Adobe moves the rental/service economy onward

Old October 19th 17, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Noons

Default Adobe moves the rental/service economy onward

On 19/10/2017 1:23 @wiz, Rich A wrote:
https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/543...cription-model

I wonder, if in the future, you'll need to purchase a monthly subscription to run your camera body and will they cease to working if you try to sell them? Trade-ins only?

Why on earth aren't folks dropping the "cloud" products of this abortion
of a company will always be a mystery to me.

I never used any of their products other than Elements and even that
only for a couple of months.

Corel's Paintshop 2018 and Aftershot 3 are so much better value
products, there is simply no comparison. And yes, they accept all the
'shop plug-ins!
Old October 19th 17, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Noons" wrote

| Why on earth aren't folks dropping the "cloud" products of this abortion
| of a company will always be a mystery to me.
|
| I never used any of their products other than Elements and even that
| only for a couple of months.
|
| Corel's Paintshop 2018 and Aftershot 3 are so much better value
| products, there is simply no comparison. And yes, they accept all the
| 'shop plug-ins!

I once bought Elements only for the plugins.
It used to be that was the basic difference between
PS and PSP. One of them cost 5 times as much and
had more plugins. But then I realized I rarely used
the plugins. The idea is appealing, but I only wanted
3-D buttons or spotlight effects occasionally, and
mostly only on Web graphics.

Photoshop and other Adobe products are like MS
Office. They're used by professionals because they're the
standard and most of those people don't know anything
about software. They just want the official toolbox that
all their friends and competitors have. In fact, most of
those people don't really even know what software
they're using. They probably have only vague knowledge
that they're using Windows or Mac. What version? "There
are versions? I don't know. It says 'welcome to Windows'.
What version is that?"

(We currently have friends visiting and the wife wanted
to use a computer. She came back and complained that
the browser is stuck on Wikipedia. After a moment's thought
I realized this woman has no idea what a search engine
is, or even a URL. She expects to just scan the screen
for a text input box and enter her search. Any more effort
than that is unreasonable. As it happened, the default
search engine, which I never use, was set to Wikipedia.
She didn't want to know how she could choose a search
engine, or even go to a website. She just wants it "to work".)

And why should people care? If they use the software
for work the price gouging is still relatively cheap the
use they get from it. They overpay by hundreds of dollars,
but then they're outfitted for a couple of years with the
latest standard in their business. They can talk shop
with anyone and will never need to understand anything
about software. All they need to be experts is to memorize
keyboard shortcuts to menu options.

That software becomes standard through careful
efforts over many years. One of the most effective methods
is to support schools and students. Get them early so
that they don't even imagine the possibility of options.

So then when the amateurs want software they ask
the "experts": The realtor who uses MS Office or the
architect who uses Photoshop. They never know what
hit 'em. Most of the people here are good examples.
They don't explore different options. They just bought
what the experts use and claim it's the best. Many
probably took a class in Photoshop. Not "graphic
editing" or "process your photos" but "learn to use
Photoshop". That's the class offered in my own local
adult ed courses. Students have to buy PS to take
the class! (And of course, the teacher won't know
PSP, will have never heard of GIMP, and probably
doesn't understand that PS's default file format is
not a standard image format. For them, and thus
for the students, graphic editing *is* Photoshop.)

Old October 19th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

So then when the amateurs want software they ask
the "experts": The realtor who uses MS Office or the
architect who uses Photoshop. They never know what
hit 'em. Most of the people here are good examples.
They don't explore different options. They just bought
what the experts use and claim it's the best. Many
probably took a class in Photoshop. Not "graphic
editing" or "process your photos" but "learn to use
Photoshop". That's the class offered in my own local
adult ed courses. Students have to buy PS to take
the class!

obviously, they need to buy photoshop if they're taking a class on
photoshop.

(And of course, the teacher won't know
PSP, will have never heard of GIMP,

that's because they aren't as capable as photoshop.

and probably
doesn't understand that PS's default file format is
not a standard image format. For them, and thus
for the students, graphic editing *is* Photoshop.)

photoshop's format is very much a standard image format, one whose
format is published and can be read/written by numerous other apps.
Old October 19th 17, 01:41 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/543...ath-by-subscri
ption-model

I wonder, if in the future, you'll need to purchase a monthly subscription
to run your camera body and will they cease to working if you try to sell
them? Trade-ins only?

Why on earth aren't folks dropping the "cloud" products of this abortion
of a company will always be a mystery to me.

because they're best in class and do more than other offerings.

I never used any of their products other than Elements and even that
only for a couple of months.

in other words, you don't know what it can do.

elements is also *not* a cloud product.

Corel's Paintshop 2018 and Aftershot 3 are so much better value
products, there is simply no comparison.

nonsense

And yes, they accept all the
'shop plug-ins!

no they definitely don't.
Old October 19th 17, 04:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"Tony Cooper" wrote

| I don't know where your adult ed classes are given, but they are part
| of the local colleges here. Computers, with the appropriate software,
| are provided.

