Nervous About A Lens Purchase

Old November 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler

Default Nervous About A Lens Purchase

"RPN" wrote in message
I am planning to buy the Canon 100-400mm L IS lens and I have read
accounts on the web and various Usenet forums where even the best lens
manufacturers, making the best of lenses, occasionally makes a lens that
does not focus properly or has some other defect. I have no idea if
these accounts represent 10% of the lenses sold or .0001% of the lenses
sold. To me this is a very expensive purchase that I don't take
lightly. I wonder, even if it is only .0001% chance, what can I expect
of Canon or a reputable dealer such as B&H or Adorama if I am that
"lucky" person who hits that .0001%.

Are there any of you that can offer some insight on how prevalent
manufacturing problems really are, how often problems are successfully
resolved to the buyers satisfaction, and how much of a hassle it is?

Reading the other responses suggests that your question has not been
answered. I'll try:

1/ A lens is a mechanical assembly and thus is subject to manufacturing
tolerances.
2/ As one pays more, one expects tighter tolerances ... and generally gets
them.
3/ Canon lenses are good buys and L lenses are generally worth their cost.
4/ Lenses can be damaged (slightly) so that anecdotal information can be
misleading.
5/ Canon has good repair depots.

Hope that helps. By the way, I own a copy of that lens and can recommend
it.

Old November 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bart van der Wolf

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Now if only you'd had a 300mm f4 handy that day...

indeed, but Skip's examples, and Roger's evaluations do support the
notion that the 100-400mm is not optimal, like most zoom options (with
very few potential exceptions).

--
Bart

Old November 27th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Now if only you'd had a 300mm f4 handy that day...

indeed, but Skip's examples, and Roger's evaluations do support the
notion that the 100-400mm is not optimal, like most zoom options (with
very few potential exceptions).

Ya. I've owned two copies of that lens, and it was less than perfect, but I
don't think Skip's example is a very typical example shot. This is a more
likely subject example for that lens:

My first copy was stolen, and I sold the replacement after seeing it sit on
the shelf after I bought the 70-200 2.8 IS. With my more recent use of the
full frame 5D and the lack of perceived enlargement (crop factor) I've found
myself wishing for 400mm again (my 200 + 1.4+1.6 cropped 10D made me miss it
less, with similar field of view to 448mm...).

My ideal zoom tele would be a Canon 200-400 f4 (unless 2.8 isn't too much to
ask), or perhaps a 200-500 f4. But alas...Canon makes neither... Nikon's
version is right up there in price with the best super-teles, so I'm sure a
Canon rendition would be up there as well... For this reason, I've been
tempted to re-acquire the 100-400, but I know I'd be unhappy with the 5.6
aperture. Given an extra $6K+, I'd grab the 400mm 2.8 IS and return to
Alaska for a month or two...

Oh well...for now.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 27th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"RPN" wrote in message

Thanks for the input. If there are others that are looking as well, I
think the URL for last one (400mm at F8) should be

http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/51380605

Also, I have a way off topic question. The shorter building on the far
left hand side of the frame appears to have an antenna system of some
sort (mast with wires running radially to the edges) on the roof. Do
you know anything about that? Just curious.

Well, since that is a federal building/prison, I'm not sure I want to
know...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 27th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Prometheus

In article , Skip
writes
"RPN" wrote in message

Thanks for the input. If there are others that are looking as well, I
think the URL for last one (400mm at F8) should be

http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/51380605

Also, I have a way off topic question. The shorter building on the far
left hand side of the frame appears to have an antenna system of some
sort (mast with wires running radially to the edges) on the roof. Do
you know anything about that? Just curious.

Well, since that is a federal building/prison, I'm not sure I want to
know...

In which case it is probably the base station antenna for the wardens.

--
Ian G8ILZ
Old November 27th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RPN

In article , Prometheus@
127.0.0.1 says...
In article , Skip
writes
"RPN" wrote in message

Thanks for the input. If there are others that are looking as well, I
think the URL for last one (400mm at F8) should be

http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/51380605

Also, I have a way off topic question. The shorter building on the far
left hand side of the frame appears to have an antenna system of some
sort (mast with wires running radially to the edges) on the roof. Do
you know anything about that? Just curious.

Well, since that is a federal building/prison, I'm not sure I want to
know...

In which case it is probably the base station antenna for the wardens.

Perhaps, but it looks large enough to be an HF antenna. I am not sure
why they would need that in a prison for local communications. My
guess is that being in an urban setting, it would be a lesser prison
and other Federal agencies are in the building, and one of those would
use it. But as I say it is a guess, and with no other facts, yours is
certainly as good as mine.
Old November 29th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Skip

"Prometheus" wrote in message
In article , Skip
writes
"RPN" wrote in message
.. .

Thanks for the input. If there are others that are looking as well, I
think the URL for last one (400mm at F8) should be

http://www.pbase.com/skipm/image/51380605

Also, I have a way off topic question. The shorter building on the far
left hand side of the frame appears to have an antenna system of some
sort (mast with wires running radially to the edges) on the roof. Do
you know anything about that? Just curious.

Well, since that is a federal building/prison, I'm not sure I want to
know...

In which case it is probably the base station antenna for the wardens.

--
Ian G8ILZ

More than likely.

Old November 30th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Arnor

Hi Alan,

While I disagree with the rest of your post, no truer words than above
have ever been stated about high end gear (photography and otherwise).

Ever heard of insurance?g

Best regards,

Arnor Baldvinsson
San Antonio, Texas.

Purchase m Ransley Digital Photography 1 October 16th 05 02:38 PM
SLR purchase: help /* frank */ 35mm Photo Equipment 18 July 19th 04 08:17 PM
First effort - a bit nervous here! John Bartley Large Format Photography Equipment 15 July 2nd 04 04:30 PM
Looking To Purchase M42 End Lens Caps Allan W. Bart, Jr. 35mm Equipment for Sale 1 January 20th 04 02:17 PM