Photo Trip to Rome

Old February 20th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Photo Trip to Rome

I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The Vatican
and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put it
away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

Old February 20th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt bedacht in :

I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The
Vatican and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put
it away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

Bureaucratic zeal, probably (and a 9/11 scare?). Should you have been able
to answer them in Italian, they probably woulf have backed off. It's second
nature to them.

JL
Old February 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Justus Lipsius bedacht in :

Edward Holt bedacht in :

I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The
Vatican and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to
put it away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

Bureaucratic zeal, probably (and a 9/11 scare?). Should you have been
able to answer them in Italian, they probably woulf have backed off.
It's second nature to them.

JL

For instance: I was once chased of the Vatican square (oval, really) by the
Swiss guards when I tried to cross it at night. They didn't use their pikes
or wear their silly costumes, but they were Swiss guards allright. Another
case of bureaucratic zeal.
Old February 20th 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote:
I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The Vatican
and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put it
away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

They do the same thing at the White House in Washington...
Old February 20th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Edward Holt wrote:
I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The Vatican
and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put it
away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

At the ruins of the Greek temples at Paestum, a few kilometers south of
Salerno, the same thing happened to me. I speak Italian and asked the
reason for this as photography was permitted and that I was using a
tripod with rubber feet rather than spikes which could damage the
ground. The park employee became more agitated. I later learned that
if one is using a tripod, one is presumed a professional and that the
photos would be competition for the guidebooks, postcard, and other
local photographic products.

The occasion I mention here was in 1999, so 911 hysteria wasn't a factor.
Old February 20th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Edward Holt" wrote in message
I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The Vatican
and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put it
away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

You have to get permission beforehand by paying a fee with some city
officials, as I recall.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old February 21st 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:26:56 GMT, Larry wrote:

Edward Holt wrote:
I recently went to Rome to take some pictures at the Coliseum, The Vatican
and the Monument of Vittorio.

At each location I tried to use my tripod but officials told me to put it
away.

Does anyone know what that should be?

At the ruins of the Greek temples at Paestum, a few kilometers south of
Salerno, the same thing happened to me. I speak Italian and asked the
reason for this as photography was permitted and that I was using a
tripod with rubber feet rather than spikes which could damage the
ground. The park employee became more agitated. I later learned that
if one is using a tripod, one is presumed a professional and that the
photos would be competition for the guidebooks, postcard, and other
local photographic products.

The occasion I mention here was in 1999, so 911 hysteria wasn't a factor.

I've had the same thing happen to me in Washington, DC, for the same
reason. It is possible to get a tripod permit from the Park Police though.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****
Old February 21st 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

There are a number of heavy pedestrian ways that are hard on tri-pods
on principal around the world. You can catch grief in Manhattan! If
you were lucky enough to visit Rome in January or February you can't
imagine the crowds on the Via dei Fori Imperiali or St Peter's on a
Saturday or Sunday in August or on a Tuesday in May for that matter.
You might think about a monopod for those kinds of situations, pass it
off as a walking aide.

Old February 21st 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

How about a monopod?
Can these cause grief?
Marcel