20D Firmware update lens removal

Old December 20th 04, 05:27 AM
John McWilliams

ZONED! wrote:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:14:31 -0500, "Don Dunlap"
wrote:

"John Doe" wrote in message
.. .

No I am not talking about missing (spot meter mode with the 20D) or weak
(a feature that doesn't allow for much say in how it works). I am talking
about a feature or the camera in general with bugs. For example the 20D
causes error messages with certain lenses including Canon brands. The 20D
locks up and you have to pull the battery to get it work again. The 20D
has banding problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not
missing or weak features.

It is like having a car that dies while going down the road, or one that
has turn signals that only work on Friday and every Thursday after a blue
moon. That type of thing.

Feature wise the 20D is fine, it is the current bugs that Canon keeps
saying they have fixed with a firmware update and haven't fixed that is
the problem. That and the fact that the 1.02 to 1.04 firmware killed my
camera which makes it very hard to ever do your own firmware upgrade again
and having to send it to Canon loosing it for a few weeks each time to
have them do it in the hopes that finally they will get the bugs fixed is
the problem.

John

If your 20D has all those problems, you should send it in to be repaired.
Mine has none of the problems that you mention. So far, after only about
1700 shots, I have had zero problems. Other than the fact that I am a lousy
photographer, that is. It doesn't pick those perfect shots and I can't seem
to compose them. Out of the 1700, I am truly impressed with maybe 25-30 -

from a composition point of view, that is.

Don Dunlap

It is apparent that your composition chip is bad. Don't bother looking
for any firmware updatse as Canon does not even recognise the problem
yet. I had similar problems with an older film camera (not restricted
only to digital) However, I find mine just faded away after time.

N.B. See thread on PS plugins to fix, as this can now all be done in
"post production" with the right plugins. No skills required!

--
John McWilliams
Old December 20th 04, 06:05 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:28:15 -0000, "Si"
wrote:

"Big Bill" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 19:58:47 GMT, "John Doe"
wrote:

The 20D has banding
problems with certain types of images. These are bugs, not missing or weak
features.

Such banding issues have been a problem since the D30.

Numerous other problems with my D30 have made me reluctant to buy a D60, 10D
or 20D (especially when the biggest bugbear - the banding - has been widely
reported at dpreview.com).

Si.

Actually, I didn't write that.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Old December 20th 04, 08:00 PM
John Doe

It has already been in for repair, the simply updated the firmware from 1.02
to 1.05.

John

"Don Dunlap" wrote in message
news:415b4$41c5e11d$45234308$23719@allthenewsgroup s.com...

Old December 20th 04, 08:01 PM
John Doe

I don't agree. I suspect most people with the 20D either haven't run in to
the problem yet or are simply in denial.

John

wrote:

[...]

And yet there ar emany (in fact, most) 20D owners who don't have those
problems at all.
This makes the problems not generic to the model, but individual
problems with specific samples.

I'm sorry you had these problems. I really am. I wish I could buy a
20D and have the opportunity to have the same problems! ;-)
But I realize we live in an imperfect world, and that problems happen.
I also realize that the owners of a company like Canon simply will not
let engineering hold a product back until it meets all of their
criteria; if they did, very few new products would come onto the
market.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"