Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

Old November 1st 18, 09:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Even a CD/DVD with some bad areas will be readable in most other areas.

unless it's the directory, rendering the entire disc unreadable, but
regardless, *any* data loss is unacceptable, no matter how small.

Recovery s/w does fine with that - but I've *never* had to recover data
from a CD/DVD.

i've had more than a few discs fail.

murphy's law means the 'bad area' will contain the file you actually
want to access.

tl;dr discs are *not* archival.

That's why I refresh them every 5 - 6 years.

a very good idea, but they're still a hassle versus a nas.
Old November 1st 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 17:08:04 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Alan Browne
wrote:

Even a CD/DVD with some bad areas will be readable in most other areas.

unless it's the directory, rendering the entire disc unreadable, but
regardless, *any* data loss is unacceptable, no matter how small.

Recovery s/w does fine with that - but I've *never* had to recover data
from a CD/DVD.

i've had more than a few discs fail.

murphy's law means the 'bad area' will contain the file you actually
want to access.

tl;dr discs are *not* archival.

That's why I refresh them every 5 - 6 years.

a very good idea, but they're still a hassle versus a nas.

Serious question: how often would you expect to have to replace (i.e.
refresh) a NAS?

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 18, 10:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 16:19:00 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2018-10-29 18:47, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:00:10 -0400, Alan Browne

On 2018-10-28 17:13, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

I agree in general, but DC/DVD drives are something photographers might
use, aren't they?

The last time I used a CD/DVD for any sort of image file
sharing/archiving was over 15 years ago. The last time I used a Windows
machine was at work in February 2009, and then I retired.

You people have a weird belief in the reliability of cloud or solid state
memory.

either of those is *significantly* more reliable than a cd/dvd, which
are among the least reliable of any storage media.

No. I have tons. I re-write after 5 - 6 years, but I've kept some
"test" DVD's that are readable after over 10 years. Storage conditions
(cool, dry, dark) are essential. No parts to fail either. Readers are
cheap and will be available (even if used) for a very long time.

A cloud account could go poof and SSM could fail electronically.

Even a CD/DVD with some bad areas will be readable in most other areas.

Just consider yourself lucky that we have nospam around to tell us
what works for us shouldn't work.

He often has valid points.

I agree, as long as he doesn't start arguing.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 18, 10:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 08:07:03 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And I don't have a server.

you do if you're sharing files from one system to another. it's just
not a dedicated server.

That last is what I meant.

Things would be much easier if they were.

no.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 08:07:03 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Do you play chess? bridge? cricket? Do you drive a car on the roads?

You will find that each of those is a problem unless you know the
rules by which they work.

one does *not* need to know how to build or repair cars to drive one to
the store.

You do if the car is in bits or doesn't go.

no. either you call for service or find alternate means.

OK. You can also engage a knowledgable person to play chess, bridge or
cricket on your behalf. A hundred years ago people who didn't know how
to drive a car engaged a chauffer.

Eric Stevens
Old November 1st 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Serious question: how often would you expect to have to replace (i.e.
refresh) a NAS?

replace/refresh what? also, replace & refresh mean different things, so
what exactly are you asking?

keep in mind that a nas can be a computer with file sharing enabled
(along with whatever else) and one or more drives. it doesn't have to
be a nas box such as synology or qnap. there are advantages to each.
Old November 1st 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And I don't have a server.

you do if you're sharing files from one system to another. it's just
not a dedicated server.

That last is what I meant.

the difference is blurred and does not actually matter.
Old November 1st 18, 11:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Do you play chess? bridge? cricket? Do you drive a car on the roads?

You will find that each of those is a problem unless you know the
rules by which they work.

one does *not* need to know how to build or repair cars to drive one to
the store.

You do if the car is in bits or doesn't go.

no. either you call for service or find alternate means.

OK. You can also engage a knowledgable person to play chess, bridge or
cricket on your behalf.

given how well i play chess or cricket, that's what i would do

A hundred years ago people who didn't know how
to drive a car engaged a chauffer.

they do that now with uber, lyft, taxicabs, bike rentals, scooters,
public transportation (bus, subway & rail) and other options.

not that any of that has anything to do with file sharing.

the point is that file sharing between computers does not need anything
more than enabling it on at least one and then connecting from another.

some systems make it more complex than it needs to be, something you're
finding out.
Old November 2nd 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 10/28/2018 5:13 PM, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

I agree in general, but DC/DVD drives are something photographers might
use, aren't they?

The last time I used a CD/DVD for any sort of image file
sharing/archiving was over 15 years ago. The last time I used a Windows
machine was at work in February 2009, and then I retired.

You people have a weird belief in the reliability of cloud or solid state
memory.

either of those is *significantly* more reliable than a cd/dvd, which
are among the least reliable of any storage media.

You know what some of the most reliable storage has proven to be?
magnetic TAPE.

and also one of the most inconvenient.

We all know what a busy person you are.

--
PeterN
Old November 2nd 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 11/1/2018 7:06 PM, nospam wrote:

Snip

the point is that file sharing between computers does not need anything
more than enabling it on at least one and then connecting from another.

some systems make it more complex than it needs to be, something you're
finding out.

It took me about five minutes to set up file sharing between my Win7 and
Win 10 machines, over my home network. All I did was RTFM.

--
PeterN