Nikon announces new flagship **FILM** SLR – the F6!

Old September 16th 04, 11:03 PM
William Graham

"Bhup" wrote in message
perhaps its smaller than the F5 . I never liked the intgrated battery pack
of the F5
Nikon has got it right to to keep at the forefront of film too

Yes....I think TP's post is the key....The two engineering departments at
Nikon saw a chance to profit from each other's work, so they came out with
the F6 along with the D2X.....They wouldn't have normally replaced the F5
with so few improvements otherwise......

Old September 17th 04, 12:05 AM
Martin Francis

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Didn't mention viewfinder options ... have they gone fixed VF?

"Fixed eyelevel pentaprism". Shame....

.... means the used F5 will be even cheaper, though!!!

no, and yes...."

Old September 17th 04, 12:07 AM
Martin Francis

"David Edwards" wrote in message
The specs seem to imply that it comes with a "data back" as standard.

*gasp!*

no, and yes...."

Old September 17th 04, 12:09 AM
Martin Francis

"Stephen H. Westin" wrote in message
Hmm. The prism is now permanently mounted, so they lost at least one
F5 feature. I suspect that the improvements in size, weight,
alignment, and dust sealing were just too tempting...

.... and the chance to make an Nikon 1v.

no, and yes...."
..

Old September 17th 04, 01:03 AM
ThomasH

Bhup wrote:

I dont like the batery CR123A but Guess it has to have a fault.
I suspect all the digital people are asking Why.. have nikon done this
thought film was dead.
Gues ther is a market for the F6 .

B #
When My F3 /F90x break down I will conside a F6

I guess they like low temperature performance of lithium,
durability (10 years) and the higher energy density
(smaller size and weight.)

At least they have low price of down to $1.25 online, compared
to Canon's ultra-extra expensive and difficult to get on
the road 2CR5!!

Does someone knows how many mAh a typical CR123 has?

Do we have CR123 compatible rechargeable Li-Ion? They never
made large scale rechargeable 2CR5!

Thomas

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
om...
Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

Old September 17th 04, 01:14 AM
Sander Vesik

William Graham wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message
om...
Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

- Peter

The specs seem almost identical to the F5......I really don't see anything
that warrants a new model.....Perhaps quieter, and perhaps better flash
control, but an F6?

No. F6 is all the features of F5 with all the features that have been added
to the digital cameras - including D2H - moved over to film. You should
re-read teh specs ;-) While its true the difference isnt as big as it has
been in the changes in top dSLR-s, the fault there is with dSLR-s having
stated off really primitive in comparison.

--
Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++
Old September 17th 04, 02:06 AM
Sander Vesik

Alan Browne wrote:
Peter Lawrence wrote:

Here's the link to Nikon's press release:

http://nikonimaging.com/global/news/2004/0916_02.htm

Glad to hear it. As William says, so what, it's an F5... but it
looks more compact and up to date ... has some questionable bells
and whistles ("Shutter Monitor"?)...

Its not a F5. Please look at the specs (not pictures) of D2X and F6
and F5 side by side.

D2X F6 F5

AF 11-area Multi-CAM 2000 same multi-cam 1300
AF modes 4 same 2
exposure comp 5EV, steps of 1/3,1/2,1 same 5EV, steps of 1/3
rear LCD yes yes no

Didn't mention viewfinder options ... have they gone fixed VF?

The spec says: Fixed eye-level pentaprism, built-in diopter
adjustment (-2.0 to +1m-1), eyepiece shutter,
eyepiece DK-17 (eyepiece lock available)

*IMHO* they should have called it F200 - but I suspect that there will
be just one new gen high end film camera, not two so some things are
gained and some lost in convergence of F5 and F100 follow-ons.

Cheers,
Alan

--
Sander