Memory cards reliable enough?

Old July 23rd 15, 03:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mort[_3_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 04:53:24 -0500, philo wrote:

On 07/11/2015 03:01 PM, Alfred Molon wrote:
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?

I have a 32gig card in one camera and a 64gig in the other and can shoot
for months on a card.

Why? Serious question.

After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

It seems that what you do is leave the images on the card and continue
to shoot. I don't see any advantage to that.

Am I missing something?

.My PC crashed and self-destructed, and all those pix are not
accessible from the PC.. I still have the images on my SD cards, which I
then backed up onto another PC. The cards are so cheap these days, and
are virtually indestructible. (I also have an external H.D. backup, of
course.)

Mort Linder

Never had a problem with one but I copy the images to several different
computers on a regular basis

If redundancy is the goal, it's not necessary to retain the images on
the card. They can be copied to other devices other ways.

Old July 23rd 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article .at,
Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:

I wonder if you're not prematurely ageing your card by doing that.
Why not just delete the files, or have them automatically deleted
after you move them to the mdeia you're backing them up to?

Likely a format requires fewer writes, reducing the total write load on
the card, thus extending its life. The format doesn't need to process
each file individually.

neither does a delete. it just marks a file as deleted in the catalog
while formatting rewrites the entire catalog. the difference is not
significant and the number of writes is huge anyway. nobody is going to
wear out a card in normal use.

Oh, that sounds like the kind of quote that comes back to haunt
one. If "normal use" is light use then maybe, but if someone is
taking photographs, or using the card for whatever type of storage,
every day, and using a significant amount of the card each time,
then I think they might run into the limitations of the technology.
You might call that "heavy use" rather than "normal use," but it's
something that some of us do.

nobody does.

you'd have to hammer the card every single day for many years to get
anywhere close to the limit.

even pros who shoot thousands of photos a day won't hit it.
Old July 23rd 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort
wrote:

consider getting a portable storage device to offload the images,
assuming you don't want to bring a laptop.

There is available a small walkman-sized device that runs on AA NiMH
cells. You put the camera's SD card into it,and a blank CD-R , and it
burns the images onto the CD. It is fast and easy.

cds?? seriously??

burning a cd is neither fast nor easy. it's slow, clunky and primitive.

a much better choice is a hard drive based device which can hold
zillions of images. copying is fast and without needing to chop it up
into cd-sized chunks. plus, you don't need to carry a box of blanks
either.

I use SanDisc SD cards, usually 8 GB, and in using hundreds for both
music and images, I have had only one failure.

8 gb = over a dozen cds.

In addition, on a field shoot,or a trip, each night I back up images to
my travel PC's solid state memory. My biggest fear is putting all that
stuff into a basket at the airports' security screening.JFK is infamous
for pairs of crooks stealing stuff from the baskets after being examined
by the TSA.

put that stuff *inside* your carryon.

there's never a reason to use those baskets.
Old July 23rd 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Mort
wrote:

.My PC crashed and self-destructed, and all those pix are not
accessible from the PC..

unless it exploded, they're accessible.
Old July 25th 15, 09:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jack Ryan

In article
nospam wrote:

[...]

You are more trusting than I.

Old July 25th 15, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article s, Jack
Ryan wrote:

you'd have to hammer the card every single day for many years to get
anywhere close to the limit.

even pros who shoot thousands of photos a day won't hit it.

You are more trusting than I.

it's not a matter of trust. they're rated for a *lot* of writes.
Old July 31st 15, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
John Turco

On 7/25/2015 9:20 AM, nospam wrote:
In article s, Jack
Ryan wrote:

you'd have to hammer the card every single day for many years to get
anywhere close to the limit.

even pros who shoot thousands of photos a day won't hit it.

You are more trusting than I.

it's not a matter of trust. they're rated for a *lot* of writes.

Indeed, they are. Just beware of fake and "knockoff" cards, and you'll
be all right.

John