Why always Nikon and Canon? What's wrong with Panasonic?

Old August 27th 04, 03:49 PM
Charlie Self

ABC ABC asks:

Rough guess: it is plenty far off if you want a real SLR. A good camera
otherwise, it does not, and cannot, do what an SLR does for many of us.

What about the prosumer grade and amatuers' fun camera?

Even for the SLR, we also have Kodak, fuji , Sigma.

Yeah, but the two main pro systems for many years have been Canon & Nikon. The
competition has always, or nearly always, been between those two. I used
Olympus and Minolta (manual focus for both) until recently for all my work, but
I originally started with a Canon F1 back around, IIRC, '70 or '71. Lost that
in an uninsured fire, so went to Olympus. Anyway, there will be more DSLRs come
October...Olympus is already out there, and will have another, I'd guess, as
will Pentax, while Minolta may also get its tootsies wet. But I'll guess that
once it all settles down, the arguments about which are best will still be
mostly based on Canon vs. Nikon. More of them out there, for one thing.

If people who use "prosumer" (what a ****ty word) cameras and 'stop and pop'
cameras want representation on here, I think they'd better get to it. Post. I
doubt much of the point and shoot crowd will, though. Too likely to get buried
in the technical detail, which is more likely bore you to death instead of
teaching you anything really valuable if all you know about your camera is
where the on switch is, and what kind of batteries it takes.

Charlie Self
"A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Old August 27th 04, 06:58 PM
John Doe

Besides what was said I think most people looking to invest in a high-ish
end digital camera want to stick with a company that has a long history of
building cameras. That is companies like Nikon and Canon and even Olympus
(even though they seem to be falling behind). Panasonic on the other hand is
a recent entry in to cameras at least when compared to others.

This is just a guess and it is based on how I feel about it as well.

John

"ABC" wrote in message
I roughly counted the topic of the threads in the NG. I would say
about 95% goes to Nikon and Canon.

Just for example, I have been looking at Panasonic. It is not that far
off in terms of performance and price. A few other brands seem not bad
too.

Why is this? Any clue?

ABC
Do not reply by email.

Old August 27th 04, 06:58 PM
Roland Karlsson

ABC wrote in news:ljaui0p2bpvkv2mbbtap3jmnu0st9vvs8r@
4ax.com:

I roughly counted the topic of the threads in the NG. I would say
about 95% goes to Nikon and Canon.

Just for example, I have been looking at Panasonic. It is not that far
off in terms of performance and price. A few other brands seem not bad
too.

Why is this? Any clue?

Most talk here is about DSLR. Panasonic has none.

I would guess that Nikon and Canon has a very large
percentage of the sales.

You forgot Sigma - lots of talk about Sigma here.

You could ask why so few Pentax and Fuji. Maybe by
far too few users?

If you caount the posters her - it is not so many
regular posters really. So - maybe it is just a
matter of probability.

Then - there is also a critical mass. You cannot talk
about Panasonic alone, even if you are some few not
everyone will respond. Cameras with more users tend to
create more replies. So - the more popular cameras
will stay and the others go elsewhere - to some
Panasonic web forum maybe?

Here is one
Looks to be quite frequent - 92 posts during the last hour.

/Roland

Old August 27th 04, 08:03 PM
Big Bill

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:30:37 GMT, "Justin Thyme"
wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Maybe I should complain. My Pentax *istD gets very little attention
either,
even though it is an SLR.

Maybe it is because Canon and Nikon owners have to keep reassuring
themselves that they did make the right decision, hence they have to keep
saying how much better they are than the other. So while all the Canon &
Nikon owners are arguing between each other like a couple of schoolkids
arguing who has the toughest dad, pentax/minolta/olympus/etc owners can
quietly go about our business of taking photographs.

Yes, I'm sure that's it.

Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"