The first good thing to happen to the world of images in years.

Old October 26th 11, 04:14 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Pete A

Default The first good thing to happen to the world of images in years.

On 2011-10-26 13:36:31 +0100, Martin Brown said:

On 26/10/2011 13:13, dadiOH wrote:
thanatoid wrote:
As some of you may know, I hate cell phones and smart phones,
and Steve Jobs, digital cameras, and everything else in this
stinking world.

Something I did NOT hate was the original Polaroid SX-70. The
camera was a work of GENIUS, and EVERY photo it took was a
masterpiece - I have never seen anything like it - you could
give it to blind person and the photos s/he took would be as
great as anything else. This was due to the film it used -
presumably, an adaptation of Polaroid's pro large-format
products.

But, of course, Polaroid decided we did not deserve to have such
beauty in our lives, and changed the film, ostensibly to
increase the ASA. Well, that it did, giving us more grain (OK,
that's basic), but also totally destroying the "softness" and
the incredibly beautiful colors the original film stock had.

Well, I have just seen something amazing - it may not be new to
many of you, but it is new to me.

There is a little app for the STUPID iPHONE which produces
basically what the original SX-70 did. I am BLOWN AWAY.

Random example::

http://phoofy.tumblr.com

and info:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://e...g/wiki/Instagr
am

I did not read that until just now, but it actually SAYS:

"Instagram, in an homage to both the Kodak Instamatic and
Polaroid cameras, confines photos into a square shape. This is
in contrast to the 3:2 aspect ratio normally used by the iOS
device cameras."

It even has an option to add a border similar to the one the
Polaroid prints had!

What do you think?

I think Polaroid was handy to check light levels and direction. Nothing
else.

It was very handy to ensure that if push came to shove you actually had
a photographic record of some unrepeatable event. You could even get
instant monochrome negative stock emulsion for the older cameras and
the resulting large negs were potentially quite serviceable in
extremis. It was a bit tetchy about being kept at the right temperature
for development in the field. I think the original Polaroid system was
more like 5x4 aspect ratio but my memory could be playing tricks here.

Heck, I made extensive use of B&W Polaroids to record the screens of
oscilloscopes, other instrument CRT displays, and laboratory
experiments. In those days work was great fun :-) I suppose getting
paid to produce those pictures qualifies me as a professional
photographer, ha ha.

[...]

Old October 26th 11, 08:31 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
§ñühwö£f

thanatoid wrote:
[...]

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry (adjustors) and
people recording illegal activities (their own).

nods

--
http://www.privacySOS.org | www.extinctioncrisis.org
www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.savewolves.org
Old October 26th 11, 09:27 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Pete A

On 2011-10-26 20:31:13 +0100, §ñühwö£f said:

Pete A wrote:
[...]
Heck, I made extensive use of B&W Polaroids to record the screens of
oscilloscopes, other instrument CRT displays, and laboratory
experiments. In those days work was great fun :-) I suppose getting
paid to produce those pictures qualifies me as a professional
photographer, ha ha.

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry (adjustors) and
people recording illegal activities (their own).

I'd forgotten about the former and was too engrossed in my work to
attempt the latter. They say it's never too late, but whoever "they"
are were wrong.

Old October 27th 11, 11:15 AM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
bugbear

§ñühwö£f wrote:

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry (adjustors)

Back in the late 1980's we had a polaroid camera
in our "Goods in" area, so that when a van opened
up and the rear was a shambles, or the packaging
on an item was beaten to hell, we had evidence.

In the (common...) case where the shipment was urgent,
this allowed us to "conditionally accept" the item,
but retain evidence about the shipping damage.

BugBear
Old October 27th 11, 03:52 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
§nühw¤£f

bugbear wrote:
§ñühwö£f wrote:

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry (adjustors)

Back in the late 1980's we had a polaroid camera
in our "Goods in" area, so that when a van opened
up and the rear was a shambles, or the packaging
on an item was beaten to hell, we had evidence.

In the (common...) case where the shipment was urgent,
this allowed us to "conditionally accept" the item,
but retain evidence about the shipping damage.

BugBear

yep...the "instant" polaroid was your "eye witness" back in the day.

--
http://www.skepticalscience.com/
www.friendsofanimals.org |www.snuhwolf.9f.com|
Old October 27th 11, 10:55 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
thanatoid

bugbear wrote in
:

§ñühwö£f wrote:

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry
(adjustors)

Back in the late 1980's we had a polaroid camera
in our "Goods in" area, so that when a van opened
up and the rear was a shambles, or the packaging
on an item was beaten to hell, we had evidence.

