No Subject

Old January 4th 06, 01:00 AM

Default No Subject

From: jimnjen not home NOSPAM yahoo
Subject: Amateur 10X Macro lens evaluation
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:51:04 -0600

"Eugene Wendland" wrote:
Hi

Santa brought me a new Canon Rebel XT, with the standard 18-55, 17-85 IS and
70-300 IS lenses. I know that I'd be needing some form of Macro lens for
close-up photography. While on ebay, I found a set of Macro lenses that
screw in the front of the 18-55 (58mm) lens. There are many of these sets
available for around $25. The set included a 10, 4, 2 and 1 times Macro.
For the price, I thought I'd give these a try.

I took a few shots and have them posted on the following site for those that
might be interested. All my shots were with the standard 18-55 lens on AE
and AF. No flaming my picture composition please - I was just trying these
out. For me, these will do just fine for now. I suppose, as I develop (no
pun intended) and expand my photography skills, a dedicated Macro may be
needed, but for an amateur like me that'll need the occasional close-up, I
highly recommend this alternative versus a $500 dedicated Macro lens.

Ok, I won't flame the composition but will make a comment.. too many
border mergers to win a contest.
As with all closeup dipoters, the DOF is shallow and the edges at any
focal range are soft. Yes, they can work very well for 3D subjects where
edge focus is not important. Otherwise, invest the money in a 100mm or
better fixed length macro lens. Avoid Macro zooms.
View comparison photo's at:
http://imageevent.com/canflyboy/macro

When you "click" onto each thumbnail, you'll be taken to an x-large picture
of the thumbnail. From there you may change the size of the viewed photo
via the sizes shown on the bottom. There's also an option for "original"
where you'll really be able to see the everything.

Eugene

--
Jim

Flash Photography, how to get the best out of it? Ken Digital Photography 12 January 1st 06 05:59 AM
No Subject Digital SLR Cameras 0 November 20th 05 01:00 AM
What is the Shadow area of a Subject ? Denny B 35mm Photo Equipment 3 May 5th 05 09:54 PM
[SI] There is no god after all... Al Denelsbeck 35mm Photo Equipment 14 October 11th 04 04:51 AM