Best Monitor for Photo Editing

Old November 11th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PJ

Default Best Monitor for Photo Editing

I'm ready to update my years-old monitor. Understand that CRTs are best for
photo editing. Anyone have a recommendation for either CRT or LCD?

Thanks.........PJ

Old November 12th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

PJ wrote:
I'm ready to update my years-old monitor. Understand that CRTs are
best for photo editing. Anyone have a recommendation for either CRT
or LCD?
Thanks.........PJ

The old generalization that CRTs are highly superior to LCDs nearly
irrelevant for most users any more. Both will work well...but only in a
color-managed workflow.
I get fantastic results with my LCD, but only after calibration is done.
I'm very picky about knowing exactly what my prints will look like BEFORE I
waste ink/media, and my results are completely predictable. See below...

For anyone interested producing prints that TRULY match what you see on your
screen, the component that is absolutely essential, IMHO, is a
**colorometer.**

I recommend the Spyder 2 from Color Vision for about $159. After about 30
minutes of running through its straight-forward instructions/procedures,
you'll have a monitor that displays colors properly. Follow that up with a
photo editor that is properly set up, and you'll finally be able to be the
master of your images, rather than being subject to the "crap-shoot" that so
many people endure when it comes to prints that match your screen.

Once you have this most essential device, you'll be able to properlyl
calibrate any and all monitors in the future, as well. No one who is
serious about photo editing/printing should be without one.

MarkČ

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 12th 06, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
PJ wrote:
[...]

What are they like on spell checkers? ;-)

Old November 12th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

PJ wrote:
[...]

I am also looking to upgrade my monitor soon and am looking at the current
range of 22 inch wide screen monitors, some pretty good hardware to choose
from. At work I use a 24 inch Dell but they are a little more than I want to
spend for home just now, the 22's are about half the price of the 24's, and
about 1/4 the price of the 30 inch Dell that some use at work, they are
stunning by the way.

Old November 12th 06, 07:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Neil Ellwood

PJ wrote:
I'm ready to update my years-old monitor. Understand that CRTs are best for
photo editing. Anyone have a recommendation for either CRT or LCD?

Thanks.........PJ

I wouldn't like to say what monitor is best as I don't know but I am
happy with my 'Samsung SyncMaster 753DF' I got mine from my wife last
year when I bought her an lcd monitor. This one has a flat screen
surface and give results that please me. I don't know if they are still
available new.

--
Neil
swap 'ra' and delete 'l' for email
Old November 12th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

PJ wrote:
[...]

Ya, I've drooled a bit over that 30" Dell... It requires a specialized
video card just to feed all those pixels... Amazing, really. I use two
1600x1200 Viewsonic LCDs, and they are quite excellent.

My personal opinion is that the wide-screen craze is a scam. It's a nice
way for the LCD makers to sell you fewer pixels for more money. -Especially
laptop screens. The LAST thing I want is a squatty screen that means I have
to endlessly scroll up and down just to see a web-page, document, or etc.
The ONLY thing they are any good for is watching wide-screen movies. Other
than that...they are HORRIBLE for working on documents...editing
portrait-orientation photos, and even worse for viewing web-pages. You're
basically paying for a screen that has had the top (or bottom) pixels
trimmed off.

I think you're much better off sticking with a good 1600x1200 stadard ratio
screen...at whatever size.

I'll now step off of my soap-box...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 12th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

PJ wrote:
[...]

Ya ya ya... I type extremely quickly, and don't always think to hit the
ckecker...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old November 12th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Pete D

snip

[...]

Agree up to a point, the 24 inch is as high as the non wide screen 19 inch
though and the 22 inch wide screen is not far off. I also do video at home
and have a HDTV setup on this PC so wide screen is a great idea.

Old November 12th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Think about using 2 widescreen monitors with one in portrait mode.
From what I've just seen they can all pivot.

--
Joan

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
:
[...]
: --
: Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
: www.pbase.com/markuson
:
:

Old November 12th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Richard H.

MarkČ wrote:
Ya, I've drooled a bit over that 30" Dell... It requires a specialized
video card just to feed all those pixels... Amazing, really. I use two
1600x1200 Viewsonic LCDs, and they are quite excellent.

My personal opinion is that the wide-screen craze is a scam. It's a nice
way for the LCD makers to sell you fewer pixels for more money.
[...]

I think you're much better off sticking with a good 1600x1200 stadard ratio
screen...at whatever size.

Well, if you were buying the same resolution on a shorter screen, I'd
agree. But why not take that 1600x1200 and add to it?

As always, the devil's in the details. Big isn't always better.
*Native* resolution is key, as are contrast ratio, pixel size, etc.
There are some gargantuan LCDs out there with maybe 1024x768 resolution
- ick!

I've been happy with a 1920x1200 24" widescreen (predecessor to this
model:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Moni...4BRBABXAA.asp).
That Apple 30" is awesome, but it takes 2 DVI video connections to drive
it. At the time, this 24" was the largest that one DVI controller could
handle.

Widescreen is very close to 2:3 ratio, which is really nice for large
photo viewing. The size also fits a lot of thumbnails, and it can be
rotated to portrait. For normal use, it holds 2+ "full-size" windows
(or one whole "sheet" of paper in portrait mode). So, there is value to
the size & width, but you need the resolution to make it really useful -
this means a lot of RAM in your video card.

Mind you, I paid more for the monitor than the computer it's attached
to. But I've learned over time that it takes 2-3 PC generations for
each evolution of screen specs, so I spent the money and got a warranty
to back it up.

Cheers,
Richard