New Nikon to be called an "ILC" -- not SLR

Old July 20th 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David J Taylor[_16_]

Default New Nikon to be called an "ILC" -- not SLR

"Bowser" wrote in message
On 20 Jul 2010 14:26:29 GMT, ray wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:01:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

ILC is the term that Popular Photography is using for... well...ILC's.
Digital rangefinder doesn't work even though the styling is what you'd
expect if the Leica and Nikon Rangefinders were reincarnated as
digitals. ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.

Quite simple: IEVF or ILEVF or even ILEV - I like that one.

Nah. The tried and true EVIL works for me. Why change now?

Fairly obvious, I would have thought! Or did I miss the smiley?

David

Old July 20th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

ray wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:01:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.

Quite simple: IEVF or ILEVF or even ILEV - I like that one.

Much better: Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens (EVIL).

-Wolfgang
Old July 21st 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"Gordon Freeman" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...-camera-coming
-soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

SLR is a stupid term anyhow, I mean the whole point of an SLR is that
you are not restricted to a single lens!

At a time. Not a single lens forever. Distinguishes the type from twin-lens
reflex, that's all.

But since the term exists, why not go the whole hog and use "mirrorless
SLR" for something which is neither reflex nor single lens.

Because "mirrorles SLR" is a contradiction in terms.

Old July 22nd 10, 02:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:38:16 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

ray wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:01:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.

Quite simple: IEVF or ILEVF or even ILEV - I like that one.

Much better: Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens (EVIL).

-Wolfgang

But interchangeable lens is a more primary feature. So why not ILEV?

Oh, that's right. You're a low-life completely insecure DSLT-TROLL of a
toad. You have to choose another derogatory name for anything that's not
like your rube-goldberg mechanical contraption of a camera from last
century.

ILC suffices quite nice.

Old July 22nd 10, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
dj_nme[_3_]

Gordon Freeman wrote:
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...-camera-coming
-soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

SLR is a stupid term anyhow, I mean the whole point of an SLR is that
you are not restricted to a single lens!

The "single lens" in SLR is referring to the viewfinder and camera lens
as being one in the same.
It has nothing to do with interchangeable lenses, but this is a feature
found on most SLR cameras.

But since the term exists, why not go the whole hog and use "mirrorless
SLR" for something which is neither reflex nor single lens.

Some people seem to like using this term, despite it being
self-contradictory.
I personally prefer EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable lens).
Old July 22nd 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Gordon Freeman wrote:

SLR is a stupid term anyhow, I mean the whole point of an SLR is that
you are not restricted to a single lens!

Ever hear of a dual lens reflex camera? Go educate yourself
on those.

-Wolfgang
Old July 22nd 10, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
J. Clarke

On 7/21/2010 10:02 PM, dj_nme wrote:
Gordon Freeman wrote:
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...-camera-coming
-soon/
So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

SLR is a stupid term anyhow, I mean the whole point of an SLR is that
you are not restricted to a single lens!

The "single lens" in SLR is referring to the viewfinder and camera lens
as being one in the same.
It has nothing to do with interchangeable lenses, but this is a feature
found on most SLR cameras.

Further, it distinguishes an SLR from a twin-lens reflex, a type that
has pretty much vanished from the market.

But since the term exists, why not go the whole hog and use "mirrorless
SLR" for something which is neither reflex nor single lens.

Some people seem to like using this term, despite it being
self-contradictory.
I personally prefer EVIL (Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable lens).

I like that.

Old July 23rd 10, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Outing Trolls is FUN![_5_]

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:14:53 +0200, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:

Gordon Freeman wrote:

SLR is a stupid term anyhow, I mean the whole point of an SLR is that
you are not restricted to a single lens!

Ever hear of a dual lens reflex camera? Go educate yourself
on those.

-Wolfgang

It's called a twin-lens reflex (TLR), you ****ing moron of a troll. Go
educate yourself.