NOISE

Old February 17th 05, 09:45 PM

In message ,
paul wrote:

Am I understanding this wrong? A fast lens should shoot at a faster
speed at the same f-stop as a slow lens as I understand. It's not just
that it's capable of going to a lower f-stop number. Please clarify if
I'm mistaken.

The term "fast lens", as I understand it, derives from the fact that all
other things being equal, a lens with a larger aperture (lower f-stop)
will allow a faster shutter speed, but only at that aperture.
--

John P Sheehy

Old February 17th 05, 09:55 PM

In message ,
Owamanga wrote:

Noise is purely a factor of ISO & shutter duration,

Technically, this is true, but a lower f-stop may increase the
signal-to-noise ratio, and a larger one may increase it, at any given
ISO and shutter speed.
--

John P Sheehy

Old February 18th 05, 05:55 AM
Stacey

paul wrote:

Stacey wrote:

You should be able to do this with a slow lens as well unless it is a
poor quality one. F8 is F8 no matter if the lens is a F5.6 max lens or a
f2.8 max lens.

Am I understanding this wrong?

Yes you are!

A fast lens should shoot at a faster
speed at the same f-stop

Nope, same f stop need the same shutter speed no matter what lens is being
used.. Doesn't matter what lens or format. F8 at 1/60 is the same on a tiny
sensor digicam or an 8X10 film camera.

as a slow lens as I understand. It's not just
that it's capable of going to a lower f-stop number.

That's ALL the difference, to get the faster shutter speed, you have to use
the larger lens opening.

--

Stacey
Old February 18th 05, 04:39 PM
paul

Confused wrote:
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 08:23:23 -0800
In message
paul wrote:

snip

I do have patience to sort through a billion pics
later though.

That sounds awful!

Indeed.

I'm usually doing documentation, not strictly looking for art photos so
yes I want a lot of pictures. Obviously I don't want to sort a lot of
rejects.

Well, we all have our personalities. For me spending time in the field
fiddling with a tripod would drive me nuts, once I settle down on the
computer in the evening, I have no problem with patience.

Try a compromise, and don't settle for a cheaper smaller head, or a
non-rotating lock monopod. Find and try a Gitzo mono pod with a
NOVOFLEX CLASSICBALL 5 BallHead.

Wow, that alone is $500. I'd rather pay for an Image Stabilized lens.

It will serve as an "almost" tripod,
won't slow you down, can be used without touching the ground (it acts
like a stabilizer)

Hmm, that makes sense, just the weight & bulk would stabilize things
considerably hand held.

and will actually save you time composing shots.
If you find a better, smoother, easier to use and more functional ball
head let me know... and do NOT settle for a small jerky light weight
head.

(there are a couple other heads in this class, but it's the only one I
could get my hands on. gonna get one for my gitzo explorer tripod,
too, so I can keep them tightly and permanently mounted. don't forget
quality quick releases and spare camera/lens side adaptors. ;^)

Jeff

Old February 18th 05, 05:00 PM
paul

Stacey wrote:

paul wrote:

Stacey wrote:

You should be able to do this with a slow lens as well unless it is a
poor quality one. F8 is F8 no matter if the lens is a F5.6 max lens or a
f2.8 max lens.

Am I understanding this wrong?

Yes you are!

Better late than never. I had photography 101 in college 20 years ago
grin.

A fast lens should shoot at a faster
speed at the same f-stop

Nope, same f stop need the same shutter speed no matter what lens is being
used.. Doesn't matter what lens or format. F8 at 1/60 is the same on a tiny
sensor digicam or an 8X10 film camera.

as a slow lens as I understand. It's not just
that it's capable of going to a lower f-stop number.

That's ALL the difference, to get the faster shutter speed, you have to use
the larger lens opening.

Hmm, so any lens at f/8 will need the same shutter speed under the same
lighting conditions. A 'Fast' would necessarily have to be wider, larger
I guess, and probably longer?

http://www.armguard.com/security%20terms%20glossary.htm
" A term used to describe the speed of a lens, or its ability to pass
light through its lensing and onto the imager. It is determined by
dividing the focal length of the lens by the diameter."
Old February 19th 05, 05:21 AM
Stacey

paul wrote:

Stacey wrote:

That's ALL the difference, to get the faster shutter speed, you have to
use the larger lens opening.

Hmm, so any lens at f/8 will need the same shutter speed under the same
lighting conditions.

Exactly.

A 'Fast' would necessarily have to be wider, larger
I guess, and probably longer?

"Fast" means it opens up to a larger F stop opening in the diaphram. This
normally requires larger lens elements to acomplish and is optically more
difficult to maintain quality. That's why they cost $$$$

--

Stacey