5D Meets Hummingbird

Old March 30th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Eric Miller

Default 5D Meets Hummingbird

I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

The noise in the background is mostly the result of the sharpening
method that I used.

Eric Miller
www.dyesscreek.com
Old March 30th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Mar 29, 8:44 pm, Eric Miller
wrote:
I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

Dear Eric,
I hate you!
-Annika

Old March 30th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 8:44 pm, Eric Miller
wrote:
I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

The noise in the background is mostly the result of the sharpening
method that I used.

Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

Another amazing hummingbird shot! Gorgeous Eric!
Helen

Old March 30th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Paul Furman

Annika1980 wrote:

On Mar 29, 8:44 pm, Eric Miller
wrote:

I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

Dear Eric,
I hate you!
-Annika

ditto!!!!
Old March 30th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
joe mama

"Lionel" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:44:34 -0500, Eric Miller
wrote:

I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

too much noise, and there appears to be some dust on the sensor, noticeable
on the birds right wing.

Old March 30th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Mar 29, 8:44 pm, Eric Miller
wrote:
I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

The noise in the background is mostly the result of the sharpening
method that I used.

Eric Millerwww.dyesscreek.com

The king is dead! All hale the new king, Eric. ;-)

Double WOW! That is a very impresive capture. You are going to give
Annika a run for his money now.

Well done, keep at it.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Being better does.

Old March 30th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

On Mar 30, 1:09 pm, "Draco" wrote:
The king is dead! All hale the new king, Eric. ;-)

Double WOW! That is a very impresive capture. You are going to give
Annika a run for his money now.

Eric has always kicked my ass (and about everyone else's) at
hummingbird shots.
I'm just ****ed that I have to wait until late July to even shoot any.

Old March 30th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Draco

On Mar 30, 1:37 pm, "Annika1980" wrote:
On Mar 30, 1:09 pm, "Draco" wrote: The king is dead! All hale the new king, Eric. ;-)

Double WOW! That is a very impresive capture. You are going to give
Annika a run for his money now.

Eric has always kicked my ass (and about everyone else's) at
hummingbird shots.
I'm just ****ed that I have to wait until late July to even shoot any.

Your shooting blows mine away and now I've seen Eric's. Man I can't
catch a break. Except from...naw ain't going there.

Old March 30th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott W

On Mar 29, 2:44 pm, Eric Miller
wrote:
I finally got a chance to shoot hummers with the new 5D and my 400mm
5.6L. I didn't use my typical lighting set up because I wanted to
emphasize feather detail. So I only used light from one direction. The
following is a full-size crop.

http://tinyurl.com/3bkkrj

The noise in the background is mostly the result of the sharpening
method that I used.

Ok, I am seriously impressed.

Great shot.

Scott

Old March 30th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
cassia

Great shot! Although, it seems you're using photoshop like digital
ketchup....I'd ease up on the sharpening tool. It especially made the
red in the bird's neck look unrealistic (I'm assuming you might have
also added some color to get that effect), which really detracts from
the incredible shot that you got. If you want to reduce the noise in
the background, just use your layers tool and apply either "smart
blur" or my personal preference for backgrounds, a light gaussian
blur. Then, using your opacity bar, you can lighten the effect if it's
too strong.

All the best!!