Calibartion of iMac 27" screen

Old November 28th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
dirk van lut

Default Calibartion of iMac 27" screen

Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

Anyone in this ng that can confirm this?

Dirk van Lut

Old November 28th 09, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , dirk van lut
wrote:

Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

it's not correct and that person has no clue.
Old November 28th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

nospam wrote:
In article , dirk van lut
wrote:

Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

it's not correct and that person has no clue.

Some of the 27" Imac have bugs with screen flickering. You may want to
google that and defer buying until they've got it sorted.
The more recent Imac 24s also have an issue with screen brightness not
being able to be set low enough for many users.
(I)Macs aren't "better" for photographers WRT screens. Even the cinema
displays are only average performers and not well featured for the price.
Old November 28th 09, 09:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
C J Campbell[_2_]

On 2009-11-28 11:04:15 -0800, "dirk van lut" said:

Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

Anyone in this ng that can confirm this?

Dirk van Lut

There is an issue with the X-Rite I1 calibration software and at least
some LED displays. It is an issue not only with the iMac, but with just
about any monitor with an LED display. According to a thread on the
Apple Discussions group, this was confirmed at an X-Rite training
session about six weeks ago.

However, the monitor can be calibrated, although it does not have as
wide a brightness range as an LCD monitor. One person on the discussion
group reported that a program called Shades will reduce the brightness
of the monitor enough to make it work with your eye-1 software.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....42163&tstart=0

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

Old November 28th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Chris H

In message , dirk van lut
writes
Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

The computer is a better system for photographers (this is partly a self
fore filling prophecy... many photographers use them that the best photo
Sw is available for them) however the top photographers and graphics
people don't use MAC monitors where colour definition is important.
They use different hi quality monitors.

The iMACs that have a built in screen are the exception to this. I use
a G5 with non Apple monitors. Though they are not the high end makes
used by the top pro's

Old November 28th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

On 2009-11-28 11:04:15 -0800, "dirk van lut"
said:

[...]

"LED" displays /are/ LCD displays.
Most just use "white" LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent tubes for
backlighting.

Premium "pro" LED backlit displays for graphic use R,G,and B LEDs, with
the possibility to adjust each backlight colour channel level. RGB gain
level setting on normal (including white LED backlit panels) is
compromised by non-linear response of the LCD "pixels" to signal
voltage, and colour cast of the white backlight. Some can still be very
good, and RGB LED backlit graphic displays are still very expensive.

There's no real advantage to white LEDs over CCFL, in spectrum of
"white" light, in consistency of colour over time, in life expectancy,
and very little advantage in power saving. There may be some advantage
in warm up time. Main advantage is that they allow thin monitors.

"Shades" and similar programs are a stop-gap measure, compressing the
256 levels per channel to less is reducing colour/dynamic range and
probably increasing chance of posterisation/banding.

If Apple has borked the 27" Imac as badly or worse than the later silver
coloured 24" Imacs, as indicated in the link to the thread you post,
then for use for photography, I strongly suggest that the OP avoids that
model.

~200 cd/m2 minimum white level is too high for print-matching. That was
about the minimum level users reported with the iMac 24".

Someone at Apple needs a good poke in the eye for trading on their past
probably deserved reputation for quality for graphics use, to turn out
crippled dross for the mass-market. Reviews for iMacs should be viewed
with a skeptical eye, there's a lot of fanboyism out there.
Old November 28th 09, 10:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

dirk van lut wrote:
Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my rather old
PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did ask how
to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the way the
screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

I calibrated my 24" iMac (LED backlit) screen using a Spyder. However,
having previously calibrated using the Apple method, the difference
between out-of-the-box-factory, manual and Spyder calibration was for
all intents too slim to really matter. Room lighting and the colour of
my shirt probably have more effect on the image than the deltas.

Where did you get that answer? From a person or a manual?

The reality is that the video card drives the screen according to chosen
profiles. That is what is changed in calibration, in effect, so yes,
the screen can indeed be calibrated to your needs. (the screen itself
may be unaffected, but it has no knowledge about what is being thrown at
it).

I do hope you're driving it DVI, IAC.

Old November 28th 09, 10:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Alan Browne

Me wrote:
nospam wrote:
In article , dirk van lut
wrote:

Was looking today at an Apple iMac with 27" screen to replace my
rather old PC-Windows PX system.

After getting a 1 hour very interesting explanation and demo I did
ask how to calibarte the screen.
I was really astonished by the anwer: "it is not possible due to the
way the screen is build, not even with e.g I-1 sysytem"
If this is correct, how can Apple claim to be better computer for
photographers?

it's not correct and that person has no clue.

Some of the 27" Imac have bugs with screen flickering. You may want to
google that and defer buying until they've got it sorted.
The more recent Imac 24s also have an issue with screen brightness not
being able to be set low enough for many users.
(I)Macs aren't "better" for photographers WRT screens. Even the cinema
displays are only average performers and not well featured for the price.

iMac displays are certainly better than most screens sold with PC's. Way.
Old November 28th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Me
wrote:

(I)Macs aren't "better" for photographers WRT screens. Even the cinema
displays are only average performers and not well featured for the price.

they're actually very good displays.
Old November 28th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
nospam

In article , Me
wrote:

There's no real advantage to white LEDs over CCFL, in spectrum of
"white" light, in consistency of colour over time, in life expectancy,
and very little advantage in power saving. There may be some advantage
in warm up time. Main advantage is that they allow thin monitors.

there definitely is an advantage. led backlighting is brighter, lasts
longer, doesn't fade and is better for the environment.

"Shades" and similar programs are a stop-gap measure, compressing the
256 levels per channel to less is reducing colour/dynamic range and
probably increasing chance of posterisation/banding.

shades is a hack, and one that's not needed.

If Apple has borked the 27" Imac as badly or worse than the later silver
coloured 24" Imacs, as indicated in the link to the thread you post,
then for use for photography, I strongly suggest that the OP avoids that
model.

that's bad advice. the lcd panel in the 27" imac is very, very good.

~200 cd/m2 minimum white level is too high for print-matching. That was
about the minimum level users reported with the iMac 24".

it's not that big of a deal.

Someone at Apple needs a good poke in the eye for trading on their past
probably deserved reputation for quality for graphics use, to turn out
crippled dross for the mass-market. Reviews for iMacs should be viewed
with a skeptical eye, there's a lot of fanboyism out there.

and anti-fanboism as well.