Nursing camera batteries?

Old January 22nd 19, 12:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Nursing camera batteries?

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

discharging them fully is a very bad idea, although they're cheap
enough to where it's not worth worrying about.

I was probably not very clear. I meant removing them when the camera
stops working, I'd hope modern cameras stop at an appropriate point.

i didn't mean discharge to zero, and they do stop ahead of that.

the point is that lion batteries will last longer with many partial
discharges than fewer deep discharges.

I have recently read, in conjunction with suspected battery problems
on a third generation iPad, that it is desirable to discharge to zero
once a month or so. The explanation is that it allows battery
management system in the iPad to recalibrate itself. The explanatikon
was minimal and I didn't understand it. Does it make sense, even if
only in terms of iPads?

it makes sense. what part did you not understand?

The part where it contradicts your advice "discharging them fully is a
very bad idea... "

it doesn't contradict it at all.

add that to the list of things you don't understand.
Old January 22nd 19, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 07:29:24 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

So, what practice do you follow? Do you never fully discharge your
batteries or do you preiodically fully discharge them?

Eric Stevens
Old January 22nd 19, 11:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

this is not about me.

diversion attempt fail.
Old January 22nd 19, 11:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 18:29:10 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

It was not an attempted diversion. It was an attempt to get your
advice.

Never mind ...

Eric Stevens
Old January 23rd 19, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

which was already given and you obviously did not read.
it's also not my advice either, but that of battery technology itself.

Never mind ...

yep.
Old January 23rd 19, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:11:28 -0500, nospam
wrote:

--- snip ---

[...]

And the advice of device manufacturers is that for the sake of the
battery management it is necessary to run the battery down to zero
from time to time. It's not possible to fully reconcile the two
requirements. How should this conflict be dealt with?

Eric Stevens
Old January 23rd 19, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

And the advice of device manufacturers is that for the sake of the
battery management it is necessary to run the battery down to zero
from time to time. It's not possible to fully reconcile the two
requirements. How should this conflict be dealt with?

it's not a conflict, thus nothing to reconcile.
Old January 23rd 19, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

On 1/22/2019 7:43 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 19:11:28 -0500, nospam
wrote:

--- snip ---

[...]

If you are talking about NiMH, Since they do not have memory, you can
top them off for everyday purposes. However if you do a deep discharge a
d recharge once in a while, it will prolong the life of the batteries.

--
PeterN
Old January 23rd 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

And the advice of device manufacturers is that for the sake of the
battery management it is necessary to run the battery down to zero
from time to time. It's not possible to fully reconcile the two
requirements. How should this conflict be dealt with?

If you are talking about NiMH,

lion

Since they do not have memory, you can
top them off for everyday purposes. However if you do a deep discharge a
d recharge once in a while, it will prolong the life of the batteries.

no

every cycle wears it down a little.