Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

Old April 23rd 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mike S.

Default Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

In article ,
David J Taylor wrote:
Charles wrote:
[]
LCDs are terrible in outside bright light.

You haven't seen a transreflective LCD, have you?

I'm not the OP, but your point is a good one.

I have seen a transflective screen. I see it every day on my Nokia cell
phone, and every time I drive, on my Garmin GPS unit. Both of them are
equally readable (but not necessarily true to color) in the dark as well
as bright, direct sunlight.

Why the hell can't camera makers get with the program?

Old April 23rd 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:45:22 +0100, Ken wrote:

I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject
in frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or
bigger LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to use
outside. Whats the point in having to guess the shot???

Exactly. IMHO - today's LCD screens are not any good in any weather. I
can't compose a picture with the camera is out at arm's length - I use a
Kodak P850 with a decent EVF and I use that.

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

Ken

Old April 24th 09, 11:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

Mike S. wrote:

In article ,
David J Taylor wrote:
Charles wrote:
[]
LCDs are terrible in outside bright light.

You haven't seen a transreflective LCD, have you?

I'm not the OP, but your point is a good one.

I have seen a transflective screen. I see it every day on my Nokia cell
phone, and every time I drive, on my Garmin GPS unit. Both of them are
equally readable (but not necessarily true to color) in the dark as well
as bright, direct sunlight.

Why the hell can't camera makers get with the program?

I suspect it's the current impossibility of getting reasonably good
colours and contrasts over the transmissive/reflective transition
which bothers them. The LCD would stop being a reasonably accurate
impression of the final image and could mislead people.

--
Chris Malcolm
Old April 27th 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

"Ken" wrote in message
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in
frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger
LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside.
Whats the point in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

Ken

Thanks you to you all for helping with this.

Coincidently we had a friend stay this weekend who had a Paznasonic FZ18 so
was able to make comparisons with my Nikon. It does prove the modern cameras
LCD can be viewed in bright conditions. But it also proved that I don't want
to carry this size of camera around. So I am now looking for smaller like
the Panasonic TZ5 or TZ4 but the drawback is no viewfinder but good zoom.
The Canon G10 looks perfect but I haven't go that sort of budget £400!!!
Half that at most :-)

So 28mm, viewfinder, image stabilisation, £200 max and I will start looking
at Dpreview unless anyone shouts with suggestions. I see Sony DSC W170 looks
interesting and wonder if anyone has any experience of this camera?

Ken

Old April 27th 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Deep Reset

"Ken" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

Secondhand G9 *almost* fits the bill (not quite wide enough).

Old April 28th 09, 08:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ken[_5_]

"Deep Reset" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

If money was no problem this would be my idea of the right camera - well the
G10

Ken

Old May 1st 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Deep Reset

"Ken" wrote in message

"Deep Reset" wrote in message

"Ken" wrote in message

[...]