500mm lens for nikon

Old September 7th 05, 11:49 PM
Bob

Default 500mm lens for nikon

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range, my store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is comparable in
price to a good lens.

Old September 8th 05, 05:08 AM
Father Kodak

On 8 Sep 2005 12:01:59 -0700, "henryp"
wrote:

I don't know what you consider affordable, but Nikon's 500mm f/8 is
under 900.00. The Vivitar 500mm f/8 is a T-mount lens. The lens and a
T-mount should run you under 125.00.

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Nikon 500 mm f8 mirror lenses appear all the time on EBay. You can
usually get a nice, clean unit for about $250-$400. Lots of people
who sell this lens have bought it and them used in infrequently, so
you can usually find lenses in really good condition.

Only thing to look for is that there are two versions of this lens,
the newer one is regarded as optically superior. The way you tell the
two versions apart is that the newer version has a narrow red band
about midways on the lens barrel.

--Padre Kodak--

Old September 9th 05, 05:30 AM
Bob

On 8 Sep 2005 12:01:59 -0700, "henryp" wrote:

I don't know what you consider affordable, but Nikon's 500mm f/8 is
under 900.00.

My store doesn't carry it, maybe I should Email them... I never even heard of
it!

The Vivitar 500mm f/8 is a T-mount lens. The lens and a
T-mount should run you under 125.00.

And they don't carry Vivitar...

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video, Inc.

Old September 9th 05, 05:31 AM
Bob

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:20:05 GMT, Joe Rutsky wrote:

In article ,
says...

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range, my store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is comparable in
price to a good lens.

Try Sigma's 50-500 mm zoom. From what I hear, it is a great lens.

I never heard of that one, just the 170-500... it goes for $1000 here.

Old September 9th 05, 05:32 AM
Sheldon

"Bob" wrote in message

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range, my
store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is comparable
in
price to a good lens.

I'm not selling it, but I have a Nikon 800mm mirror f8 lens that was a real
workhorse for me when I was shooting a lot of sports. Fits my D70
perfectly, but I have to set it to manual and guestimate the exposure or use
a meter. Remember, the 1.5x ratio, so you're actually getting a 750mm. And
that 400 will be a 600 on your D70.

Old September 9th 05, 01:16 PM
Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Bob" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:20:05 GMT, Joe Rutsky

says...

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range,
my store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is
comparable in
price to a good lens.

Try Sigma's 50-500 mm zoom. From what I hear, it is a great lens.

I never heard of that one, just the 170-500... it goes for $1000 here.

Don't know where "here" is but there's a shop I buy from on Long Island,
Cameta Camera, that also is an eBay dealer. They're selling the 50-500mm
Sigma for $ 599.99 right now.

Old September 10th 05, 02:10 AM
Bob

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:32:56 -0600, "Sheldon" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range, my
store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is comparable
in
price to a good lens.

I'm not selling it, but I have a Nikon 800mm mirror f8 lens that was a real
workhorse for me when I was shooting a lot of sports. Fits my D70
perfectly, but I have to set it to manual and guestimate the exposure or use
a meter. Remember, the 1.5x ratio, so you're actually getting a 750mm. And
that 400 will be a 600 on your D70.

One of the things I have to keep in mind, is that I may buy a full frame 12m
Nikon in the future... as soon as they come out in an inexpensive model, like
the new Canon...

Therefore I don't really care so much about the crop - my 300 is 450 now, and if
I buy a 500 it will be 750 now, but will be back to 500 in the future!

That's why I won't buy any 'digital' lenses (other then the kit lens) since the
narrow throw won't be of use in the future. They will only work with the D70 and
similar.

I'm surprised that the manufacturers never figured that - crop factor is a
passing fad!

A matter of interest - a 500mm Sigma lens costs $200 more then a Meade F15
1900mm spotting scope! I may go with the scope and a T mount... and a unipod!

Old September 10th 05, 02:11 AM
Bob

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 08:16:22 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 21:20:05 GMT, Joe Rutsky

says...

I haven't seen any affordable lenses for the D70 in the high mm range,
my store
only goes to 400mm

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of maybe buying a telescope instead... A 2000mm is
comparable in
price to a good lens.

Try Sigma's 50-500 mm zoom. From what I hear, it is a great lens.

I never heard of that one, just the 170-500... it goes for $1000 here.

Don't know where "here" is but there's a shop I buy from on Long Island,
Cameta Camera, that also is an eBay dealer. They're selling the 50-500mm
Sigma for $ 599.99 right now.

I'll have to check it out - thanks!