|GG| What is the big deal about LiveView?

Old October 10th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default |GG| What is the big deal about LiveView?

schizoid_man wrote:
I'm new to DSLR photography, but have owned compact digital cameras
over the years.

I don't quite understand what the big deal is about LiveView, as this
technology has been available in compacts for at least 6-7 years now,
right?

I just recently got a live view SLR and it's not as useful as I thought
it would be. I missed it when moving up to a DSLR but haven't really
embraced it's return. One case where it was sort of usable was in
macros, you can frame the shot then quickly zoom in to the detail to
refine focus before snapping... but for the most part having a bigger,
clearer optical view to compose and frame is a lot more powerful way to
visualize. In theory it would be ideal for tripod work too but in
practice it's still nicer to set up with the viewfinder and you can snap
a test shot and check it quicker than changing modes, etc. Really
annoying to accidentally leave it in live view mode too.

I would like to see a studio setup with live view ported to a laptop
sized screen.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Old October 10th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John A.

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 20:56:41 -0700, Paul Furman
wrote:

schizoid_man wrote:
[...]

I've only used it when I can't reach the viewfinder with my eye, like
when shooting out a high window or over a crowd.
Old October 10th 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles[_2_]

"Paul Furman" wrote in message
schizoid_man wrote:
I'm new to DSLR photography, but have owned compact digital cameras
over the years.

One case where it was sort of usable was in macros, you can frame the shot
then quickly zoom in to the detail to refine focus before snapping... SNIP

It is very useable for macros. Please try it again.

Old October 11th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Rotten Ronny

"John A." wrote in message
I've only used it when I can't reach the viewfinder with my eye, like
when shooting out a high window or over a crowd.

I finds it useful for night time or shooting in dark rooms because you can
see the LCD much better than what you can see through the viewfinder and you
can increase the brightness of the LCD too.

Old October 11th 08, 09:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Eric Stevens

wrote:

schizoid_man wrote:
[...]

.... or under a machine, or down a hole, or ...

Eric Stevens
Old October 12th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Rotten Ronny wrote:

I finds it useful for night time or shooting in dark rooms because you can
see the LCD much better than what you can see through the viewfinder and you
can increase the brightness of the LCD too.

With my point'n'shoots (which have LifeView), I found 2
situations where I use the dark hole called viewfinder, even
though parallax etc. is a real problem:
- It's too bright to see anything on the LCD[1]
- It's too dark; the LCD does not show recognisable images.

-Wolfgang

[1] Though I do own a P&S where i simply switch off the
backlight for the monitor to save power in these
situations, as the monitor is perfectly OK with full
sunshine on it.
Old October 18th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Wilba[_3_]

Paul Furman wrote:
schizoid_man wrote:

[...]

Do you mean remote LiveView (tethered) shooting, like with Canon's EOS
Utility?