Sometimes it's Just Really Sad to Watch People with P&S Cameras

Old December 18th 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Navas[_2_]

Default Sometimes it's Just Really Sad to Watch People with P&S Cameras

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 18:08:50 -0600, "HEMI-Powered" wrote
in :

Occasionally, I hear about people who get upset when security at
various events, especially commercial concerts, stop them at the
entrance and forbid them access with a camera of any sort. Of
course, this turns into a freedom of expression argument right
away or a rant against those who are anal about their copyrighted
performances. Yet, another perspective is the one you cite,
namely that if people are numerous enough taking noisy or flash
pictures at a quiet event, one may get pretty ****ed off. I would
personally like to avoid any confrontations, of course, but I'd
bet that the perpetrators of the annoyance probably don't even
realize they're doing something others may dislike. ...

By and large I don't think they care. Note how many are busy chatting
in the cell phones despite the glares of people around them. If you ask
them politely to take the call outside, be prepared for a blast in
return. Civility and courtesy are lost arts.
--
Best regards,
John
Old December 18th 08, 12:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

HEMI-Powered wrote:

Occasionally, I hear about people who get upset when security at
various events, especially commercial concerts, stop them at the
entrance and forbid them access with a camera of any sort. Of
course, this turns into a freedom of expression argument right
away or a rant against those who are anal about their copyrighted
performances. Yet, another perspective is the one you cite,
namely that if people are numerous enough taking noisy or flash
pictures at a quiet event, one may get pretty ****ed off.

The event host needs to set the rules. At some school events, the
principal or director is pretty good, and explains at the beginning that
there is no flash photography during the playing, no standing up to take
photos or videos, no cell phones, etc.. Last night, they made the cell
phone announcement, but nothing about photography. So there were several
annoying people taking flash photographs while the students were
playing. There is one advantage of a P&S camera in that you can set it
to operate silently, while the SLR makes too much noise in a quiet
concert hall to take photos during the performance.
Old December 18th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_7_]

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[]
What I've found to be helpful in the rare times when I want to
try for some photography where I think tempers may flair is to
ask in advance and NOT use flash. Sometimes I'm given the OK but
most times I'm asked not to. Again, some would argue that they
have a God-given or First Amendment right to take pictures of
anything, anytime, anywhere, but I'd rather not risk getting
booted from the event, or worse, having an encounter with the
police that might involve losing my camera or even getting
arrested.

Asking is an excellent idea. At least I've done this where there was a
"no photographs" policy and told it would be OK if I was discreet (this
wasn't during a performance of any kind - but a guided tour of a
building).

Cheers,
David

Old December 18th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
HEMI-Powered[_2_]

David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

HEMI-Powered wrote:
[]
What I've found to be helpful in the rare times when I want
to try for some photography where I think tempers may flair
is to ask in advance and NOT use flash. Sometimes I'm given
the OK but most times I'm asked not to. Again, some would
argue that they have a God-given or First Amendment right to
take pictures of anything, anytime, anywhere, but I'd rather
not risk getting booted from the event, or worse, having an
encounter with the police that might involve losing my camera
or even getting arrested.

Asking is an excellent idea. At least I've done this where
there was a "no photographs" policy and told it would be OK if
I was discreet (this wasn't during a performance of any kind -
but a guided tour of a building).

Hi, David. Usually, I subscribe to the old saying "better to ask
forgiveness than to ask permission" which often works quite well.
But, when it seems either obvious or likely that there MAY or
WILL be a "no photographs allowed" policy, I at least try to ask.

Sometimes I hear really dumb-ass stuff, like the Henry Ford
Museum IMAX theatre people who claim that photography isn't
allowed because the movies are copyrighted! Ya think?! But, small
scale photography of just about anything that is commercially
copyrighted - and what isn't? - IS allowed under the basic "fair
use"doctrine of the US (for me) Patent and Copyright Office. Of
course, the music, TV, and movie industry lobby has been ultra-
effective in getting wording inserted into several restrictive
laws that would SEEM to abrogate one's right os free expression.

But again, I also feel strongly that reality trumps all the other
cards in the game of life and even if one can eventually prevail,
perhaps when trying to talk your way out of being arrested for
disturbing the peace or worsee or even in court should an arrest
be made or a cause of action filed against you, it just isn't
worth it for a few candid snapshots. Yeah, I also know that
freedom is precious and if not vigorously defended it can and
will be lost, still ... discretion often is the better part of
valor.

Have a good one,David!

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this the War Room!" –
President Merkin Muffley, in the movie 'Dr. Strangelove or How I
Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb'
Old December 18th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
SMS

Default Sometimes it's Just Really Sad to Listen to People with DSLRCameras

-hh wrote:

Of course, none of us really have any hard data either way.

No hard data, but look at how teenagers use their camera phones and
digital cameras. They use the LCD screen to share images with their friends.