Nikon D7000 is made in China, CHINA!!!

Old December 23rd 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Nikon D7000 is made in China, CHINA!!!

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 00:13:04 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Eric Stevens
saying something like:

Of course that was another problem. Then, the Roots group (Humber,
Hillman) couldn't control cylinder bore diameter to better than .010"
so that when choosing pistons, all engines had to be selectively
assembled. Ford had similar problems when machining blocks for
crankshaft bearings. Those, too, had to be selectively assembled and
bearing shells had a 'fit' code which had to match the housing in the
block and the cap (often different). Rover decided to take advantage
of generous tolerances to use Loctite to secure cylinder liners in
place. But they couldn't machine all blocks/liners sufficiently
accurately and liners used to move in the block. On occasion a liner
would drop to the point where the top ring on the piston would snap
out over the top. Things stopped rather suddenly once that happened.

These days I shudder when the British talk of British Craftsmanship.
I'll take Japanese craftmanship any time.

Hah, it goes back further.
An oft-repeated tale, but I actually knew (worked with) a bloke who was
there, in the era.
RR Merlins were made under licence by Packard. Nobody in RR service/tech
departments could believe that Packard's production line could possibly
produce engines to the tolerances needed.
On stripping a couple down they found them to be better...

Originally itwas not Packard but Ford who were to make the Merelin in
the US. They had to go through all the RR drawings and rework them to
tighten the tolerances to render them fit for production line
manufacture. Before they finished this work Packard took over the job
and also had to rework the drawings. The British made Merlins relied
on considerable 'British Craftsmanship' to enable the less precisely
made British Merlins to be assembled.

Btw, the bloke I knew was employed by RR to visit the various front-line
fighter bases and rebuild worn and battle-damaged Merlins. The RAF
mechanics were perfectly capable of doing it, but if he did it, the
factory warranty applied. Strange thought - a factory warranty on a
fighter engine in the heat of battle and I wonder if the RAF ever
claimed it. Probably self-limiting, in that if enemy action caused the
damage, the warranty was void.

Manufacturing and design problems did cause some engine failures and
the loss of aircraft.

Eric Stevens
Old December 23rd 10, 02:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-22 16:05:08 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Savageduck
saying something like:

The English motorcycle industry was locked into their post war "Golden
age" of the late 40's-early 50's using pre-war 1930's manufacturing
technology and design. The Japanese, German and Italian MC factories
were newly rebuilt and could introduce innovation in design and
manufacturing tech. By 1958 the English manufacturers were behind the
curve and once Mike Hailwood won a World 125cc Championship with Mr.
Honda's little motorcycles it was all over

The British motorcycle industry wasn't short of decent designers and
engineers, just that the management couldn't or wouldn't see sense.
For example, BSA had a modular range of engines on the drawing board and
iirc, the smaller ones actually made it to the metal stage. A basic
single cylinder of 200cc, a 400cc twin, a 600cc triple an
across-the-frame four of 800cc and get this - a V5 litre bike.
All this in 1965 or thereabouts. Of course, the tooling costs would have
been high, but if they had indeed put the 200 and 400s into production,
they'd have made a start.

....but it didn't happen.

Savageduck

Old December 23rd 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-22 16:13:04 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

A 20mm cannon round through the block should pretty much void warranty,
but it might just have been another way of implementing Lend Lease.

I have a feeling those RR Merlins were found, for the most part in
P-51s. So I am not sure just what proportion of Packard built Merlins
ended up in RAF aircraft. The Merlin 61 was built in the US & the UK
but used the Packard designed split head and ended up in Spitfire Mk IX
and P-51s. The later Spitfires used the RR Griffon not the Merlin.

English built Merlins came out of 3 RR plants and one English Ford
factory. There were just too many variants of the Merlin made for a
wide array of aircraft, ranging from all of the British bombers, The
Beaufighter, Mosquito, the Hurricane, & Spitfire. All were different.
Once the move to replace the Allison in the P-51 was made, it only made
sense to build those engines in the US rather than have them make a two
way trip across the Atlantic.