In the (common...) case where the shipment was urgent,
this allowed us to "conditionally accept" the item,
but retain evidence about the shipping damage.

BugBear

FWIW, I should mention that I consider almost all Polaroid
consumer products useful ONLY due to their instant/private
aspects.

OTOH, the SX-70 was a brilliant development and a tool embraced
not only by insurance adjusters, but by many artists. It does
not seem many people in these photography groups have much of a
concept of art.

--
"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at
it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named
Old October 28th 11, 06:03 AM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
§ñühwö£f

thanatoid wrote in
:

bugbear wrote in
:

§ñühwö£f wrote:

Polaroids were popular with the insurance industry
(adjustors)

Back in the late 1980's we had a polaroid camera
in our "Goods in" area, so that when a van opened
up and the rear was a shambles, or the packaging
on an item was beaten to hell, we had evidence.

In the (common...) case where the shipment was urgent,
this allowed us to "conditionally accept" the item,
but retain evidence about the shipping damage.

BugBear

FWIW, I should mention that I consider almost all Polaroid
consumer products useful ONLY due to their instant/private
aspects.

OTOH, the SX-70 was a brilliant development and a tool embraced
not only by insurance adjusters, but by many artists. It does
not seem many people in these photography groups have much of a
concept of art.

ok bub...I have both an art degree and experience with polaroid
instamatics of various size shape & model, unless you had some s00per
sekrit only available to you film stock to play with and a one-off
prototype camera...yer blowing smoke out yer arse. polaroid film was temp
sensitive and you could ruin a piccy by leaving it in the sun. digital is
WAY better than any polaroid.

--
http://www.skepticalscience.com/
http://stopbeck.com|www.snuhwolf.9f.com|www.eyeonpalin.org

Old October 28th 11, 11:44 AM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
thanatoid

"§ñühwö£f" wrote in
:

ok bub...I have both an art degree

So do I, bub - two of them.

and experience with polaroid instamatics of various size
shape & model

sizes, shapes, and models, so

unless you had some s00per sekrit only available to you
film stock to play with and a one-off prototype
camera...yer blowing smoke out yer arse.

No, but I have seen what real photographers can do with it.
(Although the SX-70 created a minor masterpiece no matter WHO
clicked the shutter, that's why I call it a magical camera.)

polaroid film was temp sensitive and you could ruin a piccy

Piccy? No, I am not picky, nor totally in pieces yet. I will
post with anyone. Or did you mean to type "picture" ?

by leaving it in the sun.

Oh, did you habitually do that? Pity. Read the instructions
next time. I put them in a paper envelope and in my pocket or
in the shade. Of course, if you liked abstract art, applying
various "physical treatments" to the film while it was
developing produced some great effects. Look up Lucas
Samaras, Mr. "I have an art degree".

http://www.google.com/search?q=lucas+samaras+polaroid

digital is WAY better than any polaroid.

(And, of course, MS Word is also MUCH better than an ink pen,
paper and glue, which was what "In Search of Lost Time" was
written with, all million and a half words of it? Sigh.)

I am not going to get into THAT whole discussion, and I am
not saying there is anything /really/ wrong with digital, I
just hate all the stupid buttons. I wonder what people who
could not program the clock on their VCR's do? (MY clock
always showed the correct time, BTW.)

Obviously you have never been anywhere near a professional
large-format Polaroid camera, and obviously your art degree
(what discipline is it in exactly, pray tell) did not make
you sensitive enough to delicate beauty of real art. That's
something you are born with or have to cultivate for longer
than it takes to get a degree, let alone at an average USA
institution of higher partying and hazing.

Or maybe you have never seen the ORIGINAL SX-70 photographs.
They changed that film stock PRETTY DARN FAST, the *******s.

Here's another link to educate you a little. READ it.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/6385

BTW, why are you posting from a German server now?

Old October 28th 11, 12:13 PM posted to alt.photography,uk.rec.photo.misc,rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk
thanatoid

bugbear wrote in
:

thanatoid wrote:

OTOH, the SX-70 was a brilliant development and a tool
embraced not only by insurance adjusters, but by many
artists. It does not seem many people in these photography
groups have much of a concept of art.

troll!

BugBear

People like you are SO depressing. Why don't you just go and
kill yourself and be done with it.

Before you do, visit:

http://www.pixelsaway.com/polaroid/