Beware Oracle Java malware threat

Old December 23rd 15, 12:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Beware Oracle Java malware threat

In article ,
RichA wrote:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35159851

So glad I use a java killer add-on.

that's dumb. if you don't want java, uninstall it, or don't install it
in the first place. there's so little that needs java anymore.

and if you actually read the link, you'd see the issue has been fixed
anyway so it doesn't matter.
Old December 23rd 15, 06:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
RichA wrote:

So glad I use a java killer add-on.

that's dumb. if you don't want java, uninstall it, or don't install it
in the first place. there's so little that needs java anymore.

and if you actually read the link, you'd see the issue has been fixed
anyway so it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, some websites Java(ize) their major content

almost none do.

and if you get rid
of it, you see next to nothing.

then why do you use a java killer?
Old December 23rd 15, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 12/23/2015 2:15 AM, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 December 2015 01:58:32 UTC-5, nospam wrote:
In article ,
RichA wrote:

So glad I use a java killer add-on.

that's dumb. if you don't want java, uninstall it, or don't install it
in the first place. there's so little that needs java anymore.

and if you actually read the link, you'd see the issue has been fixed
anyway so it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately, some websites Java(ize) their major content

almost none do.

and if you get rid
of it, you see next to nothing.

then why do you use a java killer?

It's selectable. Like with "No Script" the Firefox add-on. You can kill off the ads and maintain most of the content by selecting which to let through. It's tedious admittedly, but works fairly well. Sites like Dpreview got wise to it and linked most of their content so you have to allow the junk.

I guess that means you won't be posting misquotes and distortions from
DpReview?

--
PeterN
Old December 23rd 15, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

then why do you use a java killer?

It's selectable. Like with "No Script" the Firefox add-on. You can kill
off the ads and maintain most of the content by selecting which to let
through. It's tedious admittedly, but works fairly well. Sites like
Dpreview got wise to it and linked most of their content so you have to
allow the junk.

That site seems to work fine for me, and I block
javascript, cookies, frames... as well as not
having Java or Flash installed. (Though it sure
is an ugly site -- blue, yellow and white on black.)

Are you sure you're not confusing Java with
javascript? Java is very rare these days, except
on corporate intranets, which were the intended
use in the first place.

Oddly enough, nospam is actually factually
accurate on this one.

Old December 23rd 15, 05:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

then why do you use a java killer?

It's selectable. Like with "No Script" the Firefox add-on. You can kill
off the ads and maintain most of the content by selecting which to let
through. It's tedious admittedly, but works fairly well. Sites like
Dpreview got wise to it and linked most of their content so you have to
allow the junk.

That site seems to work fine for me, and I block
javascript, cookies, frames... as well as not
having Java or Flash installed. (Though it sure
is an ugly site -- blue, yellow and white on black.)

a lot of dpreview does not work if javascript is blocked and if you
block cookies, forums won't work properly.

Are you sure you're not confusing Java with
javascript? Java is very rare these days, except
on corporate intranets, which were the intended
use in the first place.

corporate internets was not the original intended use of java. where
did you get that ****ed up idea?

Oddly enough, nospam is actually factually
accurate on this one.

much more than you'll ever be.
Old December 23rd 15, 07:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

| corporate internets was not the original intended use of java. where
| did you get that ****ed up idea?

Intranets, not internets. According to the official
history, the original intention was for an embedded
OS. But that didn't pan out and the only appropriate
use has always been corporate intranet applets,
where a lot of functionality is desired in webpages,
browser security is not an issue, and all machines
on the network can easily be set up with the requisite
Java runtime.

It's just not safe enough to use in
browsers on the Internet and never has been, though,
as with Flash, it's taken awhile for people to wake up
to that. Nor is it suitable for Desktop software. Java
and .Net are both are big, bloated, limited, slow, unsafe
platforms that don't belong on PCs.

So.... no Desktop... no Web... that leaves
corporate intranets and server-side.

Old December 23rd 15, 08:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| corporate internets was not the original intended use of java. where
| did you get that ****ed up idea?

Intranets, not internets.

typo.

According to the official
history, the original intention was for an embedded
OS. But that didn't pan out and the only appropriate
use has always been corporate intranet applets,
where a lot of functionality is desired in webpages,
browser security is not an issue, and all machines
on the network can easily be set up with the requisite
Java runtime.

that's a bit revisionist.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...vahistory-inde
x-198355.html
The Green Team demonstrated their new language with an interactive,
handheld home-entertainment controller that was originally targeted
at the digital cable television industry. Unfortunately, the concept
was much too advanced for the them at the time. But it was just right
for the Internet, which was just starting to take off. In 1995, the
team announced that the Netscape Navigator Internet browser would
incorporate Java technology.

as for functionality, that's not restricted to corporate intranets and
java is a simple install if not already there.

It's just not safe enough to use in
browsers on the Internet and never has been, though,

as if c is safe??

as with Flash, it's taken awhile for people to wake up
to that.

you can thank apple for that.

Nor is it suitable for Desktop software.

wrong on that too.

there are many apps written partly or entirely in java, including some
very popular ones, such as eclipse, openoffice and minecraft.

Java
and .Net are both are big, bloated, limited, slow, unsafe
platforms that don't belong on PCs.

more nonsense. they have their uses.

So.... no Desktop... no Web...

wrong.

some rather major web sites use java, including google, ebay, facebook
and linkedin. perhaps you've heard of them.

that leaves
corporate intranets and server-side.

java's use with servers is *not* restricted to corporate intranets.

you're also oblivious to android apps being written in java.