Why no discussion about Pentax cameras?

Old February 27th 05, 02:01 AM
Stacey

MarkČ wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
What I'm trying to say is most people who use non-canon products discuss
them elsewhere because of the =militant= canon users on this group. There
are only a handful but they are so abusive, it's worthless trying to
discuss anything non-canon here.

A quick scan of current thread subject lines:

-Nikon SLR
-Nikon D2X Review

Yea, read those two threads, a bunch of canon users bashing a camera they
have never seen.

Or.

D2X: Noise box

Yea, that is discussing this camera in an unbiased way. What are these
people afraid of? That some pro's might use something other than what they
own?

--

Stacey

Old February 27th 05, 02:21 AM
Stewy

"Jack Dotson" wrote:

I've been reading this group for awhile trying to make up my mind. I almost
went for the Canon A-95 a couple of weeks ago, but decided to be patient.
The one thing I've noticed is there a very few post about the Pentax
camera's. These were some very good traditional camera's and some thought
them better than Canon. Do they not make a good digital?

Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ You'll see Pentax only makes one
DSLR and that's pretty new. I think Pentax got into digital rather late
and are paying the price by being sidelined by Nikon and canon
Old February 27th 05, 02:40 AM
MarkČ

"Stacey" wrote in message ...
MarkČ wrote:

"Stacey" wrote in message
What I'm trying to say is most people who use non-canon products discuss
them elsewhere because of the =militant= canon users on this group. There
are only a handful but they are so abusive, it's worthless trying to
discuss anything non-canon here.

A quick scan of current thread subject lines:

-Nikon SLR
-Nikon D2X Review

Yea, read those two threads, a bunch of canon users bashing a camera they
have never seen.

Or.

D2X: Noise box

Yea, that is discussing this camera in an unbiased way. What are these
people afraid of? That some pro's might use something other than what they
own?

If you're looking for a forum that is bias free, then you are chasing rainbows.
We all have bias.
So do you.
Right now your bias is against people on this forum, and their supposed inability to
discuss in a meaningful way.
Up to this point, I have seen little from you other than to harp on everyone here.
I have often pointed out impressive aspects of Nikon.
In fact, I posted one of the very first links to the Nikon D2... with very favorable
comments.

We can all convince ourselves that the world is against us, but I wouldn't advise making a
habit of it. This is a forum for discussing equipment. It is reasonable to expect people
will have strong opinions about certain aspects. All in all, I'd say there are a good
number of people here that are interested in making images that please them. Their quest
to do this takes them through the maze of epuipment choices and variables. On the way,
they/we/you are sure to form some opinions about different manufacturers. This is natural
and neither good nor bad.

There are some who blindly declare one superior to the other, but I can assure you that
this happens from the standpoint of MANY brands. -Not just Canon.

Old February 27th 05, 02:45 AM
MarkČ

"Stacey" wrote in message ...
Jack Dotson wrote:

I've been reading this group for awhile trying to make up my mind. I
almost went for the Canon A-95 a couple of weeks ago, but decided to be
patient. The one thing I've noticed is there a very few post about the
Pentax
camera's. These were some very good traditional camera's and some thought
them better than Canon. Do they not make a good digital?

Of course pentax is JUNK! Anything that's -not- made by Canon is junk, don't
you know that by now?

This newsgroup is ONLY for posts that praise canon products or bash other
makers products. If you want to talk about anything else, you need to find
another group. You might be able to mention something else as being "fairly
OK" if it's a P&S, but don't get too brazen and try to even insinuate it
could start to compare to a Canon product.

What I'm trying to say is most people who use non-canon products discuss
them elsewhere because of the =militant= canon users on this group. There
are only a handful but they are so abusive, it's worthless trying to
discuss anything non-canon here. These people have never used anything but
Canon products but somehow know nothing can even compare to the greatness
of what they choose to buy. Shame really that this is how this group has
developed, but that's why you never see any pentax info here.

One more comment to Stacey's whining:

There is one very simple aspect of why Canon is discused so much here, and it is this:

Canon has been releasing FAR more cameras than Nikon, Pentax, Konica/Minolta, Kodak, HP,
Casio, Panasonic, Leica (hee hee) and others of late.

Check the release history on www.dpreview.com if you haven't noticed this.
Just the fact that Canon continues to release so many new models is bound to generate
discussion.

Old February 27th 05, 03:49 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message

Up to this point, I have seen little from you other than to harp on

everyone here.

Quite true. He is upset that the world doesn't see things the same way he
does, and rather than try to convince others of the merits of his views, he
bashes everyone that makes meaningful contributions, if those people don't
share his views.

We can all convince ourselves that the world is against us, but I wouldn't

advise making a
habit of it.

Well-stated.

Old February 27th 05, 04:49 AM
Darrell

"Stewy" wrote in message
"Jack Dotson" wrote:

I've been reading this group for awhile trying to make up my mind. I

almost
went for the Canon A-95 a couple of weeks ago, but decided to be

patient.
The one thing I've noticed is there a very few post about the Pentax
camera's. These were some very good traditional camera's and some

thought
them better than Canon. Do they not make a good digital?

Take a look at http://www.dpreview.com/ You'll see Pentax only makes one
DSLR and that's pretty new. I think Pentax got into digital rather late
and are paying the price by being sidelined by Nikon and canon

Hmmm, 2000 Pentax showed the MR-52 aka MZ-D at PhotoKina. Was a 6 megapixel
24x36 Phillips Chip (aka Dalsa) dSLR. 2003 Pentax *istD current, 2005 *istDS
current that's 2 current dSLR. The *istD will probably be discontinued FY
2005 and a replacement announced. Look more closely at dpreview, and you'll
see http://www.dpreview.com/articles/pentaxistds which compares them side
by side.

The Pentax * ist D is bigger than the Canon Rebel XT, and the Pentax *ist DS
is smaller and lighter than the Canon Rebel XT.

Old February 27th 05, 04:58 AM
Woodchuck Bill

Stacey wrote in
:

Jack Dotson wrote:

[...]

worthless trying to discuss anything non-canon here. These people
have never used anything but Canon products but somehow know
nothing can even compare to the greatness of what they choose to
buy. Shame really that this is how this group has developed, but
that's why you never see any pentax info here.

Poppycock. There are plenty of Nikon owners here too, as well as owners
of all brands IN PROPORTION TO SALES VOLUME OF THOSE BRANDS. Canon has
more models of digicams than any other manufacturer, so it makes sense
that they will get mentioned the most.

--

Bill