Canon digital Rebel Lenses - Question

Old December 4th 04, 09:01 PM
steve

Default Canon digital Rebel Lenses - Question

Nope,

FD lenses will not mount on the rebel, 10D, 20d, 1d, 1ds, etc. I suppose
you can try to find some kind of adaptor but I have never tried one.

If your collection of FD lenses is huge finding an adaptor might be
worth a try, otherwise........

(sorry)

Steve

Bruce in Alaska wrote:

Hello Group,
I have been a film photog for years and am thinking of
switching over to digital, and the Digital Rebel seems like
a good place to start. I own the venerable F1 with FD lenses
and wonder if they would fit the Digital Rebel body, which
seems to use the EF lenses? Are the mountings the same?

Thanks,

Bruce in alaska

Old December 4th 04, 10:14 PM
mike nelson

With a suitable adapter, you can use the FD lenses in manual focus mode, and
you will also have to resort to stop-down metering, as all automatic
functions will not work. Do a google search on FD to EOS and you will find
a lot of good info.

Mike

--
add a 2 before @

Old December 4th 04, 10:47 PM
Robertwgross

Bruce wrote:
I have been a film photog for years and am thinking of
switching over to digital, and the Digital Rebel seems like
a good place to start. I own the venerable F1 with FD lenses
and wonder if they would fit the Digital Rebel body, ...

It may be possible to physically mount some FD lens onto the body, but it won't
work worth a damn. Canon EOS bodies use EF lenses that have autofocus. The D
Rebel also uses EF-S lenses.

I would suggest that if you have been a film photographer for years, you might
want to try the slightly more serious cousins of the D Rebel, namely the 10D
and 20D.

---Bob Gross---

Old December 4th 04, 10:53 PM
Peter Kelsey

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 20:32:35 GMT, Bruce in Alaska
wrote:

Hello Group,
I have been a film photog for years and am thinking of
switching over to digital, and the Digital Rebel seems like
a good place to start. I own the venerable F1 with FD lenses
and wonder if they would fit the Digital Rebel body, which
seems to use the EF lenses? Are the mountings the same?

There are apparently "adapters" available, but they don't use the
"automatic" features... you have to use the FD lenses in "manual"
mode.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2A8131F9

I'm not sure if the same adapter would work on the 10D or 20D, but you
might want to consider one of them instead.

Old December 5th 04, 12:22 AM
Michael A. Covington

No, the digital Canons use EF (EOS) lenses.

Various adapters have existed to put FD lenses on EOS cameras, but they have
limitations. Some of them do not allow the lens to focus on infinity; that
is, they work as extension tubes. Others contain a small 1.1x
teleconverter, often of poor optical quality.

You can get Nikon-lens-to-EOS-body and M42-lens-to-EOS-body adapters that
focus on infinity and do not contain glass elements.

In any case, you don't get the benefits of autofocus unless you use an EOS
(EF) lens.

www.covingtoninnovations.com/dslr

Old December 5th 04, 12:37 AM
Aerticulean Effort

mike nelson wrote:
With a suitable adapter, you can use the FD lenses in manual focus mode, and
you will also have to resort to stop-down metering, as all automatic
functions will not work. Do a google search on FD to EOS and you will find
a lot of good info.

Mike

Sorry Mike - could you run that by me one more time?

Aerticeus

(I put it down to that earlier Egyptian experience)
Old December 5th 04, 01:39 AM
dj_nme

Aerticulean Effort wrote:
mike nelson wrote:

With a suitable adapter, you can use the FD lenses in manual focus
mode, and
you will also have to resort to stop-down metering, as all automatic
functions will not work. Do a google search on FD to EOS and you will
find
a lot of good info.

Mike

Sorry Mike - could you run that by me one more time?

Aerticeus

(I put it down to that earlier Egyptian experience)

I am not mike, but here is my explanation:

The adapter provides a mechanical mount to attach the older lens to the
newer body and optics to retain infinity focus, but does not allow the
body to electricaly communicate with the lens.
The camera can't tell what actual apeture is set on the lens and
autofocus does not work.

Stop down metering is when the lens apeture is actualy at the required
f-stop while you are composing to allow the camera body (if set on auto)
to set the exposure.
The viewfinder looks dimmer than with an auto-apeture lens (which
comminicates the f-stop the the body via a linkage [electronic or
mechanical] and only closes the apeture down when the shutter is fired),
the camera can set the shutter speed based on the amount to light
hitting the sensor.

For example:
I can use Pentacon Six lenses with an adapter on my Minolta XG-2 and the
lens apeture is closed (or stopped) down all the time.
The camera meter still works, but on the smaller apetures (high f-stop
number), the viewfinder looks a bit dim.