"Raw" file issues?

Old May 28th 05, 05:44 PM
Barry Pearson

McLeod wrote:
[snip]
What I would like to see is more open source image editing systems.

So would I. I am especially interested in John Francis' "Raw-to-DNG
converter" SourceForge project, which will remove the one case where we
are currently dependent on a single supplier. I am looking forward to
there being a Converter that isn't constrained by Adobe's legal issues.

Adobe Systems is making me very nervous with their attempt to
commoditze digital imagery. Once they have got us all using their
image processing system what is to stop them from hitting us at every
turn for more money. (Like CS2 and ACR 3.1).

[snip]

Photoshop (and other photo-editors) have been tending to commoditise
digital imagery since TIFF 6.0! It is nothing new. Everything that can
deliver a TIFF 6.0 file into Photoshop is having to compete with
everything else that can do it. But it can argued that, by outputting
in TIFF 6.0 format, the camera manufacturers have been tending to
commoditise photo-editors that accept TIFF 6.0 files, by forcing them
to compete with one another. It isn't just a one-sided activity!

Now Adobe Camera Raw (and other Raw processors) are tending to
commoditise products that output in Raw format. The latter are all
having to compete with one another. And, conversely, the camera
manufacturers are tending to commoditise Raw processors, of course.

But what Adobe are doing with DNG is very different from "Photoshop
versus camera manufacturers". Adobe are trying to open up the whole
industry and marketplace of Raw shooting and processing. Paradoxically,
opening up an industry starts to remove the "dominant supplier" bias.
If/when DNG becomes ubiquitous, people will be able to choose their Raw
processors and asset management systems purely on merit. And they will
also be able to choose their cameras purely on merit, instead of having
to be guided by the fact that the main camera manufacturers tend to own
the better software, and are better supported by Raw processors and
asset management systems.

In what way are Adobe "hitting us at every turn for more money. (Like
CS2 and ACR 3.1)"? If you don't want to upgrade, don't! Why will you
ever need to pay Adobe any more money? As shown here, if you buy a
camera that CS and ACR 2.4 doesn't support, use the free DNG Converter
to convert that camera's Raw files to DNG, and you will be able to
stick with CS and ACR 2.4. That route *really* does work! I've tried
it, and so have many others.

If/when DNG becomes ubiquitous, we will all be able to build our
digital photography system by choosing individual components, such as
cameras, Raw processors, photo-editors, etc, on their merits. We will
be able to do mix-n-match. Perhaps we will sometimes have alternatives
to use for different purposes. This is the sort of future for top-end
digital photography that all photographers, and users of photographs,
should be hoping for.

What will Adobe get out of all this? Simple! The more freedom people
have to choose, the more likely it is that a large proportion of them
will buy Adobe products. Because they are the highest value digital
imaging products around. THAT is why people will buy Photoshop; choice,
not force.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/