5060 Mode Dial Problem?

Old September 17th 04, 07:34 PM
Ron G

Default 5060 Mode Dial Problem?

Some reviews in Amazon and new pages in a couple of 5060 groups are
pointing to failures of the Oly 5060's mode dial after a few weeks.
There seems to be some lack of clarity about whether this problem was in
early production runs, in cameras distributed primarily in Europe or
gray market channels, etc. One writer reports an Oly rep as saying it
was mainly in cameras with the last four numbers of the serial number
beginning with '1'. I have a new 5060, with those numbers beginning with
a '6' but, of course, don't want to look forward to it crapping out in
the middle of a long trip, etc., even if Oly will repair it.

Does anyone have any experience or good knowledge of this situation?
Anyone have a 5060 that has survived for over a year or so of heavy use?

Thanks.

Old September 17th 04, 08:38 PM
Grim

"Ron G" wrote
Some reviews in Amazon and new pages in a couple of 5060 groups are
pointing to failures of the Oly 5060's mode dial after a few weeks.
There seems to be some lack of clarity about whether this problem was in
early production runs, in cameras distributed primarily in Europe or
gray market channels, etc. One writer reports an Oly rep as saying it
was mainly in cameras with the last four numbers of the serial number
beginning with '1'. I have a new 5060, with those numbers beginning with
a '6' but, of course, don't want to look forward to it crapping out in
the middle of a long trip, etc., even if Oly will repair it.

So let me get this straight: you've got a camera that's working fine and has
no problems. You're worried about potential problems, but again, your serial
number indicates there's no problem with your camera. Yet, you're still
worried about it?!? Jeez, buy a backup camera if you're going to be so
paranoid... and a backup to the backup, and another backup to the backup to
the backup....

Old September 17th 04, 09:27 PM
Ron G

Hey buddy, gimmee a break. I purchased a camera which I am learning may
have problems because many users are reporting them. It is not clear (I
did use the word 'clarity') whether the Oly rep or some of the other
info being passed around is correct and so I am trying to get feedback
from anyone who either knows more about this issue than me or has had
practical experience. And kindly keep the cheap psychology to yourself.
Of course I can carry a backup, and I have many. I would prefer not to
do that in many circumstance, particularly having spent a lot of good
money on what is supposedly one of the best digicams made. I would also
prefer that if people in this group get a life if they can't offer some
informed feedback.

"Ron G" wrote

Old September 18th 04, 01:03 PM
Grim

Just trying to give you a free clue: if it's not broken, it's not broken.
You seem to be inventing every excuse possible to believe in a fantasy where
it *is* broken. If you really want a broken camera, take a hammer and smash
it. Perhaps that will calm your worries.

P.S. How's your kidney? Have you been the doctor about those headaches?
Could be a tumor?!? Better have a doctor check it out, just in case. Oh, and
don't believe the X-rays if they come back negative.

"Ron G" wrote
Hey buddy, gimmee a break. I purchased a camera which I am learning may
have problems because many users are reporting them. It is not clear (I
did use the word 'clarity') whether the Oly rep or some of the other
info being passed around is correct and so I am trying to get feedback
from anyone who either knows more about this issue than me or has had
practical experience. And kindly keep the cheap psychology to yourself.
Of course I can carry a backup, and I have many. I would prefer not to
do that in many circumstance, particularly having spent a lot of good
money on what is supposedly one of the best digicams made. I would also
prefer that if people in this group get a life if they can't offer some
informed feedback.

"Ron G" wrote

Old September 19th 04, 03:54 PM
Ron G

Before I add you to my kill filter, and for the benefit of any other
5060 user reading this, here is a page dedicated to the subject which is
brand new and which I found after my original posting. Now go get a life.

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/c5050/c5060-dial.html

Grim wrote:

[...]

"Ron G" wrote

Old September 19th 04, 10:22 PM
Grim

Pssst! They're coming for you! Run! Run!!

"Ron G" wrote

Grim wrote:

[...]

"Ron G" wrote