Memory cards reliable enough?

Old July 12th 15, 03:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

On 2015-07-12 12:59:17 +0000, Alan Browne

On 2015-07-11 16:01, Alfred Molon wrote:
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?

I don't recall them being considered unreliable. Indeed we all cried
the chorus of better to get solid state memory than the small spinning
mass disks that were cheaper (and far as I can tell no longer marketed).

There are all sorts of stories of lost cameras found years later with
all the data intact. Indeed a recent camera was fished out of a lake 6
years after it was lost and all the photos were retrieved and the owner
eventually located.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ipeg-1.3136501

Then

there was this one.
http://www.cnet.com/news/google-reunites-lost-waterlogged-camera-owner/

That said, any electronics can fail. I bring a laptop and offload
images to the laptop as I go. There are other solutions as well that
include data tanks and uploading images to a "cloud" account on the fly.

You can even operate your own 'cloud' drive at home and send the images there.

The trouble of course, on the road, is getting sufficiently high
bandwidth connections to the net. In some places it's hard to get
something that can reliably and quickly take off the 5 - 10 GB+ of
images one can easily shoot in a day.

This has been my travel fail safe redundant storage. It does full and
incremental backups.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/HDU2-000.html

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 04:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 12/07/2015 15:57, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

[]

I keep my cards "locked away" until I'm sure the images have multiple
backups (multiple PCs, and one or two 2.5-inch HDs).

BTW: I find it best to format in the camera, perhaps that's what you do
as well?

--
Cheers,
David
Old July 12th 15, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 16:34:49 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:11:07 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 12/07/2015 15:57, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

[]

I keep my cards "locked away" until I'm sure the images have multiple
backups (multiple PCs, and one or two 2.5-inch HDs).

BTW: I find it best to format in the camera, perhaps that's what you do
as well?

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

You are living with a bit of false security there Tony, the Lightroom
backup catalog does not back up the image files.

The Lightroom backup catalog does not actually contain your photos,
they must be backed up separately.
Backing up your Lightroom catalog file is extremely important, it
contains all the details about edits, keywords, and ratings you have
applied to photos.
Editing photos in Lightroom is nondestructive, which means Lightroom
never changes the original photos. Instead, Lightroom records the
details of your edits in a catalog file. The Lightroom catalog file
also includes the location of each photo on your computer, as well as
metadata for the photo, such as keywords and ratings.

You should develop an additional backup protocol for Lightroom.
There are two ways to deal with that if you have an external HDD.
Starting with import you can imort to two locations, you working
location on your primary drive, and to the secondary external
archive/backup drive.
The other way is to conduct a regular back up of your primary Lightroom
image folder & the Lightroom catalog folder to an external HDD.

The card is re-placed in the camera and then formatted in the camera.

If there was some really important images involved I might take an
extra step to back them up another way, but I'm talking about my
normal procedure here.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

That is a good back up plan for your originals. However, by copying the
Lightroom catalog folder to the same external drive you also have a
backup of all the ratings, keywords, edits, etc.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 06:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

if not, then it's not a backup. it's just wasting time and space on
your drive.

more importantly, lightroom does not back up the photos, which is the
important part. the catalog can be recreated but the photos almost
always cannot.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.
Old July 12th 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 17:02:51 +0000, nospam said:

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

Remember, that is only the LR backup catalog, for adjustments, edits,
and metadata, not an image file backup.

if not, then it's not a backup. it's just wasting time and space on
your drive.

The LR backup catalog file is like an OSX recovery partition, and does
not take up much space, but it should also be part of a backup/archive
plan. It is usually zipped and depending on your LR content somewhere
between 50-300MB.

more importantly, lightroom does not back up the photos, which is the
important part. the catalog can be recreated but the photos almost
always cannot.

Exactly, hence a seperate backup of actual image files should be
maintained, or you have no backup at all.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.

....but there is still a backup of originals which is more than many
folks ever do.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

do you have it set to copy that 'backup' to a different drive not in
the computer?

Remember, that is only the LR backup catalog, for adjustments, edits,
and metadata, not an image file backup.

i said that below.

if not, then it's not a backup. it's just wasting time and space on
your drive.

The LR backup catalog file is like an OSX recovery partition, and does
not take up much space, but it should also be part of a backup/archive
plan. It is usually zipped and depending on your LR content somewhere
between 50-300MB.

it can take up a fair amount of space depending on previews and a good
backup strategy would include the lightroom catalog anyway.

it also takes time to do each time when quitting the app and if you
don't quit the app it won't be done.

more importantly, lightroom does not back up the photos, which is the
important part. the catalog can be recreated but the photos almost
always cannot.

Exactly, hence a seperate backup of actual image files should be
maintained, or you have no backup at all.

yep

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

leaving you vulnerable for as much as 23 hours.

...but there is still a backup of originals which is more than many
folks ever do.

true, but the point is that there's as much as a 23 hour window where
something could fail.

the backup should be done immediately, or at least every hour such as
with time machine.
Old July 12th 15, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
philo

On 07/12/2015 09:57 AM, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 04:53:24 -0500, philo wrote:

I have a 32gig card in one camera and a 64gig in the other and can shoot
for months on a card.

Why? Serious question.

After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

It seems that what you do is leave the images on the card and continue
to shoot. I don't see any advantage to that.

Am I missing something?

Never had a problem with one but I copy the images to several different
computers on a regular basis

If redundancy is the goal, it's not necessary to retain the images on
the card. They can be copied to other devices other ways.

The card holds so many images I have no worry about it getting
filled...I can format the card every six months if I want.

I am thinking of just keeping them , when full for one more b/u though
Old July 12th 15, 07:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?
--
Alfred Molon

Haven't seen much about brands here yet, so.... I have had a few failures
on the usual "cheap" cards I used to get, which scared the devil out of me.
Upon a little study on the matter, I have settled on Lexars, which have
never failed me. I format them in camera before I use them. Now using SDXC
64 and 128G for 4k video with great success.

Gary Eickmeier

Old July 12th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-12 18:42:08 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?
--
Alfred Molon

Haven't seen much about brands here yet, so.... I have had a few failures
on the usual "cheap" cards I used to get, which scared the devil out of me.
Upon a little study on the matter, I have settled on Lexars, which have
never failed me. I format them in camera before I use them. Now using SDXC
64 and 128G for 4k video with great success.

I use SanDisk and Lexar CF and SDHC cards and have not exerienced any failures.
That said there was a period back when I was using 2 GB CF cards that
some Lexar CF cards would only upload to my desktop using their
proprietrary card reader, and their proprietry card reader would not
read other brand cards. I am glad to say they fixed that thinking some
time ago. I still have two of those readers which were bundled with the
CF cards, today they are just useless relics.

Savageduck

Old July 12th 15, 07:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Savageduck wrote:

I use SanDisk and Lexar CF and SDHC cards and have not exerienced any
failures.
That said there was a period back when I was using 2 GB CF cards that
some Lexar CF cards would only upload to my desktop using their
proprietrary card reader, and their proprietry card reader would not
read other brand cards. I am glad to say they fixed that thinking some
time ago. I still have two of those readers which were bundled with the
CF cards, today they are just useless relics.

sounds like the jumpshot reader which was a very stupid idea.