Lytro = junkpile

Old March 1st 12, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Lytro = junkpile

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
days and shelve.

The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
buyer as well.

If you think the Bushnell 'Permafocus' binocular is a valid comparison
with what the Lytro does then you clearly don't understand the Lytro.

Do you remember those awful 1.2~1.5 Mp cameras? Are you aware of what
they have grown into? Just think what the Lytro might grow into over
the same period of time.

Regards,

Eric Stevens
Old March 2nd 12, 09:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

wrote:

[...]

The writers were correct to point out that the average small-sensor
P&S achieves basically the same deep DOF results with FAR better image
quality.

Which is not the point of the camera in question. It's not about "deep"
DOF but a single point in time and an image providing whatever DOF the
viewer cares to select, and re-select.

I'm not surprised you can't make the distinction - just like the writers
who don't get it but you have to ape.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.
Old March 2nd 12, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

wrote:

[...]

Please stop insulting simians.

--
Peter
Old March 3rd 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

On 2012-03-03 03:27 , Bruce wrote:
wrote:

It's a worthless piece of toy crap. You are just too stupid or ga-ga
over a gadget to realize it. So go buy one. Then post your
results.

I cannot think of a camera that would better suit Alan Browne's
so-called "skill set".

I think "junkpile" is too kind. The camera is crap as well. ;-)

I'm sure it can't take photos acceptable for Paris Match covers.

But it probably takes better photos of trains than Tony "Bruce" Polson
ever took.

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cg...-98/d9000a.jpg
http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cg...-98/d9000b.jpg
http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cg...-98/d9000c.jpg

The je ne sais quoi of the poor composition, clutter, bad exposure and
horrible grain are monuments to his inability.

I said I didn't know."
-Samuel Clemens.

Lytro = junkpile Alan Browne Digital Photography 14 March 5th 12 04:08 AM
Lytro = junkpile Robert Coe Digital Photography 2 March 1st 12 11:45 PM
Inside the Lytro charles Digital Photography 1 March 1st 12 09:06 AM
Lytro philo[_3_] Digital Photography 16 November 1st 11 10:07 PM
Lytro Camera Eric Miller Digital Photography 3 August 8th 11 09:46 PM