Savageduck

Old December 23rd 10, 03:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Kennedy McEwen

In article 2010122217493137709-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
writes
I have a feeling those RR Merlins were found, for the most part in
P-51s. So I am not sure just what proportion of Packard built Merlins
ended up in RAF aircraft. The Merlin 61 was built in the US & the UK
but used the Packard designed split head and ended up in Spitfire Mk IX
and P-51s. The later Spitfires used the RR Griffon not the Merlin.

English built Merlins came out of 3 RR plants and one English Ford
factory.

Ford at Dagenham.

Anyone recall the Ford TV advertisement in the UK from 1991, just before
the 50th Anniversary of the Battle of Britain that went something like
this?
Opening scene: a green field with a clear blue sky above. Sound of
birds and insects for a few seconds before an engine starts up and the
green field scrolls to bottom of screen, leaving blue sky and some
fluffy clouds. Then text and dead pan voice-over begins:
"Between 1939 and 1945 the Ford Motor Company supplied X (I don't recall
number) Merlin engines from its Dagenham factory for the RAF Spitfire
aircraft...
One reason why we don't say 'Vorsprung Durch Technik'."

Hilarious, but apparently there were a lot of complaints (probably from
Audi dealers) and it was quickly pulled. Occasionally look for it on
YouTube, but haven't spotted it yet. ;-)
--
Kennedy
Old December 23rd 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:49:31 -0800, Savageduck

On 2010-12-22 16:13:04 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

Most of the British bombers used them also e.g. Lancaster and
Mosquito. At one stage it was feared that there would be a shortage of
Merlins and Lancasters were fitted with Bristol engines. See
http://www.aviation-history.com/avro/683.html

So I am not sure just what proportion of Packard built Merlins
ended up in RAF aircraft. The Merlin 61 was built in the US & the UK
but used the Packard designed split head and ended up in Spitfire Mk IX
and P-51s. The later Spitfires used the RR Griffon not the Merlin.

English built Merlins came out of 3 RR plants and one English Ford
factory. There were just too many variants of the Merlin made for a
wide array of aircraft, ranging from all of the British bombers, The
Beaufighter, Mosquito, the Hurricane, & Spitfire. All were different.
Once the move to replace the Allison in the P-51 was made, it only made
sense to build those engines in the US rather than have them make a two
way trip across the Atlantic.

They needed them anyway.

Eric Stevens
Old December 23rd 10, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2010-12-22 16:13:04 -0800, Grimly Curmudgeon
said:

[...]

Yup! However the British built Merlin type XX used in the Lancaster I,
Beaufighter Mk.II, Hurricane Mk.II, & Halifax Mk.II was not used in any
Spitfire variant. Packard's involvement with this engine came later.

The Spitfires starting with the Mk.II, used the Merlin XII, Merlin 45,
Merlin 47, Merlin 50M (negative G carb), Merlin 61/261(Packard modified
2 piece cylinder block), Merlin 66/266.
The 1934 Mk.I Spitfire used the Merlin predecessor the RR PV-XII.

Packard V-1650 built Merlins had a "2" prefix and were use in
Spitfires, P-51s, and replaced Allisons in P-40F & P-40L. Packard first
started their program in late 1940, with the first motors delivered in
August 1941, and intended for the P-40s being delivered to the RAF,
RAAF, SAAF under Lend Lease. The P-51 was just off the North American
drawing board at that time. The first Allison powered prototype P-51
flew in October 1940, with production deliveries to the RAF in 1942. In
April 1942 the unhappy RAF made the change to add a Merlin 61 and a
Spitfire Mk.IX four blade prop to improve high altitude performance
labeling it the "Mustang Mk.X " The rest is history.

