say "Cheese"?

Old November 28th 17, 10:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

Default Why should I say "Cheese"?

On 28/11/2017 1:01 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 27, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her subjects
to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know that when
you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks lift and
your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we do in
pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.

Neither the Portuguese queijo, nor the Spanish queso fit.

In Portugal it's customary to say "honest politician".
Guaranteed at least a smirk...
Old November 29th 17, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/28/2017 12:16 PM, Nuwen wrote:
PeterN writes:

snip

I, for one,
cannot maintain a good smile for 30 seconds when I'm posing for a
picture. It's a lot easier to sit stone-faced.

Would it be easier for you to smile at the thought of getting unexpected
checks? ;-)

--
PeterN
Old November 29th 17, 04:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/28/2017 4:11 AM, Noons wrote:
On 28/11/2017 1:01 @wiz, Savageduck wrote:
On Nov 27, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

We're not sure when or where a photographer first asked his or her
subjects
to state the name of the delicious dairy product, but we do know that
when
you say "cheese," the corners of your mouth turn up, your cheeks lift
and
your teeth show. It looks like a smile, and since smiling is what we
do in
pictures, the instruction seems pretty practical.

I wonder how this works in other languages .
I'll ask some foreigners I know.

Neither the Portuguese queijo, nor the Spanish queso fit.

In Portugal it's customary to say "honest politician".
Guaranteed at least a smirk...*

The expression, "honest politician", sounds like an oxymoron.

--
PeterN
Old November 29th 17, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
[email protected]

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 17:48:19 -0500, Ken Hart
wrote:

There are other words that work just as well. Try words with the long
"ee" followed by a "Z": freeze, ease, wheeze, etc.

Now we know why the police always say "FREEZE" when they point a gun at
a criminal. They want the criminal to see their smile.

Old November 29th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mayayana

"Savageduck" wrote

| WHY?
|
| ...because saying "Limburger", "cheddar", "quantum",
| "indubitably", or especially "Trump" doesn't produce the ****-eating,
| out of context, toothy grin that saying "cheese" does.

?? When I say cheese I just slightly open my mouth.
(Whisky-Dave's link notwithstanding. I certainly don't
turn up the corners of my mouth. All of the sounds
are produced without using the teeth. In fact, cheese
is an unusually flat word, requiring almost no movement
to enunciate it clearly.)

I'm not sure there's any word that requires much more.
F and V require upper teeth against lower lip, but who
wants to look bucktoothed?. If saying a word produced
a grin (or frown) then it would get very confusing trying
to interpret speech.

Maybe the tradition was just a silliness to make people
smile with amusement. Or a distraction so that they
would drop self-consciousness for a moment.

Old November 29th 17, 03:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Mayayana

"Ken Hart" wrote

| The word used is not important; you are looking for a smile expression.
| The word "cheese" forms the face and mouth into an appearance of a smile.
|
| There are other words that work just as well. Try words with the long
| "ee" followed by a "Z": freeze, ease, wheeze, etc.

Have you tried it in the mirror? I only see my
lips part slightly. The lips have no role in
pronouncing eez, so the idea that it causes an
upturn at the sides makes no sense.