New Nikon?

Old May 3rd 05, 04:39 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

"Whatevah" wrote in message
news:c9wde.20030$lZ.7701@trnddc04...
Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Tim wrote:

Does anyone know if Nikon has a camera in the works to compete with the
Digital Rebel XT? If so, any word on when?

What about the Nikon D70 or D70s doesn't compete with the Rebel XT? I
don't think the megapixel difference is more than a minor feature
difference.

the D70 isn't quite on the same level as the Rebel XT, or the 20D. It
tried to slip in between the Rebel and the 10D, but lost.

I have the "old" Rebel, but I'd rather have the D70 than the XT.

I don't like the menu-bias of the XT; it relies on its menus too much. You
have to go into the menus for flash compensation, and the ISO, white
balance, AF-mode, and quality settings are in fact menu-shortcuts as opposed
to a more "direct" approach the way the D70 (or even old Rebel) do it where
they use the "regular" LCD (control panel).

The XT is a D-SLR, it should act like one rather than being so menu-driven
with those particular settings.

LRH

Old May 3rd 05, 04:43 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
t...

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
t...

Again, I have to ask, what about it is "not at the same level" as the
Rebel XT? What specifically? Again, you can cite the megapixel issue
if you like, but I think the 6MP and 8MP difference is a minor attribute
difference at best, and as such, I hope that isn't all that you can
cite.

IMO the only real differences are the XT's available vertical grip and

more
cropping latitude with the added pixels. Canon *does* have a broader range
of lens options, such as three tilt-shifts and IS.

Nikon can't do those lenses due to the limitations of their lens mount.

One other difference is the lack of mirror lock-up on the D70. An
aftermarket vertical grip is available for the D70.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:49 AM
PhotoMan

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...

One other difference is the lack of mirror lock-up on the D70. An
aftermarket vertical grip is available for the D70.

From what I've read, the D70 has a very well damped mirror mechanism, so
that shouldn't be an issue. Further: I've only handled a D70 a couple times,
but it *does* feel much more substantial than Canon's Rebels. When did Nikon
announce a vertical grip for the D70?

Old May 3rd 05, 05:28 AM
Paul Rubin

"PhotoMan" writes:
From what I've read, the D70 has a very well damped mirror
mechanism, so that shouldn't be an issue. Further: I've only handled
a D70 a couple times, but it *does* feel much more substantial than
Canon's Rebels. When did Nikon announce a vertical grip for the D70?

D70's mirror is pretty noisy. Nikonians.org are doing some experiments
to check whether the mirror slap affects images.

Nikon has no D70 vertical grip but Harbortronics offers one.
http://harbortronics.com/detail.php?id=2
Old May 3rd 05, 10:52 AM
deryck lant

The message
from Paul Rubin contains these words:

"PhotoMan" writes:
From what I've read, the D70 has a very well damped mirror
mechanism, so that shouldn't be an issue. Further: I've only handled
a D70 a couple times, but it *does* feel much more substantial than
Canon's Rebels. When did Nikon announce a vertical grip for the D70?

D70's mirror is pretty noisy. Nikonians.org are doing some experiments
to check whether the mirror slap affects images.

The D70 has much lower average shutter/mirror sound than 350D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page6.asp

Deryck
Old May 3rd 05, 11:18 AM
Tom Scales

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
ink.net...

Nikon can't do those lenses due to the limitations of their lens mount.

Really? I was under the impression the D2X could do them.

Tom

Old May 3rd 05, 12:33 PM
Diane Wilson

In article . net,
says...
"Tim" wrote in message
Does anyone know if Nikon has a camera in the works to compete with the
Digital Rebel XT? If so, any word on when?

The D70s is due out soon. It is lower resolution than the XT, and lacks a
couple of important features that the XT has, such as mirror lock-up, and a
vertical grip, but it is Nikon's answer to the XT, for now.

See
http://digitalslrinfo.com

I can't possibly call those "important features." Mirror lockup is
really a specialty item, for people who have a strong interest in
specific types of long-exposure work, like astronomy. And the D70
handles fine without the vertical grip.

Diane
Old May 3rd 05, 01:49 PM
Pete D

Mirror lockup is
really a specialty item, for people who have a strong interest in
specific types of long-exposure work, like astronomy.
Diane

Or any macro work. Great feature you should use it more.

Old May 3rd 05, 01:54 PM
Darrell

"PhotoMan" wrote in message
t...

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" wrote in message
t...

Again, I have to ask, what about it is "not at the same level" as the
Rebel XT? What specifically? Again, you can cite the megapixel issue
if you like, but I think the 6MP and 8MP difference is a minor attribute
difference at best, and as such, I hope that isn't all that you can
cite.

IMO the only real differences are the XT's available vertical grip and
more
cropping latitude with the added pixels. Canon *does* have a broader range
of lens options, such as three tilt-shifts and IS.

Non of the lens you cite will be bought by the average XT owner...