The local high school. Not nearly as swanky
as what you describe. And probably not qualifying
for student software discounts.
But I think you make a good point.
Software provided and a discount on your own
copy probably more than pays for the course.
But there's also an insidious aspect. After the
course you're likely to conflate PS with photo
editing. That's the idea. Then you get a student
discount. So now you're hooked on PS and you
haven't even been told there are options. Next
time you don't have the student ID but feel you
have no choice but to pay $600+ for the latest
version. (Or 3 times that for the whole package.)

The high prices are only possible because of
that system.

Old October 19th 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| I don't know where your adult ed classes are given, but they are part
| of the local colleges here. Computers, with the appropriate software,
| are provided.

The local high school. Not nearly as swanky
as what you describe. And probably not qualifying
for student software discounts.
But I think you make a good point.
Software provided and a discount on your own
copy probably more than pays for the course.
But there's also an insidious aspect. After the
course you're likely to conflate PS with photo
editing. That's the idea. Then you get a student
discount. So now you're hooked on PS and you
haven't even been told there are options. Next
time you don't have the student ID but feel you
have no choice but to pay $600+ for the latest
version. (Or 3 times that for the whole package.)

or $50ish for elements, which is more than enough for someone taking
adult-ed courses.

The high prices are only possible because of
that system.

no, the high prices are because the full photoshop is a professional
level tool.
Old October 19th 17, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

On 19/10/17 10:36, Noons wrote:
On 19/10/2017 1:23 @wiz, Rich A wrote:
https://www.dpreview.com/opinion/543...cription-model

I wonder, if in the future, you'll need to purchase a monthly
subscription to run your camera body and will they cease to working if
you try to sell them?Â* Trade-ins only?

Why on earth aren't folks dropping the "cloud" products of this abortion
of a company will always be a mystery to me.

I never used any of their products other than Elements and even that
only for a couple of months.

Corel's Paintshop 2018 and Aftershot 3 are so much better value
products, there is simply no comparison.Â* And yes, they accept all the
'shop plug-ins!

Are there any products that do what Lightroom CC does (with it's multi
device, auto sync'd system)?

To me, LR CC looks like the answer to my prayers, after no every having
systematically catalogued and rated my moderate collection. ACDsee is
the nearest I could find, but lacks mobile support.
Old October 20th 17, 02:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 20:36:30 +1100, Noons
wrote:

Corel's Paintshop 2018 and Aftershot 3 are so much better value
products, there is simply no comparison. And yes, they accept all the
'shop plug-ins!

I agree that the Corel products have capabilities which match
Photoshop. The problem is that there is so much more that Photoshop
can do which the others can't. If you need those extra capabilities
then you need Photoshop.

Eric Stevens
Old October 20th 17, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

"android" wrote

| On the one hand, it's
| loaded with a lot of crap, like a file explorer.
|
| I launch it from a browser, so I wouldn't know. It's sold as an editor
| and that's what it is.

Launch it from a browser? If you look at their
main page you'll see features listed. The first is
image editing. The second is "browsing", what
some here are calling "asset management". The
3rd is PDF editing. (!) The 4th is Flash and animations.
(PSP5 came with an animation studio. Fun. Though
I've rarely used it.)

| But nowhere do they say what
| the price is! Even the buy page doesn't say, unless
| "59,-euro" is supposed to mean something.
|
| Yes. It's the price. Kind of obvious if you look at the purchase page.

Yes that's the price what? It's 59 euros? so
something like $65 then.

| Quite nice for that what you get. I've decided to try PS but this one
| stays...

It sounds impressive if it really does what it says,
though the price is a bit steep. Maybe I'll check it
out. $65 is actually not bad even just for a full-fledged
PDF editor. I'll be interested to hear your comparison
review if you try PS.

Old October 20th 17, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
"Mayayana" wrote:

"android" wrote

| On the one hand, it's
| loaded with a lot of crap, like a file explorer.
|
| I launch it from a browser, so I wouldn't know. It's sold as an editor
| and that's what it is.

Launch it from a browser? If you look at their
main page you'll see features listed. The first is
image editing. The second is "browsing", what
some here are calling "asset management". The
3rd is PDF editing. (!) The 4th is Flash and animations.
(PSP5 came with an animation studio. Fun. Though
I've rarely used it.)

| But nowhere do they say what
| the price is! Even the buy page doesn't say, unless
| "59,-euro" is supposed to mean something.
|
| Yes. It's the price. Kind of obvious if you look at the purchase page.

Yes that's the price what? It's 59 euros? so
something like $65 then.

What's your problem? Are you offended that there are other currencies
than USD out there? Once upon a time euros meant euro dollars, dollars
used in trade between european economies. So no more...

| Quite nice for that what you get. I've decided to try PS but this one
| stays...

It sounds impressive if it really does what it says,
though the price is a bit steep. Maybe I'll check it
out. $65 is actually not bad even just for a full-fledged
PDF editor. I'll be interested to hear your comparison
review if you try PS.

I use PS now, to find out was the fuzz is about and because I'm
interesting in working with the "industry standard" for a while, working
it is that that is expected at this time, if you're ambitious. There
won't be a review from me though, I think...
--
teleportation kills