The version of Merlin built by Packard for the P-40 & P-51 was based on
the Merlin 28 which was a type XX as used in the Lancaster. Packard
made modifications to the original blue prints changing the main
bearings from RR copper-lead alloy to silver-lead with iridium plating.
They then added the Wright two speed, two stage supercharger. These
were also used in some Lancasters & Mosquito, some developmental AC and
the F-82 "Twin Mustang".

So I am not sure just what proportion of Packard built Merlins
ended up in RAF aircraft. The Merlin 61 was built in the US & the UK
but used the Packard designed split head and ended up in Spitfire Mk IX
and P-51s. The later Spitfires used the RR Griffon not the Merlin.

English built Merlins came out of 3 RR plants and one English Ford
factory. There were just too many variants of the Merlin made for a
wide array of aircraft, ranging from all of the British bombers, The
Beaufighter, Mosquito, the Hurricane, & Spitfire. All were different.
Once the move to replace the Allison in the P-51 was made, it only made
sense to build those engines in the US rather than have them make a two
way trip across the Atlantic.

They needed them anyway.

Yup! I guess the got them.

Savageduck

Old January 1st 11, 11:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:44:05 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Eric Stevens
saying something like:

The British made Merlins relied
on considerable 'British Craftsmanship' to enable the less precisely
made British Merlins to be assembled.

Exactly.
All the casting faces were 'hand finished' - what a load of cock that
was, when a decent machining job avoided it entirely.

But the British-made Merlins were considerably more oil-tight than
their trans-Atlantic brethren. I don't know how much that was due to
quality of machined surfaces vs joint sealant technology.

Eric Stevens
Old January 1st 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:50:50 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Savageduck
saying something like:

The Merlin 61 was built in the US & the UK
but used the Packard designed split head and ended up in Spitfire Mk IX
and P-51s.

That reminds me of something else he told me. Before the separate
cylinder head was introduced, RR had a problem with porous castings and
once glycol got into the combustion chambers it produced a dense smoke
which the pilot couldn't see through on landing. He said it led to quite
a few aircraft and pilot losses on landing.

You can't see much round a spitfire's engine cowl anyway. It used to
be common to side-slip in to get the cowl out of the field of view.
Once you got close to the ground it was a matter of straightening up
and landing by feel. If you had a cylinder head leaking glycol you
could always side-slip away from the smoke, unless you were unlucky
enough to have glycol leaks on both sides.

Eric Stevens
Old January 1st 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2011-01-01 14:24:11 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:44:05 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Eric Stevens
saying something like:

The British made Merlins relied
on considerable 'British Craftsmanship' to enable the less precisely
made British Merlins to be assembled.

Exactly.
All the casting faces were 'hand finished' - what a load of cock that
was, when a decent machining job avoided it entirely.

But the British-made Merlins were considerably more oil-tight than
their trans-Atlantic brethren. I don't know how much that was due to
quality of machined surfaces vs joint sealant technology.

Eric Stevens

Where did that piece of information come from?
Sounds apocryphal to me.

Savageduck

Old January 3rd 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 1 Jan 2011 14:32:32 -0800, Savageduck

On 2011-01-01 14:24:11 -0800, Eric Stevens said:

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:44:05 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Eric Stevens
saying something like:

The British made Merlins relied
on considerable 'British Craftsmanship' to enable the less precisely
made British Merlins to be assembled.

Exactly.
All the casting faces were 'hand finished' - what a load of cock that
was, when a decent machining job avoided it entirely.

But the British-made Merlins were considerably more oil-tight than
their trans-Atlantic brethren. I don't know how much that was due to
quality of machined surfaces vs joint sealant technology.

Eric Stevens

Where did that piece of information come from?
Sounds apocryphal to me.

Royal New Zealand Airforce, which at one time operated both P-51s and
Mosquitos. I have no direct knowledge of my own.

From my days of owning a Triumph motorcycle, I do know the miraculous
properties of Rolls Royce Gasket Cement - a sticky rubbery brew
specially developed to help keep the oil inside the Merlin.

Eric Stevens