Newbie needing help--image artifacts?

Old March 21st 05, 02:13 AM
Iguana

Default Newbie needing help--image artifacts?

Hello all. I should first post some disclaimers: I'm new to digital
photography, so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things (trying to
learn though!) I had a film SLR many many years ago that I did some
hobbyist photography.

Trying to pick up hobby photography again, I purchased my first digital,
a Nikon D70 (kit with lens) today. Went out and took a few lousy
pictures just to get a feel for basics--used the camera on all auto
settings as recommended in the quick-start guide (saved in JPG, large
photo save, ISO200, etc). I'm saving learning what the more advanced
features do until later.

I noticed when I copied the files to my computer later, that 2 of them
that contain a lot of sky have some gray dots, in the same places. A
3rd image containing the sky, taken between these 2, does not have the
same dots--but this middle image was not zoomed in as much. Is this
perhaps the dust on the CCD that I've read about? I hope someone can
help me with what it is--I just bought the camera today, and was careful
about attaching the lens (I attached it indoors to avoid dust and
debris).

Here is a link to the photos in question (yeah they are lousy, forgive
me): http://photobucket.com/albums/y77/bufomax/

The center photograph does not contain the dots, but the two end ones
do.

Also, what is recommended with a brand-new camera to do about the dots?
If it is dust, is it easiest to use the small blower-bulb to clean it,
or should I take it somewhere/swap the camera, since it is new?

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

--Iguana
Old March 21st 05, 02:43 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Iguana writes:

[...]

They could be dust. How badly dust shows up depends on the aperture
you shoot at, among other things. Check the EXIF data (or your
memory, if reliable) for what aperture the three photos were shot at;
if the middle one was a wider aperture that may explain the
difference.

The dot position in the first photo matches one of the dots in the
third, and the others might be there hidden among branches -- I
didn't superimpose them to check really carefully.

Or shoot a small-aperture shot of the sky (or some bright even field)
so the sky is a couple of stops brighter than mid-grey, and check
*that* for dust. You'll nearly inevitably find *some*; you may find
the same pieces in their same positions, which would be definitive.
You want to do this before you clean the sensor, anyway, so you can
tell how much good you did.

Also, what is recommended with a brand-new camera to do about the dots?
If it is dust, is it easiest to use the small blower-bulb to clean it,
or should I take it somewhere/swap the camera, since it is new?

You might as well learn to clean the sensor, is my opinion. I found a
blower-bulb completely useless, and had to go to a suitable swab
(PEC-pads or equivalent grade) with Eclipse cleaning fluid to actually
get the dust off mine. But a blower bulb is harmless short of clumsy
handling, so no reason not to try. You're going to be cleaning it
every 6 months to a week, depending on the conditions you work in, how
much you use it, and what kind of pictures you take (some kinds of
work won't show up the dust nearly as much).

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

No problem. Sensible reasonable question backed up with actual images
of what you asking complaining about; this is *not* something people
here will complain much about!
Old March 21st 05, 03:29 AM
Sheldon

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
Iguana writes:

[...]

Decent advice, but I'd start with a "large" blower bulb. The manual will
tell you how to lock up the mirror to get to the image sensor. Hold the
camera with the image sensor facing somewhat down, and give it a few blasts
with the blower. If you work with the image sensor straight up you may just
move the dust around, so let gravity give you a hand.. Be careful not to
touch the sensor with the end of the blower. If you are still having
problems give it one more try and then you will probably have to actually
swab or brush the sensor.

This problem comes up a lot here, and you have to make up your mind whether
one of those special brushes (don't use any old brush), or a pec pad and
some cleaning liquid are best for you. You can send it to Nikon, but word
is that it may pick up a few spots on the way back, and the charges will
begin to add up if you send it to Nikon every time you get some dust on the
sensor. Also, Nikon Capture can get rid of the dust for you via software.
It doesn't remove the dust, but it covers it up on the image.

Welcome to the world of DSLR's.

Old March 21st 05, 04:09 AM
Diane Wilson

lid says...
Hello all. I should first post some disclaimers: I'm new to digital
photography, so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things (trying to
learn though!) I had a film SLR many many years ago that I did some
hobbyist photography.

Trying to pick up hobby photography again, I purchased my first digital,
a Nikon D70 (kit with lens) today. Went out and took a few lousy
pictures just to get a feel for basics--used the camera on all auto
settings as recommended in the quick-start guide (saved in JPG, large
photo save, ISO200, etc). I'm saving learning what the more advanced
features do until later.

