slide scanners?

Old October 27th 04, 01:17 PM
Arold \Al\ Green

Default slide scanners?

I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
digitize.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Thanks,
Al
__
Arold "Al" Green

Old October 27th 04, 03:20 PM
gsum

Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.

Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.

Graham

Old October 27th 04, 03:31 PM
Arold \Al\ Green

I have an Epson 3200 and must not be using it correctly. The holder
for slides only holds 4 and the quality is terrible.
What I want is a dedicated film scanner that will take a stack of 40
or 50 slides.
Al

"gsum" wrote:

Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.

Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.

Graham

.. .

Old October 27th 04, 04:16 PM
Bob Salomon

"Jim A" wrote:

The canon FS 4000 is excellent and can handle 4 slides at a time.

"Arold "Al" Green" wrote in message
I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
digitize.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Thanks,
Al
__
Arold "Al" Green

The Braun 3600 scanner can do up to 100 slides in any 2x2" mount, in any
order, fully automatically.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old October 27th 04, 06:59 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Arold \"Al\" Green" writes:

I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
digitize.
Does anyone have a recommendation?

Nikon has stack feeders for some of their models -- I know the ls-2000
and the ls-5000 had them. I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with
the ls-2000 slide feeder, have not heard much about trouble with the
ls-5000 unit, and have never used either slide feeder myself.
Old October 27th 04, 10:04 PM
ECM

"gsum" wrote:

Epson 3200 or 4280 flatbed.

Handles about 16 to 20 35mm slides at a time and has masks for
MF and LF film. The quality beats all but the best dedicated film
scanners. See the www.photo-i.co.uk review for details.

Graham

"Arold "Al" Green" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
digitize.
Does anyone have a recommendation?
Thanks,
Al
__
Arold "Al" Green

__
Arold "Al" Green

Are your slides in the frames? that will adversly affect the quality,
because they're held a little bit above the glass (which is the actual
focal point for the scanner sensors). I occasionally scan slides, and
I pry off the frame to scan them - makes a world of difference on my
(admittedly old) Acer scanner. Also a proper light box is essential.

If you have rolls or strips of slide film or negatives, I've heard
that the Pacific Image PrimeFilm 3650 Pro can scan strips and rolls.
Image quality according to the few reviews is not as good as the
Minoltas or Nikons but you get what you pay for. It includes Digital
Ice, an essential dust and scratch removal utility - the Nikon V,
Minolta Scan Elite 5400 and the Benq ScanWit 2740S all also come with
Digital Ice and generally run in the sub-$600 range also.

Good Luck!
ECM
Old October 27th 04, 11:00 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with the ls-2000 slide feeder,
have not heard much about trouble with the ls-5000 unit, and have never used
either slide feeder myself.

I had an LS-2000 and now have an LS-5000. The quality of scans from the
LS-5000 is terrific. I bought the old slide feeder (SF-200) for the
LS-2000, and this is the unit that has complaints. The complaint is that
it doesn't automatically adjust for skinny slides (such as cardboard mounts)
so two of them start getting inserted at the same time, and the unit jams.
The fix that everyone recommends (and which works perfectly well for me) is
to use double-stick tape to hold a piece of hard plastic, like an old credit
card, along the surface leading to where the gap is too big, in order to
create a gap that is perfectly sized for the width of slides being scanned.
Apparently the NEW feeder has an adjustable gap-modulator, or whatever you
want to call it, but my older model works perfectly well with this simple
but unusual fix.

In any case, this feeder does about 40 or 50 slides at a time--and again,
the scans are superb.

Old October 28th 04, 05:42 AM
Arold \Al\ Green

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, this is just the information that I was looking for.
Al
__
Arold "Al" Green
Old October 28th 04, 05:46 AM
Mason A. Clark

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:59:12 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

"Arold \"Al\" Green" writes:

I am looking for a slide scanner that will handle multiple slides
without constant monitoring. Have a lot of slides that I want to
digitize.
Does anyone have a recommendation?

Nikon has stack feeders for some of their models -- I know the ls-2000
and the ls-5000 had them. I've heard of a fair amount of trouble with
the ls-2000 slide feeder, have not heard much about trouble with the
ls-5000 unit, and have never used either slide feeder myself.

Just to mention it: I've been copying slides by projecting them the
length of my dinner table onto a smooth screen and photographing with
my 3.2 Mp digital camera. Instant "scanning" -- very fast and I've been
delighted with the results. Preserving slides in the computer for
viewing on screen. The 8 x 10 prints I've made have also been good.
Amazing in fact. And the theory is sound :-)

Mason C