Fast AF speed

Old July 18th 04, 04:32 PM
Wilt W

Default Fast AF speed

The thing I disliked about his camera was the long time it took after
pressing the button to the time the photo was taken. This would be,
like, my 1st or 2nd consideration when buying my own camera along with
picture quality.

Workaround 1: Prefocus. Press the shutter button half way down aimed at the
scene you wish to take (like the wedding cake cutting scene) and some type of
indicator is likely to go green when you do this, then push shutter button the
rest of the way when ready to actually take the photo (like during the smashing
of the cake into the groom's face at the reception).
Workaround 2: some cameras operate faster if merely using the optic viewfinder
rather than using the LCD to compose and shoot.
Workaround 3: If the camera has manual focus capabilty, set the camera to a
predetermined distance.

--Wilt
Old July 18th 04, 08:17 PM
Douglas

Auto focus speed has as much,or more,to do with the LENS than the camera as
a whole!It is hard to say which cameras are fastest,without knowing the
lenses used!
"spasmous" wrote in message
om...
(George Preddy) wrote in message

om...
(spasmous) wrote in message
. com...

Would someone be able to point me to a comparison of AF speeds (or
whatever the time between button press & photo happens is called) for
different cameras?

Try
www.imaging-resource.com

Or does someone know what the fastest models are? (NB. budget up to
$400 or so)

A non-focusing P&S would be the fastest. I think the 3.2MP Casio
credit card size model boosts a shutter lag of 1/100th sec, which is
about 5X faster than a pre-focused $8000 Canon 1Ds DSLR.

Thanks for replying... but that website is similar to dpreview ie.
page after page of everything *but* the thing I'm interested in
Actaully, I think a camera that can focus is probably quite important
isn't it? As I mentioned, the auto-focus seems to be the rate
determining step in digital cameras, not the shutter speed.