Kigamo Scanback 6000 with Notebook?

Old September 29th 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

Default Kigamo Scanback 6000 with Notebook?

Hi there,

I bought a used Kigamo Scanback 6000 which I try to get to work with an
XP notebook through an Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI adapter.

Unfortunately the software doesn't recognize the camera.

Kigamo refuses to assist me with the problem, instead they write mails
like "look into the CD" (which the seller didn't have anymore) and "this
is really simple, but the seller should have explained it to you"
(unfortunately the seller used it with a Mac notebook) and "you can buy
a new CD at 599 Euros".

All in all I'd like to discourage anybody to buy Kigamo hardware, at
least not in Germany. The USA dependence on the contrary was very nice
and they tried to help (but so far couldn't find the problem). As I
don't happen to have 10,000 euros around for a new scanback I just have
to make this one work :-)

Does anybody have the same device and can give me a hint?

I installed both the ASPI32-drivers that came with the software as well
as NERO ASPI for XP, to no avail.

Thanks for your supprt.

Best regards,
Martin
Old September 29th 07, 01:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Peter

On Sep 29, 10:27 am, Martin Schneider martin.schnei...@illusion-
factory.de wrote:
[...]

The company has a support site: http://kigamo.com/support/index.html
You probably have already found it, but in case not.

Old September 29th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

Peter schrieb:
Does anybody have the same device and can give me a hint?

I installed both the ASPI32-drivers that came with the software as well
as NERO ASPI for XP, to no avail.

The company has a support site: http://kigamo.com/support/index.html
You probably have already found it, but in case not.

I certainly have... Unfortunately, there is not much support on this
site, and as I wrote, I even mailed with them, but they simply refuse to
help, just (as it looks) because I bought a used device.

They don't seem to be looking for customers.

Do you own a Kigamo yourself?

Best regards,
Martin
Old September 29th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 9/29/2007 1:27 AM Martin Schneider spake thus:

I bought a used Kigamo Scanback 6000 which I try to get to work with an
XP notebook through an Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI adapter.

Unfortunately the software doesn't recognize the camera.
Does anybody have the same device and can give me a hint?

I installed both the ASPI32-drivers that came with the software as well
as NERO ASPI for XP, to no avail.

Well, I have zero experience with this device, but in another lifetime I
used to do a lot of technical develpment (coding & support) of SCSI on
PCs, specifically with ASPI.

So, a question: when you plug the camera in and start the computer, do
you see the device come up at boot time in the list of devices displayed
by ASPI?

Have you tried using the ASPI BIOS utilities? These are accessed by
pressing mumble mumble at boot time (I forget which keys; there should
be a prompt somewhere saying something like "F3 for utilities" or
something like that). I seem to remember that you can do things like
low-level bus scans to see what's "talking" on the bus with them.
Old September 29th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 9/29/2007 1:27 AM Martin Schneider spake thus:

I bought a used Kigamo Scanback 6000 which I try to get to work with an
XP notebook through an Adaptec 1460B PCMCIA SCSI adapter.

Unfortunately the software doesn't recognize the camera.

Following up my own post, I should have pointed out that if the camera
really isn't being recognized by ASPI (in other words, the device
doesn't even show in the list of attached devices displayed at boot
time), then there's a problem with the camera. When it boots, ASPI does
standard SCSI "INQUIRY" commands to see who's on the bus. If the device
doesn't respond, it's the device's problem, not ASPI.
Old October 1st 07, 10:18 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

David Nebenzahl schrieb:
Well, I have zero experience with this device, but in another lifetime I
used to do a lot of technical develpment (coding & support) of SCSI on
PCs, specifically with ASPI.

Okay, that sounds good :-)

So, a question: when you plug the camera in and start the computer, do
you see the device come up at boot time in the list of devices displayed
by ASPI?

Have you tried using the ASPI BIOS utilities? These are accessed by
pressing mumble mumble at boot time (I forget which keys; there should
be a prompt somewhere saying something like "F3 for utilities" or
something like that). I seem to remember that you can do things like
low-level bus scans to see what's "talking" on the bus with them.

I didn't check that, because the notebook displays a welcome screen
covering DOS output during boot. I'll check and get back to you

Thanks for your ideas in the meantime.

Best regards,
Martin
Old October 1st 07, 10:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

David Nebenzahl schrieb:
Following up my own post, I should have pointed out that if the camera
really isn't being recognized by ASPI (in other words, the device
doesn't even show in the list of attached devices displayed at boot
time), then there's a problem with the camera. When it boots, ASPI does
standard SCSI "INQUIRY" commands to see who's on the bus. If the device
doesn't respond, it's the device's problem, not ASPI.

As windows can see the device and asks for a driver, I thought
everything was fine with the device itself. But I'll connect it to the
stationary PC (which worked fine before) and check if it still works there.

Best regards,
Martin
Old October 3rd 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

Martin Schneider schrieb:
So, a question: when you plug the camera in and start the computer, do
you see the device come up at boot time in the list of devices
displayed by ASPI?

Have you tried using the ASPI BIOS utilities? These are accessed by
pressing mumble mumble at boot time (I forget which keys; there
should be a prompt somewhere saying something like "F3 for utilities"
or something like that). I seem to remember that you can do things
like low-level bus scans to see what's "talking" on the bus with them.

Okay, I checked - neither does the card display a device list at boot
time, nor can I seem to enter a BIOS. Just messages from other devices
like the network card, but that's it.

I checked the manual
http://www.adaptec.com/de-DE/support...460_ug_pdf.htm
but that doesn't refer to any BIOS either, so this card doesn't seem to
have one.

Are there any tools that can do this once Windows 2000 is startet?

Best regards,
Martin
Old October 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
David Nebenzahl

On 10/3/2007 12:57 AM Martin Schneider spake thus:

Martin Schneider schrieb:
[...]

Here's an idea: can you boot from a floppy disk? (Which leads to the
question, does your computer even have a floppy drive?) If you can, then
you'll be booting under plain DOS and will be able to see the boot
messages (and presumably run the BIOS utilities). Adaptec SCSI adapters
used to all have BIOS support, but I don't know about yours for sure.

You'll need to create a boot disk to do this, of course; probably the
easiest way is to use the "Command prompt" (i.e., DOS window) to format
a floppy with the /s option to create a bootable "system" disk. Pain in
the butt, I know, but may be the best way to diagnose this problem.
Old October 3rd 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Martin Schneider

David Nebenzahl schrieb:
Here's an idea: can you boot from a floppy disk? (Which leads to the
question, does your computer even have a floppy drive?) If you can, then
you'll be booting under plain DOS and will be able to see the boot
messages (and presumably run the BIOS utilities).

No, the machine doesn't have it - but I know how to create a bootable
CD. I'll try and report...

Thanks
Martin