As another new D70 owner, I can tell you that the "auto" mode is
purely a point-and-shoot almost idiot-proof setting, but without
a lot of flexibility. The "P" setting is also full auto-focus and
auto-exposure, but gives you all the flexibility in metering,
exposure control, etc. I suggest that you change from Auto to "P"
as soon as you start exploring the rest of the features of the
D70.

You may also find that the auto white balance is something you
want to turn off. Sometimes it does very good things, but sometimes,
if your subject has a limited range of color, the auto white balance
won't give you accurate color. If you want the predictability of
film, in terms of color balance, try the fixed white balance
settings.

[...]

David's advice on sensor cleaning is good. There have been recent
discussions on dust on sensors recently, so you might want to Google
for those.

Diane
Old March 21st 05, 04:14 AM
Stacey

Iguana wrote:

I noticed when I copied the files to my computer later, that 2 of them
that contain a lot of sky have some gray dots, in the same places. A
3rd image containing the sky, taken between these 2, does not have the
same dots--but this middle image was not zoomed in as much.

And is shot as a vertical so the dots would be mixed in with the tree limbs.
Given all three were shot at very close to the same fstop (around F11) this
is probably dust or else a problem with the cameras sensor.

Is this
perhaps the dust on the CCD that I've read about? I hope someone can
help me with what it is--I just bought the camera today, and was careful
about attaching the lens (I attached it indoors to avoid dust and
debris).

Doesn't matter, seems many come with dust on the sensor from the factory?

Might as well get used to cleaning it as this will be something you'll have
to deal with. Maybe if you never change the lens it won't happen again? I
still don't understand why most manufactures are ignoring this as being a
problem.
--

Stacey
Old March 21st 05, 04:52 AM
Iguana

snipping

Thanks to all the advice so far. I'll definately be heading out to a pick
up a blower-bulb. I saw a few people in the "CCD dust poll" thread (can't
remember exact name of thread offhand, but it is fairly current) say that
their cameras came out of box with a bit of dust, so it doesn't seem
necessarily uncommon.

-Iguana
Old March 21st 05, 06:00 AM
C J Campbell

It is dust. You can try a blower bulb, but the blower bulb is as likely to
blow dust onto your sensor as off it. There are two other methods:

The Copper Hill method, described by David:

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

and using a special brush:

http://194.100.88.243/petteri/pont/H...ur_Sensor.html
or http://makeashorterlink.com/?F22E256AA

The brush method is less intrusive and probably better. If these methods do
not remove the dust, you will have to send the camera in for professional
cleaning. Any other method will almost certainly introduce more dust than it
removes, leave a residue on your sensor, or scratch the sensor.

Another option is to simply ignore the dust and use the Healing Brush or
Clone Stamp in a photo editing program to get rid of it, or use Nikon
Capture and a dust reference photo to remove dust. Dust only shows up
against bright or solid color backgrounds like sky, so you will not see dust
if it is obscured by something else.

Old March 21st 05, 01:19 PM
Alan Browne

Iguana wrote:

Here is a link to the photos in question (yeah they are lousy, forgive
me): http://photobucket.com/albums/y77/bufomax/

Ya got dust. Don't panic.

The center photograph does not contain the dots, but the two end ones
do.

If the aperture was open, you won't see the dust spots easilly (or at
all). If the aperture was closed down (f/16 .. f/22 ...) then you're
likely to see dust against a bright background).

Also, what is recommended with a brand-new camera to do about the dots?

Throw it aside with great force.

If it is dust, is it easiest to use the small blower-bulb to clean it,
or should I take it somewhere/swap the camera, since it is new?

If you can get away with it, sure, but you might as well learn to clean it.

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

Well, you can google this group for the 300 methods to clean dust from
the sensor.

Cheers,
Alan

Old March 21st 05, 02:35 PM
Iguana

Thanks again for the help. It looks like I'll be off into dust-cleaning
soon.

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

Well, you can google this group for the 300 methods to clean dust from
the sensor.

I did read a lot of references to dust, and how to clean it, etc, my
problem was just that I couldn't find what dust spots looked like. When
googling, most the time I saw a forum/news post with a link to a "dust"
picture, it was an old post with a dead link

But you guys know how to identify dust better than I can, and I appreciate
the help.

--Iguana

Old March 21st 05, 11:10 PM

In message ,
"C J Campbell" wrote:

It is dust. You can try a blower bulb, but the blower bulb is as likely to
blow dust onto your sensor as off it. There are two other methods:

I doubt that. I think that the fast blast makes it very difficult for
new dust to attach itself to the sensor. Most dust that sticks to the
sensor arrives slowly, and sticks because of static electricity. I have
*never* failed to decrease the amount of dust with my blower bulb (it is
a bulb intended for sucking solder).
--

John P Sheehy