New Nikon to be called an "ILC" -- not SLR

Old July 19th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

Default New Nikon to be called an "ILC" -- not SLR

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...a-coming-soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

Old July 19th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:36:30 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...camera-coming-

soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

Looks just the ticket. I wonder what the resolution on the EVF will be.
Old July 19th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"ray" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:36:30 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...camera-coming-

soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

Looks just the ticket. I wonder what the resolution on the EVF will be.

That's the big question, exactly.

Old July 19th 10, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

wrote:
http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...a-coming-soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

The "mirrorless SLR" term came from a Bloomberg journalist, not from
Nikon. Probably lost in translation from Japanese to English.

Either that, or a journalist who didn't really know what "SLR" meant and
assumed the new one was the same type of camera.

Old July 19th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

Rich wrote:
On Jul 19, 2:36 pm, "Neil Harrington" wrote:
http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...ss-camera-comi...

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

Who is the ugly brat with Kutcher? He looks like one of those adults
who don't grow.

Maybe one of Demi's children? Dunno.

BTW, why does that drawing of the Nikon in the
blueprint look like a CANON!!!??

Old July 20th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
LOL!

wrote:

http://www.photographybay.com/2010/0...a-coming-soon/

So much for the "mirrorless SLR."

But I like the acronym ILC. Like others of their ILK. It has a nice
derogatory locked-goose-step ring to it.

Can be used so many ways. Like....

"How's that crud on your sensor working out for you on that ILC?"

Related ....

"Damn, you brought an ILC? Well, don't take that thing out of its
hermitically sealed protective bag. The dust blowing around here on these
(dunes/beaches/plowed-farmlands/etc.) is going to destroy all of your
images. We'll just use our non-ILC cameras designed in this century to get
all the good shots. No, don't bother. It was fun you came along but we
don't want you destroying your expensive and new, but mechanically
trapped-in-the-past, camera so easily."

Or...

"Awww.... too bad you missed that shot because you didn't change lenses in
time on that ILC. I never have that problem on my non-ILC camera."

How about ...

"What a shame you have that piece of **** ILC with its focal-plane shutter
crippled by its SLOOOOW flash-sync shutter-speeds. Otherwise you could have
used some fill-flash to soften those harsh shadows of your subject on the
beach today."

Or maybe ...

"What a shame they implemented phase-focusing on that ILC, now you'll miss
out on 90% of your shots from them having front and back focusing problems.
May you should try another of their ILC that uses highly accurate
contrast-detection focusing."

Oh, I know ...

"How come that high-diver looks so short? Oh, that's right. You're using a
focal-plane shutter and your subject got distorted by the crippling SLOOOW
focal-plane shutter. Is that why you use that ILC? To destroy any
documentation accuracy? Those rubber helicopter blades look fun too."

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/chdk/images//4/46/Focalplane_shutter_distortions.jpg
The tail-rotor and its shadow being 90° out of sync still makes me chuckle.
Those focal-plane shutters just never stop delivering reasons to laugh. As
well at laughing at those who are still too stupid to continue to support
the production of them. The money they dumped in glass from last century is
keeping them trapped in technology from the last century.

Or maybe ...

"Why is only one row of compound eyes on that insect in focus? It must be
that shallow depth-of-field that you are so proud of on that ILC. The same
reason that you can't even get two birds on the same branch in focus at the
same time. Don't you just love buying that overpriced ILC?"

What about ...

"C'mon, you're slowing us down. We have to get to that next peak before
sunset. Throw about 5 of your lenses and that hefty tripod over the cliff.
Keep just your most used lens. Otherwise none of us are going to get that
shot of the lunar eclipse over the Andes at the rate you're going. Either
that or we'll just leave you here hugging your beloved glass. Your choice!"

This is fun and I could go on with about 200 more different examples but
all fun must come to an end.

LOL!

Old July 20th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Michael[_6_]

ILC is the term that Popular Photography is using for... well...ILC's.
Digital rangefinder doesn't work even though the styling is what you'd
expect if the Leica and Nikon Rangefinders were reincarnated as
digitals. ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.
--
Michael

Old July 20th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Harrington[_5_]

"Michael" wrote in message
ILC is the term that Popular Photography is using for... well...ILC's.
Digital rangefinder doesn't work even though the styling is what you'd
expect if the Leica and Nikon Rangefinders were reincarnated as digitals.
ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't distinguish
the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43 year old Nikon
F.

Right, it doesn't. But it's a new TLA. :-)

Old July 20th 10, 03:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:01:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

ILC is the term that Popular Photography is using for... well...ILC's.
Digital rangefinder doesn't work even though the styling is what you'd
expect if the Leica and Nikon Rangefinders were reincarnated as
digitals. ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.

Quite simple: IEVF or ILEVF or even ILEV - I like that one.
Old July 20th 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bowser

On 20 Jul 2010 14:26:29 GMT, ray wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 22:01:26 -0400, Michael wrote:

ILC is the term that Popular Photography is using for... well...ILC's.
Digital rangefinder doesn't work even though the styling is what you'd
expect if the Leica and Nikon Rangefinders were reincarnated as
digitals. ILC just means interchangeable Lens Camera and that doesn't
distinguish the mirrorless with EVF from the DSLR from, frankly, a 43
year old Nikon F.

Quite simple: IEVF or ILEVF or even ILEV - I like that one.

Nah. The tried and true EVIL works for me. Why change now?